Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 12 Jan 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2612175)   #176
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assen now officialy replaced A1GP with Superleague formula on the same date.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2612412)   #177
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Assen now officialy replaced A1GP with Superleague formula on the same date.
And from MSV:

"Brands Hatch will feature a major new single seater event this year to replace A1GP when the Kent circuit welcomes Superleague Formula by Sonangol for the first time on 31 July/1 August."

Old 13 Jan 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2612538)   #178
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember Jonathan Palmer had already openly confirmed A1GP wouldn't be back at Brands, regardless of whether the series was dead or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Perhaps if he bought into Campos he might come to Australia for the AGP?
Might find a queue of investigators, lawyers and baliffs wainting for him.
Hopefully he'll bump into some less savoury characters in a dark alley too (if the bailiffs won't do). I won't be supporting Campos if they take money from someone with such a patent lack of business ethics and common decency.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2612561)   #179
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I won't be supporting Campos if they take money from someone with such a patent lack of business ethics and common decency.
Me neither. I'll spew if it turns out he does have the money but allowed A1GP to die just because he can no longer be bothered (and in the way he dropped the ball days out from Surfers).
Old 13 Jan 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2612753)   #180
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80780

Especially "I've built my own cars and designed my own chassis. I have my own factory. So I'm not a customer boss. I can now build my chassis and run with a Ferrari engine. I'm now the same as everyone else."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
The same except you've got no money nor credibility.
A sleaze-ball who basically ready the "How to Run an Open Wheel Category... to the Ground, FOR DUMMIES" Handbook back-to-front...
Old 16 Jan 2010, 03:16 (Ref:2614101)   #181
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Season 2009/10 definitively canned. We have to wait until late this year if the series can revive...
Old 16 Jan 2010, 03:53 (Ref:2614105)   #182
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that someday someone will look at the fact that it got excellent crowds at Brands, Zandvoort, Gauteng etc and revive it.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2614397)   #183
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
I hope that someday someone will look at the fact that it got excellent crowds at Brands, Zandvoort, Gauteng etc and revive it.
I think it's a great concept and definitely did attract some crowds. And the racing I thought was pretty good too from what I saw.

Last I heard all the cars are in lock up in the condition they last raced and I think it'd take a lot of commitment to get Ferrari back on board and get the cars back in race ready condition. Not to mention lining up venues, teams, drivers and media.

Therefore, especially considering this economic climate, I think it's over and dead.

But we have Superleague and I like that quite a lot.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 23:15 (Ref:2614443)   #184
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1GP certainly looks dead.

With regards to the concept, the idea of a world cup in motor racing is great one, and I hope someone else gives it a try, but A1GP didn't really get it right. If I were running such an event, I'd be going for something that resembled the EFDA Nations Cup more. Technical regulations and handing out the franchises are another matter - doable, but it would probably need to be done by the FIA directly.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2615639)   #185
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
If someone can revive it they basically need to start the whole thing all over from scratch.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2615706)   #186
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think the Sheikh's original concept was right. It all started to go wrong once he decided that having a full-size Scalextric set wasn't so much fun after all and that it was all costing far too much money.

Personally I'm very sorry, because I really enjoyed watching the races and there were many aspects that were different and interesting, especially in the winter months when there was nothing else to watch.

However, dead and buried is what it is now and I hope never to see Tony Texeira connected with another motor racing project.
Old 20 Jan 2010, 03:31 (Ref:2616064)   #187
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I think the Sheikh's original concept was right.

Agreed. But I think the mistake was to travel the world with the cars and not run it like the Footbal World Cup over a number of venues in the one area.
The logical thing for the Gulf if they want thier circuits to turn a buck and get TV exposure is to run say an 8 race series using Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar and Abu Dhabi each twice. Run the series in December January February in the off season for F1 and most other motorsport. Invite Nations to each provide a team and driver and bring thier own sponsorship, providing the races as a packaged TV production to the World.
While I doubt if you would get too many of the established F1 star drivers, there are certainly plenty on the fringe who would be keen to get both the race mileage and exposure in the off-season.
From a Gulf consortium point of view they get exposure, the basing of the cars in the Gulf and it's attendant technology input and a motor racing season, which with some other events like the Dubai 24hr and the historic carnival which was cancelled this year, that could help fill what is becoming a very well provided for hotel and accommodation industry.
Which Shiek can we get to buy the cars and give it a go?

I hope never to see Tony Texeira connected with another motor racing project.
Agreed!!!!!
Old 21 Jan 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2617074)   #188
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wikipedia says that a decision about ownership of the cars should be made today, can't find it (if it's actually right).
Old 24 Jan 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2618831)   #189
M3K
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
M3K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
trouble is, It went down the pan owing a lot of money to officials, like Scrutineers etc. hopefully if it does come back, they'll have the decency to settle their debts
Old 25 Jan 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2619437)   #190
StephNET
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
StephNET should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see the A1GP go. I for one really enojoyed marshaling at Brands this past year (my first and now last, it would seem) A1GP meet.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2619767)   #191
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Latest news here: http://a1.gpgrid.com/latest-a1gp-season-5-situation/

I am glad that the UK company won its case that they were the owners of the cars - maybe some of the creditors might now get a least part of what they are owed back.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2619893)   #192
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post
Latest news here: http://a1.gpgrid.com/latest-a1gp-season-5-situation/

I am glad that the UK company won its case that they were the owners of the cars - maybe some of the creditors might now get a least part of what they are owed back.
I don't think the cars are worth much though without the ferrari engines and electronics.

I heard teams hadn't got prize money for two years either. What a mess.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2620230)   #193
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The house of cards is falling down and Tony 'bull****ter' Teixeira is still talking **** in the press: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81074
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2620434)   #194
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does it actually say about Autosport, when they give so much print space for TT. They have quoted a continuous speel from him over the last few years, and absolutely nothing has been true.. WHY DO THEY BOTHER LISTENING TO HIM????
Old 27 Jan 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2620464)   #195
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
It would be nice if he paid his A1 bills first before splashing out on F1.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2620515)   #196
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Unfortunately for motor racing, the FIA don't have a way of banning him (and other undesirables) from owning racing teams.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2620519)   #197
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It would be nice if he paid his A1 bills first before splashing out on F1.
According to the speedtv.com article on Teixera's desire to take some ownership of the new F1 campos team, Bernie Ecclestone is likely insisting that TT pay off his debt before allowing him to be such a part of F1. Hopefully that is true. Might be the nicest thing Bernie has done in years.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2620545)   #198
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
According to the speedtv.com article on Teixera's desire to take some ownership of the new F1 campos team, Bernie Ecclestone is likely insisting that TT pay off his debt before allowing him to be such a part of F1. Hopefully that is true. Might be the nicest thing Bernie has done in years.
Yeah I saw that as well and I realize there is nothing the FIA can really do, but hopefully enough pressure can be bought to bear on TT to pay his bills.

It is TT's business and he can do with it want he wants. However when you owe people money that is a different story.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2620659)   #199
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
What does it actually say about Autosport, when they give so much print space for TT. They have quoted a continuous speel from him over the last few years, and absolutely nothing has been true.. WHY DO THEY BOTHER LISTENING TO HIM????
Absolutely, Autosport should be ashamed of themselves for giving this undesirable (good term!) free reign to spout his bull****. TT has treated everyone from creditors to teams to fans with utter distain, yet the amoral ***** is still arrogant enough to be saying things like this:

Quote:
"Today I'm in a completely different situation. I've built my own cars and designed my own chassis. I have my own factory. So I'm not a customer boss. I can now build my chassis and run with a Ferrari engine. I'm now the same as everyone else."
I can't believe it but Bernie could actually be the hero of the day for once!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 06:43 (Ref:2620790)   #200
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
It's going from bad to worse. The only hope for a World Cup of Motorsport format is if someone else can come in and buy the assets and rescue it. If TT still thinks that he is going to be running A1GP then that's very bad news as far as I am concerned.

Still surprised that Campos Meta have not come out and squashed these stories, it must be killing their credibility.