Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1027230)   #126
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actully, according to the article if they run IRL spec engines Ford will pull out.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1027384)   #127
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Makes more sense.

Though you'll still need new cars with such an engine change (IRL ones that is, obviously the CART ones are fine)
Old 6 Jul 2004, 06:25 (Ref:1027640)   #128
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will we see turbo engines in a unified series?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1027721)   #129
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd imagine a united series would probably use something akin to the current IndyCar spec.

It's where the manufacturers are.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1027873)   #130
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should come up with a formula that allows for both N/A and turbocharged cars on track at the same time

Last edited by rustyfan; 6 Jul 2004 at 10:50.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1028668)   #131
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
As I noted in the other thread in the CC Forum, I think it is very likely here that there is a good deal of posturing going on. Various people/entities/sponsors are trying to maneuver themselves into a favorable position to take advantage of whatever (IF it happens) single entity may emerge.

I think we need to watch the situation develop - this is neither a done deal for or a done deal ruling out unification - we have a long way to go before we get to the final phase of any project: Praise and Glory for the Non-Combatants!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1028981)   #132
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
As I noted in the other thread in the CC Forum, I think it is very likely here that there is a good deal of posturing going on. Various people/entities/sponsors are trying to maneuver themselves into a favorable position to take advantage of whatever (IF it happens) single entity may emerge.

I think we need to watch the situation develop - this is neither a done deal for or a done deal ruling out unification - we have a long way to go before we get to the final phase of any project: Praise and Glory for the Non-Combatants!

Agreed, although I have grown more and more confident we will never see even a productive discussion between the two sides - there are simply too much hatred, arrogance, elitism and stubborness for anything to happen.

I have to admit I'm starting to loose interest in both championships (and Champ Car in particular), mainly because I get ZERO TV-coverage from Champ Car (thanks to MotorsTV and OWRS shutting out Eurosport, despite a deal apparently being in place at the beginning of the year) and a mere 15 minutes from IndyCar (thanks to Eurosport being so disgustingly biased towards Champ Car).
Old 7 Jul 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1029209)   #133
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Agreed, although I have grown more and more confident we will never see even a productive discussion between the two sides - there are simply too much hatred, arrogance, elitism and stubborness for anything to happen.

I have to admit I'm starting to loose interest in both championships (and Champ <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">Car</A> in particular), mainly because I get ZERO TV-coverage from Champ Car (thanks to MotorsTV and OWRS shutting out Eurosport, despite a deal apparently being in place at the beginning of the year) and a mere 15 minutes from IndyCar (thanks to Eurosport being so disgustingly biased towards Champ Car).

That's a shame, rustyfan, because the IRL race was a great contest this past Sunday at Kansas....15 min. wouldn't do it justice....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1029717)   #134
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I just can't get used to the Spike TV thing - I am usually out late in the afternoons on Sunday and I keep forgetting to set my VCR!

I know reunification/merger is not a real popular item to some, but if something does not happen there is not going to be much for us to watch!

'Course, that'll leave me more time to go to the dirt tracks and channel surf for 3/4 midgets...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1038328)   #135
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This has just been posted on the CC board by racinthestreets:

INDIANAPOLIS (July 16, 2004) - What follows is a statement released today by the Champ Car World Series concerning the recent discussions between Champ Car ownership and Indy Racing League representatives concerning the unification of the two major open-wheel racing series in the United States. This release constitutes the final statements to be made by Champ Car concerning this matter.

Following on the initiative of Roger Penske to explore a unification of open wheel racing, ownership representatives of Champ Car World Series and Indy Racing League have met with Mr. Penske to consider the issues. While the ownership representatives of both series agree that one open wheel series is the optimal situation, it is the belief of all involved that the time is not right for further discussion of unification. Both parties appreciate the efforts of Mr. Penske, and both parties believe that each has a better understanding of where common ground exists. No more meetings are planned and both series are moving forward with their future plans.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1038330)   #136
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This statement from OWRS is what I'd expect.

Until such a point as a merger was a done deal, they have to keep the faith in their business.

It doesn't mean the prospect of a unification is over, I believe.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1038355)   #137
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
On balance I agree with you Kicking-back, but it seems a shame that some momentum towards a resolution of this ridiculous split has not been gained.

As always we will have to watch and wait.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1038363)   #138
Kicking-back
Veteran

Interestingly, this is a joint statement from IRL and OWRS...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1038456)   #139
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Hey Tim,

btw... Access just bowed out... and Greg Ray had said that HE needs $10mil for his single car to run a full season... so we're not talking about Panther's excellence here - the littlest guys need $10mil per car !!! - compare that with Champ Car if you will... and with all other aspects involved here - IRL is digging its grave ?!... the saga shall continue...

zerO
Access is back on the track, zer0....guess both series need paid drivers at this point....

and if Greg Ray had a $10 million budget, he must have flushed about 6 million down the toilet...because I confirmed with people that I know in the IRL that it does not cost $10 million to run a car in this Series...

By the Way....are you going to Portland next year????

Didn't think so....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1038682)   #140
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well folks, looks like this is a dead topic - for now. Since the CC thread on unification has been closed, it's probably a good idea to close this one too.

Good night