Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Apr 2002, 16:00 (Ref:266477)   #1
motorracingfan
Rookie

motorracingfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do I get involved

I am 19 and have been involved in karting for a few years. I would really like to get involved in car racing. I assume that I would need to go to the racing school at Silverstone to obtain a license first? After I have done this, how do I try and get involved in motor racing? I don't know where to start. Can anyone help?
Old 21 Apr 2002, 17:00 (Ref:266563)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for a start have a look at:

http://www.brscc.co.uk/default.asp?page=getting-started

for an idea on costs

http://www.msauk.org for more info

Have you done much karting, if not then it is great way to learn to drive, try www.karting.co.uk and www.club100.co.uk (arrive and drive series, so you do not need to buy much). Try 2-stroke karting to get an idea of speed, etc you will exeriance in the future.

Hope that is a start.
Old 30 Apr 2002, 17:02 (Ref:274523)   #3
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not get along to a few meetings as pit crew / mechanic for a team, (I'm talking about amateur club level of course) there are plenty of drivers out there who would appreciate the help on the day. Also try marshaling - you don't need any special qualifications, just enthusiasm and common sense, have a look at the Marshals forum and get in touch with someone.
Theres loads of advise from various clubs and formulae on the web on where to start.
Whereabouts are you based ?
Old 9 May 2002, 13:08 (Ref:280932)   #4
ErleMinhinnick
Rookie

ErleMinhinnick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to go motor racing on a track eg. Brands Hatch then you have to get a racing licence. These are issued by the governing body in the UK - MSA. Contact them (01753 765000 or www.masuk.org) and they will send you a starter pack. You have to pass a written and practical (ARDS) test at a circuit. Then you will be issued with a National B Licence. This will entitle you to race at club race meetings. After 10 signatures on your licence to say that you have behaved yourself you will be able to upgrade to National A level. This is a progression up to Superlicence (F1) but for the amateur racing that I think you are interested in, National B is sufficient. Again, there is a very wide choice of club racing from vintage to ex-F1 cars. Decide what type of racing you want to do eg. single-seater then ask around. The 750 Motor Club gives very good advice on how to start. Try their website (www.750.co.uk) or I can send you an information pack on their budget single-seater series - Formula Vee. Let me know if you would like this or have further questions.
Regards,
Erle Minhinnick
Formula Vee Centre
750 Motor Club.
Old 9 May 2002, 13:43 (Ref:280979)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look through older threads in this forum - this discussion appears every few weeks
Old 18 May 2002, 09:49 (Ref:289367)   #6
D Fleming
Rookie

D Fleming should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to get started

Hi Motorracingfan,

The only way to get started and go all the way to F1 on talent alone is to log on to: www.trackposition.com If you don't win the F1 scholarship we can still help you raise money and make best use of your existing money to help you get where you want.

Good luck!

David
Old 20 May 2002, 12:35 (Ref:290261)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to get started

Quote:
from trackposition.com

The competition is due to launch soon and will be open to anyone under 25 on 31st December 2002, of any nationality, who has never raced in an FIA approved event and who would qualify for a competition licence in their own country.
thats me out (too old ).
Old 21 May 2002, 18:30 (Ref:291745)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Dave, I'm still not quite sure on some of the specifics. You've mentioned a small amount of assistance for those of us just starting. I'm working hard to try and get a regional Spec Miata program going for next year, but it'll be my first racing experience, and it's not part of the traditional F1 path (but all I can afford, though I'm looking at Formula Mazda if I get some sponsorship in a few years). Will this scholarship be a one-time affair, or do you expect it to renew annually?

I'm still 20, but will karting be a prequisite here? Will you accept other feeder Formulas than what the website outlines as experience? I suppose most of the sponsors the scholarship will be dealing with will be based in and focused on Europe, which means convincing them of supporting someone in Formula Mazda or one of the other North American series would be rather difficult, if not impossible.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 21 May 2002 at 18:32.