Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3712883)   #951
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
There are not too many solutions for the same question, and Adrian did keep the wing width narrow per rules that existed I recall reading, Indy car has a better platform to mandate this and carry it out as a real field test in much worse conditions- traffic filled ovals, than f1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
IndyCar have implemented a freeze on aero-kits for this season and next season a standard aero-kit is being mandated. Here are some preliminary renderings.

Old 17 Feb 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3712898)   #952
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man they are blowing it again

Old 17 Feb 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3712899)   #953
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Man they are blowing it again

Not wanting to derail the thread, as we can discuss this on the IndyCar section but it's been met with a favourable response. It's more in keeping, with the CART/Champ Car cars, which a lot of fans were hoping IndyCar was going to go with when the ICONIC committee met in 2010 to discuss the new car. Instead, we got the DW12 and aero-kits.
Old 17 Feb 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3712914)   #954
gttouring
Veteran

True enough. It looks good, but they have a chance to do cockpits, and have a platform to mandate it. Back to F1 - does a canopy include having covered wheels, this would move the design into LMP territory

Old 17 Feb 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3712918)   #955
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
True enough. It looks good, but they have a chance to do cockpits, and have a platform to mandate it. Back to F1 - does a canopy include having covered wheels, this would move the design into LMP territory

Do IndyCar have a mandate for cockpits? There hasn't been the testing, like we've seen with F1 last season, with Halo being tried out during practice sessions.
Old 17 Feb 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3712921)   #956
gttouring
Veteran

No mandate, but it is a capture spec better than f1 to do so, use fighter canopies, whatever, F1 and closed cockpits or a tighter enclosure doesn't seem to be taken too seriously the halo?

Old 17 Feb 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3712933)   #957
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No mandate, but it is a capture spec better than f1 to do so, use fighter canopies, whatever, F1 and closed cockpits or a tighter enclosure doesn't seem to be taken too seriously the halo?

The cockpit and safety cell of the DW 12 is standard, so there won't be the problem of car manufacturers worrying about their design being compromised. As from next year the airbox goes, with just the roll hoop remaining, which should facilitate a fighter style canopy.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3729188)   #958
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
F1 are dropping the Halo in favour of the Shield. I think that's a good move. The Halo seemed to everything but make the cockpit safer.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...oncept-897962/

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 25 Apr 2017 at 20:50.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3729199)   #959
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, thank god.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3729302)   #960
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are still talking about front mounted deflector, only as shield or screen. Not all debris flies horizontally, if anything it tends to be licked up into an arc, which means top protection is required as well, or what about debris on the corner area it could come from a direction that the car is not pointing in, so a front mounted shield would be as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.
I still maintain if F1 is to introduce debris protection it has to cover the whole of the driver, and that means a full canopy.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3729308)   #961
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
so a front mounted shield would be as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.
I disagree. A front mounted shield would've stopped a spring hitting Massa for example. No solution is perfect, however it is not useless.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3729325)   #962
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A front mounted shield "may" indeed have prevented the spring from hitting Massa.

However if you use the full sentence rather than a partial quote,
Quote:
Not all debris flies horizontally, if anything it tends to be licked up into an arc, which means top protection is required as well, or what about debris on the corner area it could come from a direction that the car is not pointing in, so a front mounted shield would be as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.
The point I was making is that debris doesn't always come from the direction the car is pointing, In a first corner incident what protection does a front shield give if you are behind and offset to the incident by a cars width to the left or right. Or if what if the incident is immediately in front, and the driver has to turn to avoid hitting a car.

In both of this scenarios debris debris could be coming at the driver from 30-60 degrees, missing the shield.

And again a shield does nothing to prevent debris coming down from a height.

Only a canopy can protect in most scenarios, though I accept there are issues with this, but they are not insurmountable.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3729335)   #963
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed, a full canopy would prevent an accident such as the one with Henry Surtees where a stray bouncing tire dropped on top of his head.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3729340)   #964
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A front mounted shield "may" indeed have prevented the spring from hitting Massa.

The point I was making is that debris doesn't always come from the direction the car is pointing, In a first corner incident what protection does a front shield give if you are behind and offset to the incident by a cars width to the left or right. Or if what if the incident is immediately in front, and the driver has to turn to avoid hitting a car.

In both of this scenarios debris debris could be coming at the driver from 30-60 degrees, missing the shield.

Only a canopy can protect in most scenarios, though I accept there are issues with this, but they are not insurmountable.
The point you were making does not fit with your summary of it being as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Your point is perfectly valid - debris comes from different angles. However it is certainly not as useless as you claim it to be, because it will stop debris from the front. I simply don't see how you can claim it being useless. So I'll quote the entire post if you want, but it doesn't really make much sense tbh.

Why is it that when a solution is not a 100% perfect solution to every potential problem in the first go, that it is criticised and called useless? This will stop certain incidents, and doesn't take much effort to implement, or stop extraction of drivers. So why shouldn't it be done until a better solution can be found?
Old 26 Apr 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3729366)   #965
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is the 'aeroscreen' that RBR tried out last season.

The Shield now favoured over the Halo will be at a shallower angle than the 'aeroscreen'. Testing is to be carried out. However, the Halo will be used if the Shield is not ready in time for 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39713765
Old 26 Apr 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3729390)   #966
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Not all debris flies horizontally, if anything it tends to be licked up into an arc, which means top protection is required as well, or what about debris on the corner area it could come from a direction that the car is not pointing in, so a front mounted shield would be as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.

With you 100% ScotsBrutesFan, this canopy would not have helped Henry Surtees or Justin Wilson, I am also doubtful if the artist sketch would have helped Massa with a glancing blow, marginal.

"... about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard." seems wholly appropriate.

Why can't they just do a proper job and put the canopy in place!?
Old 27 Apr 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3729437)   #967
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought there might be something in the regs, wnut, which defines F1 as an open cockpit series.

There isn't.

For comparison, the LMP1H technical regulations open with a definition that the car is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA WEC Technical Regulations, Art. 1.1
This is a racing closed car with no production minimum required.
Aside from the spec of the cockpit opening and definitions around that, there's no corresponding clear clause in the F1 tech regs.

Now that might sound like that would make it easier to change, but I don't think it would - that lack of clarity means there's an implicit reliance on the detail in the regs, which make it clear that F1 is an open cockpit series. To have a canopy would change that implicit reliance completely.

Interesting times for the rule makers and their lawyers, I'd say.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3729465)   #968
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
HI Greem, weren't the LMP regulations changed to closed cars on safety grounds following Michele Alboreto's fatal crash?

As far as the similarity between LMP1s and F1 cars was concerned this was not a problem before, the real difference between F1 and sports prototypes is that the sports cars should be able to accommodate two people sitting side by side and this appears to have gone missing fairly recently.

See your point about the interesting times for the rule makers and their lawyers though. Everything in F1 always seems to head there.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3729473)   #969
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have to say the Halo needed more work and wasn't the best looking. Hopefully the aero screen will be the way to go
Old 27 Apr 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3729475)   #970
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
With you 100% ScotsBrutesFan, this canopy would not have helped Henry Surtees or Justin Wilson, I am also doubtful if the artist sketch would have helped Massa with a glancing blow, marginal.

"... about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard." seems wholly appropriate.

Why can't they just do a proper job and put the canopy in place!?
They both got hit in the top of the front of the helmet, above the visor. Not square on the top.

It would have helped both of them.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3729481)   #971
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Without seeing what exactly the FIA propose, this is conjecture at best.

What can be said for certain as I've said before, not without it's own issues but a full canopy would provide the best protection from all angles.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3739206)   #972
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Adrian Newey is backing the Shield, rather than the Halo and says time is running out for teams to incorporate it into 2018's cars.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129970
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3739217)   #973
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the new shield solution looks the best compromise ATM
Old 8 Jul 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3749631)   #974
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F1 set for test at British GP the Shield, this is the first image revealed.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...actice-927240/

What do you think of the new F1 look?
Old 8 Jul 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3749632)   #975
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
The F1 set for test at British GP the Shield, this is the first image revealed.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...actice-927240/

What do you think of the new F1 look?
Without the driver in the cockpit, it's hard to tell how much the top of the driver's helmet is exposed.