Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2257686)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Imola (Videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QrX7Xa1Iyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLkrV-Lk-u8
Old 26 Jul 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2258270)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice, cheers for that
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2258672)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they tighten the variante alta!? That seems to be much slower than it used to be. That's a shame. The new S/F-area looks cool, but they might have done something different with the pit-entry. I doubt a wheel-to-wheel-fight is very comfortable when you're on the right side.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2258714)   #4
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
Did they tighten the variante alta!? That seems to be much slower than it used to be.
They did, but that happened around 2006, I think.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2258716)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, in 2006:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...no_Changes.svg
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2258796)   #6
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still would like to see the Villeneuve chicane eliminated, but it's progress.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2258914)   #7
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See my tracks thread for an edit.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2258926)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you there Fish.

Is anyone else with me when i say that all of this safety is not necesary for F1? I mean, look at Kubica's horrifying accident at Montreal last season, a corner with no gravel, or tarmac run off, a flat out kink and a concrete wall. He survived, and this is only a freak accident. So are all these acres of tarmac run offs necessary? Roland Ratzenberger went off at a similar corner in a sort of similar way (front wheels lifted in the air) so this shows that F1 has become more safe, car structure wise. Anyone else agree?

now ive went off topic...
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2259034)   #9
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can see why there has been complaints about the pit lane entry, it looks really quiet dangerous!
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2260379)   #10
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
I agree with you there Fish.

Is anyone else with me when i say that all of this safety is not necesary for F1? I mean, look at Kubica's horrifying accident at Montreal last season, a corner with no gravel, or tarmac run off, a flat out kink and a concrete wall. He survived, and this is only a freak accident. So are all these acres of tarmac run offs necessary? Roland Ratzenberger went off at a similar corner in a sort of similar way (front wheels lifted in the air) so this shows that F1 has become more safe, car structure wise. Anyone else agree?

now ive went off topic...
The thing about the Villeneuve chicane is that while it was the point of the track where the highest speeds were reached in 1994, Formula 1 cars had been entering the kink at the end of a mile-long section of track that was full-throttle. Adding the chicane at Tamburello bisected that flat-out run, so speeds would be down around 20 MPH there anyway. Plus, the circuit expanded the run-off area for the Villeneuve chicane, so they could have done the same for the kink.

Altering the Variante Bassa after Barrichello's accident was a matter of common sense: there was no reason for that first right-left combo to be there in the first place, and certainly not with that high curbing. There had been serious accidents at Tamburello before Senna's crash, so altering that corner was inevitable. But the Villeneuve chicane was and is a knee-jerk reaction made under the notion that a driver died there, so something must be done. In reality, if a driver went off at a restored kink in 1995, the improved side-cockpit protection and reduced corner entry speeds made it very likely that he would walk away from it. The same remains true today.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2260523)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Given how close the walls are around parts of Eau Rouge even today, the run-off at the old Tamburello doesn't seem that out of line. The high curb prevented the gravel from scrubbing off speed in Senna's crash.

Even with the Variente Bassa gone, the chicane at Tamburello isn't profiled to be conducive to overtaking. Also, I'm not convinced, even if you removed the Villeneuve Chicane, that you would see passing into Tosa without a flat-out Tamburello. Unless you have the room to get a run going and set up the guy in front before you get to that right-hand bend ahead of Tosa, that bend will foul up most attempts at passing made right before Tosa.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2260537)   #12
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to re-profile the Tamburello chicane because as Purist says it's not really the kind of lap after lap overtaking spot you'd like to see there.

We all know that they'll never re-instate the original Tamburello although I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible from all angles other than perhaps a certain sentimentality. I'd love to see an Imola back on full song; in it's heydey it was truly one of the greatest racing circuits we've ever seen.