Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jun 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3551257)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
forum falling quiet ?

the silence is earshattering

some must have done the Le Mans Legends Race, nothing here

Several TTers were in Karlskoga, no dedicated thread....

some cross Europe to go to from Sweden to Monza

no thread either

communication seems to have switched over to Facebook....
which is full of personal news

sad turn of events

R.E.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3551258)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Is Facebook the Twitter for middle aged?

Am to old for both
Old 16 Jun 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3551263)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
On reflection the people at Le Mans don't do the forum.
Have spoken to many who used to post on here but are either bored by it as its a bit bland or been annoyed by some of postings such as the LMC stuff last year .

It's only as good as the contributors.

If only Tel had done the 2 42 and I hadn't been well and truly ****ed off at LMC.

Withoutout Mike Bell the thing would grind to a stop. Style bough town crier.

He does a great job to try to keep it wound up
Old 16 Jun 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3551294)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

Being of a certain age I've not got into Facebook, LinkedIn or any of the other stuff that seems to become an obsession with some I meet! There's still some good threads on tenths, and chance to learn something every now and then.

i guess the rain kept you away from Snetterton, then, John? If I hadn't lived so close it would have kept me away as well! BTW bumped into a Chap on the ferry this afternoon with his old Riley on trailer, heading for a rally in Italy. He usually races (and wins) in front engined HGPCA......

(Somewhere S of Reims using free wifi.)
Old 16 Jun 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3551301)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Bet he's from Bristol and used to post on here but got annoyed with people making smart arsed comments and hiding behind some crazy name.

Him and I share same weight watchers class!

Yes the rain won on Saturday but very pleased Martin won and him and his little Scottish mate have started doing the smaller meetings.Martin and Sandy are sort of people that Old Bag of Bolts racing needs.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3551380)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I keep an eye on this forum, I check in almost every day and read the threads, but I rarely contribute as it is so Eurocentric.

I am interested in European historic racing, but I don't know enough about it to add much to the discussions and if I start one about Historic racing in Australia, I fear I will be talking to myself.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3551386)   #7
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I keep an eye on this forum, I check in almost every day and read the threads, but I rarely contribute as it is so Eurocentric.

I am interested in European historic racing, but I don't know enough about it to add much to the discussions and if I start one about Historic racing in Australia, I fear I will be talking to myself.
I'll talk to you David, even though you're a tin top man and I have a love of wings and slicks.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3551388)   #8
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David,

Like you I check in , however mainly to the chassis archive section.
We could have our own little Australian based conversation.

What would be excellent , hint to the management , is a sticky with links to major race entry lists for U.K. and Europe as there always seems to be various people from here running at different race meetings up here so to speak.
I know Tim Kuchel , Brabham BT18 and Wayne Wilson , Brabham BT21C are there now as I did the FIA papers for both cars and recently Bill Cutler ran his BMW at Spa and it would be good to see the other entries in their respective meetings however very difficult to do as we are not familiar with the organising
club or promoter , may not be possible however or may exist and I am unaware.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3551435)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
There are lots of lurkers who enjoy 10/10ths. Most race meetings I am approached by people who just enjoy looking at and reading the forum . I find it fantastic that historic race fans all over the world can you'se the site as a meeting place and for information
Old 17 Jun 2015, 07:35 (Ref:3551454)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller View Post
What would be excellent , hint to the management , is a sticky with links to major race entry lists for U.K. and Europe as there always seems to be various people from here running at different race meetings up here so to speak.
Tenths has a Historic Racing calendar http://tentenths.com/forum/calendar.php?c=12 It's even featured on the front page, however we don't have anyone actively maintaining it at present. If anyone wants to volunteer then I can give them access to it. If the "Create Event" button is used in this forum then it'll allow you to create an entry in the calendar and also a event thread within this forum.

Forum participation etc. is down in general. We are certainly "losing" to social media such as twitter and facebook as some people seem more interested in the real-time / "throw away" nature of these platforms. To this end we have tried to improve the "Live Chat" offering here on Tenths to make it accessible from a wider variety of devices and this has some success during larger events. At the moment there is a single "Live Chat" chatroom used for all events, however we certainly have a capability to create an additional "Old Codgers Lounge"

Regarding people getting "annoyed" (I'd like to use a stronger word, but... autocensor!) with what others are posting, it's unfortunately something that's happened from the very first interactive internet sites. I've some interesting psychological theories around this if anyone wants to hear them. We try to keep the moderation on Tenths at a level that encourages different opinions but stops short of all out personal insults etc. If we're failing in that regard then let us know.

We "the management" would welcome ideas or thoughts you guys have on how Tenths can be improved. Feel free to PM me directly or if you'd prefer you can e-mail me at webmaster@tentenths.com

All the staff on Tenths, including myself, are volunteers or do this as a hobby. Tenths is supported by advertising, it is not raking in 6 figure sums each year (well maybe, but that would include after the decimal point!). It can't afford to pay anyone to look after forums so things like sourcing dates, contacting clubs etc. is through the goodwill of the volunteers.

Thanks for your time.

Grant "MagnetON" MacDonald
Old 17 Jun 2015, 08:33 (Ref:3551472)   #11
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a lot of historic racing going on, in the United Kingdom alone - and being someone within the racing community, and being new to the forum, I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much chat on the racing side of things. I come on after a race event and see no one discussing the events and feature races, some in which had excellent drives!

I know from July onward, the calendar is pretty hectic, HSCC alone is looking jam packed - will we have a more interactive forum from then on perhaps?
Old 17 Jun 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3551534)   #12
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it before, but I really used to like John Turner's photo reviews of races and meetings he'd been to. Maybe some of us should try to do something similar? I was at Snetterton last weekend and could and should have taken some pics - the Autosport 3 hours was a great event in seriously difficult conditions.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3551540)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The forum always goes quiet after the French race.

Sadly for those of us that enjoy a lot of type of racing this forum, not the historic section is now very endurance centric. It seems a focal point for a lot of WEC fans whereas places like Autosport and others are very F1 focused. The WEC crew have come here and a lot of the other areas have slowed down a hell of a lot for some reason.

I guess twitter and facebook are the causes, there a few groups on these areas that I am invovled in that have taken a lot of people away from posting interesting threads on various subjects on here as they did in the past.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 19:32 (Ref:3551641)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One thing I forgot to say is that I have made some great friends on this forum . Special
Old 17 Jun 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3551644)   #15
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Iain.

Apart from the guys I share racing duties with, all social friends that I enjoy a chat with (or a quiet shandy with, Nick) are directly from, or indirectly due to, this forum.

As a relatively new kid on the racing scene, it's been invaluable.

I've met some really great people thanks to this forum.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3551648)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get all this 'too quiet' stuff - if it is, then contribute more. If it's not controversial enough - then be controversial.

Would like to see some more race reports!
Old 17 Jun 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3551651)   #17
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree

I made several very close and very nice friends through this forum.

One of the reasons why i contribute regularly

R.E.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3551673)   #18
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Race Report*

Nurburgring Historic Festival
GP Circuit (including the Mercedes Arena - horrible) & Nordschleife

Qually - 3rd in class behind Brian Lambert and Marcus Lawrenz

Running 2nd in class behind Brian Lambert after lap 1

Inherited 1st when Brian's gearbox went after an hour or so

1st in class by 50 seconds until 3 mins from the end.

We must recalibrate our fuel measuring device

*End of race report*

Last edited by skentellytubby; 17 Jun 2015 at 21:41.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3551731)   #19
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant,

Thank you for your post # 10 , my old BT2 Brabham with new owner Chris Chilcott is competing this weekend at Monza but I don't have the slightest idea
of how to find out entry list or anything else as I know not who is the organising club in Italy .

Bryan.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3551732)   #20
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I personally love the Historic Racing Today crowd...I have met some amazing people and some have become great friends I hope.

Chunders right, it always goes quiet in here after Le Mans but I will be honest, I don't post in 10/10ths so much, something I feel a bit guilty of and I will try to some more but in truth Im kinda falling out of love with Motorsport at the moment I think for various reasons that will eventually I'm sure become apparent ....and perhaps thats why I personally am not posting so much.

I know after events there was always a thread going about what went on etc...perhaps because I don't attend so many events at the moment ...is why I have not seen the threads or contributed.

I spoke to JT only last week and I know he is very busy at the moment and is not getting to so many events...I do miss his reports/picture stories that he used to do

There...thats my bit....NEXT!
Old 18 Jun 2015, 05:18 (Ref:3551759)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Grant,

Thank you for your post # 10 , my old BT2 Brabham with new owner Chris Chilcott is competing this weekend at Monza but I don't have the slightest idea
of how to find out entry list or anything else as I know not who is the organising club in Italy .

Bryan.
Hi Bryan . I will be at monza in a couple of hours . Will post up web site . You had a look on the FJ site there is always entry list on there .
Old 18 Jun 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3551769)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we are baring our souls. ...I'm not involved in historic motor sport much these days, limited mostly to Race Retro, and I don't have a lot to say about it. So I mostly lurk and enjoy the virtual company. Or does that make me sound like a stalker?

I'll be at Silverstone Classic this year exhibiting racewear.co.uk in the retail area so please do come.and make yourself known. That's if I'm on my stand much. ..I love the event and the cost of the stand isn't much more than I'd pay for a 3 day pass for the family plus it's tax efficient ;-)

So hopefully I'll have sone historic chatter soon
Old 18 Jun 2015, 07:13 (Ref:3551776)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Grant,

Bryan.
Masters have a link to their races - page below and click on online entry list.

http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...reuropa/event/

Also link to the Monza site but I note that it states entry lists are not yet available (for this weekend).

http://www.monzanet.it/en/show/4876/...Storica%202015

Last edited by gary396; 18 Jun 2015 at 07:18. Reason: Added link
Old 18 Jun 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3551786)   #24
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rarely post but have a look on here most days and normally find something of interest. Nice to see photos etc from the various events. Hope it continues to prosper.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 08:48 (Ref:3551803)   #25
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the size of the historic racing/rallying community in the UK alone, it is interesting there is so little communication between us. I gave up on Motoring News last year after over 40 years and I buy the odd monthly when I am on holiday but they mainly cover the prestige events.
I am on Face Book but I don't really see much going on there either. have we all become anti-social?