Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Apr 2000, 23:06 (Ref:2267)   #1
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ingall didn't know they had been moved back then he is blind as they were back at least 1 lap before the pace car came in.

And yes it is a different corner, the old one was Brewery Bend (was at that corner in 1992, was the reason we decided to go grandstand from then on...people were drunk by 8am). The new corner is approx half way down Brabham Straight (notice how they removed Jones Straight?) and has less space for runoff, but only just.
Old 9 Apr 2000, 23:29 (Ref:2268)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps not going through there at full pace might have brought him unstuck. On th last lap behind the pace car he might have been paying more attention to warming up his tyres than what was happening on the track. OH well, he may have been looking at the barrier and not warming up his tyres, and cold tyres put him out.
Old 10 Apr 2000, 03:25 (Ref:2264)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I have just got a new toy for my comp so i thought i would test it out..forgive me if this seems a little over the top.

but at the Adelaide 500 on the weekend Bradley Jones had a huge crash which in my view could have been avoided.

for thoose that havent see the new track layout think of the old grand prix layout but instead of heading down the old jones straight they have changed it slighly to miss out a few of the old turns..at the kink onto Brabham straight they have used another street to get there and it has made this corner tighter than what it was in the GP days.

ok pic 1 (all pics from Channel 10)

here you see Brad coming into the corner way to fast and there is a tyre wall there just after the huge piece of kurbing.

heres Brad launching off the kurb and hitting the tyres which then caused the car to lift even more and start to roll.

[img]http;//www.zyworld.com/karma_racing/BJ6.jpg[/img]

ok so thats the sequence of events sorry if it is too many just wanted to give it a good try.
Old 10 Apr 2000, 03:33 (Ref:2265)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hey im impressed

anyway the tyres were removed for the sunday race and most of the drivers were now taking the corner in 4th gear instead of third therefore raising the speed of the turn...my belief is the tyres should never of been there in the first place and they should have if they could have opened up the run off area ..when the GP was there it was a reasonably sized run off area but now for the V8's the wall has been moved back in and there is nowhere for an out of control car to have a chance of regaining control..Ok so Brad would have crashed anyway because it was driver error but if the run off was there more than likely he would not have rolled and may not have bounced back into the path of other cars..he probably would have spun and maybe hit the fence and stopped there and then because if you look back to the GP days again his speed would have diminished considerably by the time he would have hit the fence.

all very good in hindsight but what o you all think???

Yours with new toys.
Marcus
Old 10 Apr 2000, 04:24 (Ref:2266)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it is a different corner to the one from the grand prix days, and the reason the chicane is there is because there is a lack of run off. There is no run off because there is a rather large building right behind the concrete wall. If there was no building there, they could have all of the run off in the world and it would be a top gear turn.

Who knows what woulds have happened had there been no tyres and Brad spun, that is for God to know. But i think the reason why that wall was put there was because of Kevin Bell's formula holden stack last year when the car split in half. Had the tyres been there when that happened, maybe it may have not been such a dangerous stack.

But saying that, should it have been there for the race? I'm gonna sit on the fence for this one. It was a safety thing, but it turned out to be dangerous. Larry was silly, I think Russell didnt know that they had been moved back, and Brad was unlucky...
Old 14 Apr 2000, 04:44 (Ref:2269)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
To quote from Auto Action:
"On cold tyres i understeered, but they had moved the tyres and put them further back in so that i didnt expect them to be there. After all that all hell broke loose."
-Russell Ingall

Haha, i was right
Old 14 Apr 2000, 12:16 (Ref:2270)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the fact he got the car up onto two wheels for a short amount of time by hitting the kerb at the wrong angle had nothing to do with it? Though I guess that could be considered understeer.