Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2791669)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
What?
It really was a good joke!

Pat Symonds?
Strategic brain?

Really!
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2791676)   #27
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes really.

Who else would have thought to punt one car into a wall, trigger a mass pitting and run to the flag with the other car who got a free stop.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2791677)   #28
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Yes really.

Who else would have thought to punt one car into a wall, trigger a mass pitting and run to the flag with the other car who got a free stop.
That's not using clever strategy, it's just plain cheating.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2791678)   #29
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
What?
It really was a good joke!

Pat Symonds?
Strategic brain?

Really!
Pat Symonds has long been regarded as one of the smartest strategists in F1. I can only assume you're basing your opinion of him on Singapore '08 alone.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2791679)   #30
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Erm...Pat Symonds has long been regarded as one of the smartest strategists in F1. I can only assume you're basing your opinion of him on Singapore '08 alone.
Ofcourse, since I've never even heard of the guy before that.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2791702)   #31
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ofcourse, since I've never even heard of the guy before that.
I assume that's sarcasm.

If so, what gave you such a negative opinion of him as a strategist?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2791712)   #32
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I assume that's sarcasm.
You assume incorrectly.
I've really never heard of the guy prior to Singapore '08.

Singapore '09, actually, as I didn't even watch the 2007 and 2008 seasons. (since Jacques retired in 2006)
Old 16 Nov 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2791735)   #33
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting piece on this subject

http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/3190
Old 16 Nov 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2791798)   #34
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post

While KERS may be good thing for a technical development I think the whole 'extra passing power' is a joke.
They will allow all sorts of extra 'toys' to make the racing 'entertaining', interesting and spark some action but wont deal with the fundamental problem of too much aero and down force on the cars......
Old 16 Nov 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2791824)   #35
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Yes, 'Hindsight' was a very clever bloke! But after Qually, Mercedes Press Release, said their car didn't work on the Super Soft Options.
So when the Safety Car was deployed Rosberg was straight in for Primes. It's 'that cars' performance that the Ferrari Strategists should have been monitoring...but they were fixated on keeping Webber behind them and missed what was going on with Rosberg and Petrov! Big mistake!
Old 16 Nov 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2791850)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You assume incorrectly.
I've really never heard of the guy prior to Singapore '08.

Singapore '09, actually, as I didn't even watch the 2007 and 2008 seasons. (since Jacques retired in 2006)
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but was Pat Symonds not the Renault strategist when Alonso won his titles in '05 and '06?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2793444)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was Executive Director of Engineering. I think he was pretty heavily involved in strategy.

How could Ferrari make such a bad call though? Alonso has to take some responsibility. If he's good enough to make the brilliant calls, he should be responsible for letting the bad call go ahead on this occasion.

I noticed Andrea Stella was very tentatively telling him "We know you're trying you're best, but you need to push hard" or something thereabouts moments after the 'strategy' blunder. Does he need to treat him with kid gloves? He should have been more forceful and told him to get past Petrov "now".
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2793592)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I noticed Andrea Stella was very tentatively telling him "We know you're trying you're best, but you need to push hard" or something thereabouts moments after the 'strategy' blunder. Does he need to treat him with kid gloves? He should have been more forceful and told him to get past Petrov "now".
I think he does.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2793597)   #39
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I think he does.
Well to be fair, Martin Brundles mentioned on the subject before (in general, not Alonso) that the team says "you must push", as if the driver is just toodling about.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2793617)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Well to be fair, Martin Brundles mentioned on the subject before (in general, not Alonso) that the team says "you must push", as if the driver is just toodling about.
Yes it was almost funny to hear a driver of Fernando's massive calibre getting the hurry up over the pit-to-car....

That sort of thing used to be solely for Massa or the people like Trulli!!

There was also that fantastic line from Stella (apologies if it's been used already)

"we know you have a fantastic talent, now we need you to use it!"

I couldn't work out if that was going to pander to Alonso's ego or completely **** him off!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2793673)   #41
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They just got suckered in to making the wrong call when Webber pitted. Covering Webber wasn't so much the issue as coming out behind Rosberg, Petrov et al, who were all done. As we know overtaking at Abu Dhabi is god damn impossible - Massa spent the whole race behind Alguesuari, too, not that anyone noticed - and the field was getting stretched the longer into the race we got. They just needed to wait until they had those guys covered and he'd (probably) been champion. Ferrari lost the title all on their own, despite Red Bull doing their best during the season to loose it themselves.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2794000)   #42
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everyone seemed to be trying to lose the championship this year. So at least Alonso and Ferrari can console themselves that they won the "I'm Going To Lose The Championship" Championship.