Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4051039)   #2126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back on topic, I am really struggling to listen to Alex Jacques. Ben Edwards is shouty but Alex just shouts.
Old 11 May 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4051041)   #2127
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think he’s that shouty, I think he just keeps under control. He certainly doesn’t bellow like Crofty
Old 11 May 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4051047)   #2128
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Back on topic, I am really struggling to listen to Alex Jacques. Ben Edwards is shouty but Alex just shouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t think he’s that shouty, I think he just keeps under control. He certainly doesn’t bellow like Crofty
Actually I'm with Peter on this one (although it is a long time since I've heard Crofty). I'm trying to warm to Alex but it's just not happening for me, I feel that he's trying too hard to be something that he's not. I just hope they'll get the message and convince him to tone things down a bit...
Old 11 May 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4051092)   #2129
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've pretty much got used to him, tbh......
Old 11 May 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4051119)   #2130
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and here was me thinking he was really good!

oh well
Old 11 May 2021, 20:25 (Ref:4051137)   #2131
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He's very good IMO. Croft on the other channel shouts.

I dont think Alex shouts. He's had the benefit of not having to commentate on a really dull race yet though!
Old 12 May 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4051225)   #2132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And the worst thing is Crofty shouts at almost anything. Most commentators only raise their voice when something exciting happens.

Alex doesn’t seem to shout that much, I think his natural voice just sounds a bit excited. Btw, it was interesting seeing him standing next to Billy Monger on C4’s track guide. He looked almost dwarf size!
Old 12 May 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4051229)   #2133
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
raising your voice when something exciting is happening is called commentating. especially in f1 where it's far more complex than kicking a bag of wind around a field, it's not always apparent that something has happened or about to, and when it does, the viewer doesn't necessarily have the immediate consequences in their head.

that's what a commentator does.
Old 12 May 2021, 11:10 (Ref:4051230)   #2134
S griffin
Veteran

It also can grab the viewers attention, especially if we are a bit distracted. So suddenly we are then focused on the screen when something happens
Old 12 May 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4051251)   #2135
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
raising your voice when something exciting is happening is called commentating. especially in f1 where it's far more complex than kicking a bag of wind around a field, it's not always apparent that something has happened or about to, and when it does, the viewer doesn't necessarily have the immediate consequences in their head.

that's what a commentator does.
Indeed but it sounds so forced from Alex. And I've never heard Croft so I can't compare.
Old 12 May 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4051255)   #2136
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Indeed but it sounds so forced from Alex. And I've never heard Croft so I can't compare.
It's worth tuning in if they ever do a freebie again on Sky, just so that you can appreciate the Channel 4 commentators. Last Sky race I watched, I had a headache by the end of lap 1.
Old 12 May 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4051285)   #2137
S griffin
Veteran

I wouldn’t be surprised if Crofty gives himself a headache with his own shouting. You can hear it echoing off the commentary box walls
Old 12 May 2021, 22:26 (Ref:4051343)   #2138
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You haven't missed anything!
Old 13 May 2021, 05:51 (Ref:4051374)   #2139
S griffin
Veteran

It seems then the extra money to pay for Sky isn't worth it, even if it means seeing it live. I think I will stick to C4
Old 13 May 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4051386)   #2140
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The full event coverage from Sky is, for many, worth the cost involved, despite having to endure Kravitz talking excrement.
I find the coverage of the FIA F2 and F3 series and the coverage of Indycar to be a great added bonus, especially as I can have the Friday coverage on in the background whilst working, and can watch any coverage I missed later.
Overall I feel the Sky commentary and analysis team are very good, giving valuable insights and explanation.
Old 13 May 2021, 08:27 (Ref:4051394)   #2141
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
The full event coverage from Sky is, for many, worth the cost involved, despite having to endure Kravitz talking excrement.
I find the coverage of the FIA F2 and F3 series and the coverage of Indycar to be a great added bonus, especially as I can have the Friday coverage on in the background whilst working, and can watch any coverage I missed later.
Overall I feel the Sky commentary and analysis team are very good, giving valuable insights and explanation.
Ted is alright as long as he sticks to what he knows and stops trying to be a comedian!
It does grate when Ted and Croft try to beat each other to the last word!!

I'd keep Ted over Croft any day of the week.

Trouble is the 2 younger commentators who could feasibly replace Croft are equally as dreadful.
Old 13 May 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4051404)   #2142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This is just my take but we all loved Murray Walker's pants on fire style and I get the impression that all the lead commentators are trying to emulate Murray. The problem is that Murray was an enthusiast first and a commentator second. As professional journalists Croft, Alex etc. are being forced to do something that came naturally to Murray.
Raising voices when things are exciting is fine but constant shouting is just tedious.
Old 13 May 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4051420)   #2143
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don’t think they’re trying to emulate murray, peter. f1 isn’t cricket - and even the cricket commentators get excited when something happens. alex IS an enthusiast - there’s a really good interview with him on the formula 2 site. even the expert sidekicks get pretty animated when something happens whilst they’re talking.

i’m not sure what you want or expect?
Old 13 May 2021, 09:59 (Ref:4051423)   #2144
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It appears you missed my point. And I realise motorsport is somewhat different to cricket or football etc. Alex may be an enthusiast but he's a journalist first because that's what pays the bills.
Old 13 May 2021, 10:07 (Ref:4051427)   #2145
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don’t think i did. look at jack nicholls - he was formerly of this parish, and very much an enthusiast before he earned a living from talking. just because somebody earns their money from it doesn’t mean they can’t be an enthusiast.
Old 13 May 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4051428)   #2146
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
To me, Alex's delivery just seems false or forced, it just doesn't seem natural, he seems (to me) to over-emphasise things. I am prepared to accept that this could be an age thing for me. My benchmark Murray Walker (who I grew up listening to) was about 30 years older than me, and although I don't know his age I presume I am the same generation as Ben Edwards. Alex is obviously significantly younger, and maybe will also appeal to the younger generation that the powers that be are trying to attract, but at the moment I'd like some sort of app that automatically mutes the sound when he is talking, but allows me to still hear David Coulthard, Mark Webber and Billy Monger*.
*But of course Billy is also a youngster and I don't have a problem with his delivery. I've obviously got some sort of personal problem with Alex...
Old 13 May 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4051431)   #2147
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
When I've been overseas and watched in a foreign language I've managed quite well to understand the race. I don't need someone telling me that car a is faster than car b etc. I'm sure Alex is a fine person but as with Viva, I think he needs to tone it down.
Old 13 May 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4051444)   #2148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be perfectly happy to hear more from Billy (who I think is excellent value) and Webber (who seems to have disappeared).
Old 13 May 2021, 11:32 (Ref:4051451)   #2149
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'd be perfectly happy to hear more from Billy (who I think is excellent value) and Webber (who seems to have disappeared).
Agreed.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4051630)   #2150
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I like Webber but he does suffer from the verbal diarrhea syndrome a lot. In terms of his delivery, not his knowledge I mean.

Mind you not all ex racing drivers are car silky tongued car salesman so I ought to cut them a bit of slack.

Tags
pinks