Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3725845)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's great to see this. And it'll be a little PR boost for such a dismal time for Honda in F1.

Monaco is an atypical race where he has won before anyway. So he's not going to learn there nor develop the car there really. So if you're going to miss a race from a developmental point of view, Monaco is the one to miss.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3725847)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
It's an admission by McLaren they're crap and will still be crap by Monaco because it's unthinkable otherwise.

Don't waste your time sticking Button in, he was on the beach well before last year finished and he's done. Give Giovinazzi another shot. He's race fit and quick. Prone to errors as we've seen but quick - you can teach somebody not to crash but can't teach someone to be quick and all that.
I dunno if you should put Giovinazzi in at Monaco. Elsewhere maybe but not Monaco.

I don't think Button will get the nod. That said, he does know the place.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3725848)   #28
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget that Alonso's wages are being paid by Honda, not McLaren. So there is a strong possibility that his also on contract to Honda and therefore this could have been a deal that Alonso did with them that McLaren couldn't refuse.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3725852)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that Alonso's wages are being paid by Honda, not McLaren. So there is a strong possibility that his also on contract to Honda and therefore this could have been a deal that Alonso did with them that McLaren couldn't refuse.
The Indy entry is under the McLaren-Honda-Andretti name.

I think the American influence within McLaren now has helped to make this happen. As previously hinted - a nod to Liberty that McLaren can operate outside of F1?

Zak Brown: 'I’m particularly delighted to have been able to bring McLaren back to Indianapolis in my very first year as McLaren’s Executive Director'
Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa: 'McLaren is more than merely a Formula 1 team'
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3725871)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
McLaren to enter Indy 500?
It will be a McLaren entry run by Andretti Autosport, which is fitting considering Michael Andretti drove for McLaren in 1993.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3725872)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
When I saw the headline, I thought it was a bit late for April's fools. It just seemed too good to be true. Not only competing in the Indy 500, but missing the Monaco GP to do it. I know Jim Clark did it, but that was back in 1965!

But now it's happening, this is the best news motorsport has had for a long time. I wonder if it's any coincidence that now Bernie's gone this is happening. Who knows? After all, Bernie wasn't happy the Hulk competed in LM24...

And he's shown he's a real racer by saying he's gonna aim for the Triple Crown, like Graham Hill did. Although Montoya's got the best chance at the moment, all he needs to do is win LM24

Also this is a big boost to Indycars and will raise the profile worldwide of it. Suddenly my faith in motorsport has been raised again
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3725873)   #32
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
All the politics in the world couldn't stop me saying YEAH! when I read the news.

Brilliant.
Exactly how I felt!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3725879)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With Alonso driving in the 500 this year, I think it's time to stop both races clashing.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3725881)   #34
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
This is absolutely insane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It will be a McLaren entry run by Andretti Autosport, which is fitting considering Michael Andretti drove for McLaren in 1993.
Let's hope that Andretti gives him a better car setup than McLaren did then.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3725884)   #35
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With Alonso driving in the 500 this year, I think it's time to stop both races clashing.
With Liberty Media at the helm (who will surely want to see growth in F1 stateside), that is a distinct possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke to Alonso/McLaren/Honda in private to help find this solution with no apparent losers.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3725886)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
interesting times these are!

JV came pretty close but i dont see him getting another shot at it. as mentioned earlier, JPM has a chance but is LeMans something he wants to do?

i guess more interesting for me is if this is what this means for the future of Mclaren...can they feasibly do both series or is this just a one off?

with a little over a month until the Indy 500 this idea seems like a really late idea in terms of preparation at least...surely if he is serious about the 'triple crown' he should run an oval race once or twice before Indy no?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3725888)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perhaps, but with different disciplines being so specialized, this an anomaly. If McLeran were where Ferrari or Mercedes are right now, no chance this happens.

Besides, I like waking up and watching Monaco, then the 500 and top it off with a 600 miler on an American holiday weekend. Greatest single day in motor racing, outside another "day" in June

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
with a little over a month until the Indy 500 this idea seems like a really late idea in terms of preparation at least...surely if he is serious about the 'triple crown' he should run an oval race once or twice before Indy no?
That was my first thought and the closest I can get to a comparison is Nigel being a rookie and nearly winning the 500, finishing third. He raced at Surfers and crashed at PIR, according to his wiki page. Is this correct? If so, that's not much prep at all before the month of May.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3725889)   #38
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Incredible development!!

Something going on as why would team/manufacturer want to lose their best chance of a strong result in Monaco?!
Yeah - the Indy 500!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3725891)   #39
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
JPM has a chance but is LeMans something he wants to do?
You never know.

He did of course do a test in a Porsche LMP1 car at Bahrain last year (or the year before that)
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3725894)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is why I love the USA 🇺🇸
Brilliant news well done to all concerned the viewing audience is going to be massive, they might ask Alex Rossi to drive his F1 ride ?
😊😊😊
Old 12 Apr 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3725896)   #41
Tobse998
Rookie

Germany
Tobse998 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting news indeed!

But there are still some questions that need answers.

Is it already confirmed that Button will drive in Monaco? Until now I read some rumors about that, but afaik there is no official confirmation yet.
Could a different driver step in? Is there anyone except Button on McLarens radar?

And the second question is: Does it really make sense to miss the Monaco weekend? It might be the best opportunity for McLaren to get some decent points and Alonso racing somewhere else might hurt them badly at the end of the season in the constructors championship.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3725899)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobse998 View Post
Is it already confirmed that Button will drive in Monaco? Until now I read some rumors about that, but afaik there is no official confirmation yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.GIF
Views:	17
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	49409
Old 12 Apr 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3725903)   #43
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
interesting times these are!

JV came pretty close but i dont see him getting another shot at it. as mentioned earlier, JPM has a chance but is LeMans something he wants to do?

i guess more interesting for me is if this is what this means for the future of Mclaren...can they feasibly do both series or is this just a one off?

Chris
Old 12 Apr 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3725908)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Perhaps, but with different disciplines being so specialized, this an anomaly. If McLeran were where Ferrari or Mercedes are right now, no chance this happens.

Besides, I like waking up and watching Monaco, then the 500 and top it off with a 600 miler on an American holiday weekend. Greatest single day in motor racing, outside another "day" in June .
I like watching both races of a Sunday too but I think it's good for motorsport if drivers from one series can compete in an other. It was good to see Hulkenberg win at Le Mans in 2015, with Porsche and a shame he wasn't able to defend that win in 2016 because the Azerbaijan European Grand Prix clashed. Someone has seen some sense and no GPs will clash with Le Mans this year.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3725910)   #45
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I like watching both races of a Sunday too but I think it's good for motorsport if drivers from one series can compete in an other. It was good to see Hulkenberg win at Le Mans in 2015, with Porsche and a shame he wasn't able to defend that win in 2016 because the Azerbaijan European Grand Prix clashed. Someone has seen some sense and no GPs will clash with Le Mans this year.
I believe the lack of clash is actually an accident. The original schedule was a clash, but when the German GP was removed from the calender, the Azerbaijan round was moved to even out the gap between races.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3725913)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
"The month of May" now starts on the 15th, so Alonso can hit his home GP and then concentrate the rest of the month on Indy, so there's the possibility this can be scheduled out in the future, but it's up to F1 to move the Monaco date. The 500 won't move my lifetime and there'd have to be a large enough gap in the calendar to make this reasonably possible.

What are the chances of Monaco moving the date and F1 having a long enough void in the calendar? Not disagreeing with you; just asking questions....
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3725931)   #47
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There doesn't have to be a clash. F1 drivers could still get plenty of Indy practice in through May if the Monaco GP moved back a weekend or 2 surely? Then they could still enter both like the good old days.

Monaco wasn't always at the end of May...
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3725947)   #48
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
There doesn't have to be a clash. F1 drivers could still get plenty of Indy practice in through May if the Monaco GP moved back a weekend or 2 surely? Then they could still enter both like the good old days.

Monaco wasn't always at the end of May...
If they move it (the Monaco GP), they'll probably put it on the Le Mans weekend

Other than that, a very brave decision by Alonso -- and McLaren.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3725951)   #49
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Vonage....Hello Gulf...could you please contact Mclaren Honda Andretti and make this car look good??!!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3725964)   #50
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monaco is traditionally held on the Sunday following Ascension Thursday although that does not alway hold true in recent years.
I seem to remember Mario Andretti criss crossing the Atlantic to do both Indy and the Monaco GP in the 70's.