Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3727707)   #101
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ditto this!

Really like the idea, but I think the risk is huge!
Considering the nature of the 500, it's always going to be risky. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the last couple of times a driver got seriously injured was in 2010, when Mike Conway went into the catch fencing and then in 2015, when James Hinchcliffe was impaled by a suspension part going into the cockpit, during practice. Hinchcliffe's was a freak accident.

Safety has come along way in IndyCar, what with SAFER Barrier installed at ovals plus the tub of the DW-12 is immensely strong. You just have to look at Dario Franchitti's crash at Houston in 2013 and wonder why he wasn't killed.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3727717)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
How realistic is the simulator? Does it simulate engine failures? Then you have to walk back to the simulated garage.

Maybe they have a sim where the driver unhooks the helmet surround padding, takes the steering wheel off, resists the temptation to fling it to the moon, undo belts, get out, put the wheel back, wave at the crowd like nothing is wrong..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Apr 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3727813)   #103
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lets be honest, any simulator that doesn't simulate camping chairs isn't worth using in modern F1.

How about Alonso decides he's had enough of Honda and McLaren, but he's good mates with Zak Brown, so goes and drives for United Autosport at Le Mans.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3727817)   #104
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

How about Alonso decides he's had enough of Honda and McLaren, but he's good mates with Zak Brown, so goes and drives for United Autosport at Le Mans.
Works for me.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3727881)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Lets be honest, any simulator that doesn't simulate camping chairs isn't worth using in modern F1.

How about Alonso decides that after Indy he's had enough of Honda, McLaren and F1 but he becomes good mates with Michael Andretti?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3727888)   #106
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The Spaniard knows he can be competitive at Le Mans well into his 40s with the right programme. He wants another F1 title. It must hurt that Lewis has three and Vettel four.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3727895)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Considering the nature of the 500, it's always going to be risky. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the last couple of times a driver got seriously injured was in 2010, when Mike Conway went into the catch fencing and then in 2015, when James Hinchcliffe was impaled by a suspension part going into the cockpit, during practice. Hinchcliffe's was a freak accident.

Safety has come along way in IndyCar, what with SAFER Barrier installed at ovals plus the tub of the DW-12 is immensely strong. You just have to look at Dario Franchitti's crash at Houston in 2013 and wonder why he wasn't killed.
My major concern is that Fred has a huge reputation and probably high expectations of what he can achieve at Indy.
He is taking on highly skilled and very experienced oval racing drivers in a discipline that he has no experience of, close pack racing, the unique handling characteristics of cars set up for and on ovals with very hard walls and no run offs. He is also busy with his F1 season and has not devoted sufficient time to his preparation.
The chances of his ambition exceeding his talent and this going pear shaped seem to be large.

If it all happens to work out for him, I would agree that he could realistically switch to Indycars, but he is on one hang of a learning curve!

Clark and Hill brought new technology to Indy and had an unfair advantage.
Mansell had massive mileage before he ran a race on an oval

In my book thinking you can arrive in a professional racing series and compete with no experience and preparation is just pure arrogance and the risks are just plain unacceptable.

Should this all work out, I think there is a fair chance that he switches to Indycar.
It is going to be a hang of a learning curve though!

Last edited by wnut; 20 Apr 2017 at 01:23.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3727899)   #108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
My major concern is that Fred has a huge reputation and probably high expectations of what he can achieve at Indy.
He is taking on highly skilled and very experienced oval racing drivers in a discipline that he has no experience of, close pack racing, the unique handling characteristics of cars set up for and on ovals with very hard walls and no run offs. He is also busy with his F1 season and has not devoted sufficient time to his preparation.
The chances of his ambition exceeding his talent and this going pear shaped seem to be large.

If it all happens to work out for him, I would agree that he could realistically switch to Indycars, but he is on one hang of a learning curve!

Clark and Hill brought new technology to Indy and had an unfair advantage.
Mansell had massive mileage before he ran a race on an oval

In my book thinking you can arrive in a professional racing series and compete with no experience and preparation is just pure arrogance and the risks are just plain unacceptable.

Should this all work out, I think there is a fair chance that he switches to Indycar.
It is going to be a hang of a learning curve though!
It's not like Alonso will be going into the 500 unprepared. He will have to undergo and complete the Rookie Orientation Program, where the emphasis will focus on car control, car placement and a consistent driving pattern in addition to the speed benchmarks. Before he goes out on his first run, he will have covered everything from the general racing line, to reading the wind to prepare for entry into Turn 1.

Fortunately since the introduction of the DW-12, the pack racing that was a feature of IndyCar oval racing, is pretty much a thing of the past. Oval races tend to be more like they were in the CART era, with the cars becoming much more spread out.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 03:30 (Ref:3727904)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mario Andretti Confronts The Haters
Old 20 Apr 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3727905)   #110
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's an incorrect assertion if you watched individual races. It was varies much more than that. 2015 was the complete opposite of 2016, the field got very strung out between cautions.

Alonso will get decent mileage during the practice days, even if the ROP and pre-Indy testing is not particularly long. It wouldn't surprise me if it's multiple race distances, more than any F1 testing allowed these days.

As for the safety comment, may I direct you to the British F4 accident that happened last weekend. Or Alonso's own injuries in F1. Motorsport is not some padded risk-free activity. I would like to add that Hinchcliffe's crash was caused by a mechanical failure of an obsolete part (which was also run way past its recommended mileage). That was a fault of the mechanic(s) responsible, not the series which constantly makes safety updates.

Rookies will crash at some point on an oval, part of finding the limits: happened to Busch, Chilton, Pigot among others. They walked away and learned something for the next session.

Last edited by 10TENTHS; 20 Apr 2017 at 03:37.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 03:35 (Ref:3727907)   #111
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
I think that's an incorrect assertion if you watched individual races. It was varies much more than that. 2015 was the complete opposite of 2016, the field got very strung out between cautions.

Alonso will get decent mileage during the practice days, even if the ROP and pre-Indy testing is not particularly long. It wouldn't surprise me if it's multiple race distances, more than any F1 testing allowed these days.

As for the safety comment, may I direct you to the British F4 accident that happened last weekend. Or Alonso's own injuries in F1. Motorsport is not some padded risk-free activity. I would like to add that Hinchcliffe's crash was caused by a mechanical failure of an obsolete part (which was also run way past its recommended mileage).
What are the engine mileage rules for Indy? Can a team swap out an engine before its prescribed mileage and not be penalised?

If there is a metric shedload of testing going on, the Honda might get a workout
Old 20 Apr 2017, 03:46 (Ref:3727910)   #112
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What are the engine mileage rules for Indy? Can a team swap out an engine before its prescribed mileage and not be penalised?
Only a manufacturer is penalised for early changes (before 2500 miles). Usually a new engine is fitted by the time they get to carb day, or they may even swap it in for qualifying.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3727916)   #113
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not very nice.

http://newsok.com/article/feed/1205209
Old 20 Apr 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3727925)   #114
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Also not very good. That's a very poorly written article.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 07:01 (Ref:3727931)   #115
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an article written by an American with very little clue about F1. Sadly like a lot of Americans and sports writers from over there, only one country exists, the one they work in.

What else would you expect in all honesty?
Old 20 Apr 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3727945)   #116
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It's an article written by an American with very little clue about F1. Sadly like a lot of Americans and sports writers from over there, only one country exists, the one they work in.

While the US is generally unaware and unconcerned about F1, I think that author is still the exception and not the rule. I wouldn't say her opinion is typical within her peer group. I think she also has a history of being combative. She was fairly roasted here in the US for that article. I personally place it in the clickbait category.

Richard
Old 20 Apr 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3727946)   #117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

What an awful article and reading it, Jenna Fryer doesn't seems to have much of a clue about what's been happening to IndyCar in general. She says: "IndyCar has some nice momentum right now but the idea of importing Alonso does little for long-term growth". Well it looks like that momentum has completely passed Jenna by. Having Alonso race in the 500 has nothing to do with the growth of the series. Last year saw the addition of two of the most iconic road courses to the calendar, Road America and Watkins Glen. Does she honestly think having either Tony Stewart or Danica Patrick would do anything for the growth of the series?

I find it very hard to believe he will be missing the ROP. My understanding is it's obligatory. In 2012, Sebastien Bourdais had to do a 'refresher course'. According to Racer.com: "IndyCar will arrange for at least one familiarization test with Andretti and Honda at IMS prior to the official Indy 500 Rookie Orientation Program. ROP is scheduled for Monday, May 15, the day after Alonso takes part in the Spanish Grand Prix."

6th paragraph, https://www.racer.com/indycar/item/1...-with-andretti
Old 20 Apr 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3727954)   #118
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think even despite his achievements it would be binding to have to complete a rookie test, every driver who has done the 500 in the past has done, no matter their past careers.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3727972)   #119
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
only one country exists, the one they work in.
One more thing to add. I think it is less about US being so insular as it is that some fans (and apparently media) can be hyper focused on a particular part of motorsports. And that is not a "US" thing. In her case, it might be just Indycar and maybe NASCAR. You look at other forums even here and you will see some who only care about one particular aspect of the sport. While other may have a wider spectrum of interests.

I saw a post (I think it was on Twitter) and it was someone who was supporting her opinion. They basically said that Alonso wouldn't really do anything to move the needle on viewership because (paraphrase here)... "Those fans are likely already going to be watching the 500".

I got a real chuckle out of that. I haven't watched the Indy 500 or any other Indycar racing since the CART days. That is not due to a boycott or axe to grind with the entire Tony George split series fiasco, but rather I just lost interest (mostly in the cars and drivers). It may be spectacular racing today, and I think I have heard it is, but I just haven't bothered to check it out. But i can tell you something. I WILL be watching the Indy 500 this year!

Richard
Old 20 Apr 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3727982)   #120
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness though, would the f1 press be any kinder if the Indy equivalent to Alonso decided to skip the 500 to run as a one off rookie in Monaco?
Old 20 Apr 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3727986)   #121
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in fairness though, would the f1 press be any kinder if the Indy equivalent to Alonso decided to skip the 500 to run as a one off rookie in Monaco?
That is somewhat my point. There is someone who always thinks their narrow focus is all that matters. So yeah, someone somewhere within the F1 media circus would have something negative to say. No to mention some fans doing the same. It doesn't make them any less of an idiot however.

Richard
Old 20 Apr 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3727989)   #122
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It doesn't make them any less of an idiot however.
true that!
Old 20 Apr 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3728010)   #123
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Rebutted:
Quote:
Roebuck also talks about those tha don't get it. Fortunately Alonso does.
http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...-its-ignorance
Old 20 Apr 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3728036)   #124
ciscotex
Rookie

ciscotex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridciscotex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's an article written by an American with very little clue about F1. Sadly like a lot of Americans ... from over there, only one country exists, the one they work in.

No offense intended, but, sadly, I find this comment to be as ignorant, arrogant, and parochial as the article to which it refers. A couple of folks painting with a rather broad brush here, methinks.

I get a kick out of hearing the tweets and comments from top level drag racers, Indycar racers, IMSA and Pirelli racers, and the good ole boys of NASCAR all commenting intelligently on the F1 race du jour. The reality, over here at least, is that a lot of drivers and gearheads are motorsports fans in general, and are far more interested in (and familiar with) with worldwide motorsport than most writers focused on their narrow sphere of interest.

Ok. I'm off my soapbox now and off to work the MotoGP race this weekend at COTA. Hope I didn't gore too many sacred cows.

Paul
Old 20 Apr 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3728059)   #125
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

Quote:
Ask Mr Andretti his view on her article...