Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3765881)   #101
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think there is a Lockheed P38 Lightning on the display circuit, so probably that. They're described as 'twin boom', as only one fuselage, where the driver sits....
Confirmed, it flew again briefly today, absolutely splendid sight. Evidently it's the only airworthy example in Europe.
Some great racing today making up, in part at least, for the inclement weather. I've been fortunate enough once again to have a weekend pass in return for a few hours charity work over the weekend. Been spectating out at no name between Fordwater and St Mary's where the real action takes place! It always amuses me how so many people cram around the pits and adjacent corners where this isn't room to swing a cat whereas out at the really fast parts of the circuit there is acres of space. More to the point it gives a far better view of the bravery and commitment through the fast corners but then again I'm a race fan and didn't bother entering for the best dressed competition. Great weekend for me if more than a bit damp
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3765882)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Interesting TT. Was Chris Ward under too much pressure to get another win?
Not sure about pressure but it was uncharacteristic.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3765885)   #103
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not sure about pressure but it was uncharacteristic.
The angles he was getting that E type in approaching St Mary's in his pursuit of David Hart in the Cobra was unbelievable and I think the touch with the no.21 Cobra through Fordwater was just a slight misjudgement incurring the time penalty and a damaged corner on the Cobra. These TT races are really ferocious, if anyone saw the Shedden vs Van der Garde battle last year they are really hard fought.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3765886)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes, I thought it was a disappointing drive, and not what am used to seeing, so you could be right.....
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3765887)   #105
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We are going in the morning to collect our two cars . I thought the you tube coverage was blooming fantastic . I really enjoyed the Ecurrie Ecosse film . Some of the car control was brilliant. I'm also chuffed that three of my mates won races and all three deserved. I also had a great time at Zolder but yes I would much rather would of been racing at Goodwood .
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3765890)   #106
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I thought it was a disappointing drive, and not what am used to seeing, so you could be right.....
The e type looked decidedly 2nd hand by the time he had finished his stint.......mesmerising car control though!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3765896)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes overall the you tube coverage was excellent. To the extent that I'm feeling a bit like I did at the end of Le Mans.

Still another 6 weeks to Portimao!
Old 10 Sep 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3765899)   #108
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic event! The pedal car race stole the show, Le Mans start, young Mr. Dark coming on to win from 34th, more people in victory lane than for any other event. Most of the drivers appeared to be missing their front teeth! Our sports future is in good hands.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3765979)   #109
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Personally I would have black flagged the guy, I wonder if the retirement of the Bryant Cobra may have been caused by it's trip across the grass?

Enthusiasm is one thing thing, but BTCC style nudging is not acceptable, deliberate or otherwise.

Great coverage and excellent racing. I too loved the Techmech win, a proper car.

Oh! I was a Donington for the CSCC meeting, eat your heart out Delta.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3765983)   #110
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Although I was spectating not far away the incident took place head on from my viewing angle; having watched it again it's pretty clear that it was punt in the rear causing the cobra to spin off. On reflection I think the time penalty was pretty lenient.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3765985)   #111
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
The TT was the only race I managed to watch yesterday, and even then I couldn't watch the whole thing. I was impressed by the car control most of the front runners displayed, but I was appalled by Chris Ward's driving in his E-Type. With all due respect to his co-driver, he was the one driving like he was in a BTCC race, he looked like an accident waiting to happen!
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3765991)   #112
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Think there is a Lockheed P38 Lightning on the display circuit, so probably that. They're described as 'twin boom', as only one fuselage, where the driver sits....
According to the information board it is a 1944 Lockheed P-38 Lightning & was there courtesy of Red Bull. Got a lovely shot of it since it was flying a little lower than the others!
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3765993)   #113
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The TT was the only race I managed to watch yesterday, and even then I couldn't watch the whole thing. I was impressed by the car control most of the front runners displayed, but I was appalled by Chris Ward's driving in his E-Type. With all due respect to his co-driver, he was the one driving like he was in a BTCC race, he looked like an accident waiting to happen!
As I said it was most out of character. Not sure how an apology works in that respect. Certainly the Cobra backed into the Jaguar just as they approached Fordwater and in the general scheme of things that was less severe than the contact with the other Cobra.

Definitely deserved of a penalty but, lest we forget, JD Classics provide an awful lot of cars to Goodwood.

Perhaps it's more evidence of the "professionalisation" of Historic Motorsport.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3766003)   #114
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
goodwood

This board has been supportive of penalties for driving misdemeanours of one sort or another in the past, no? In practice, of course, it's not so easy to determine when to penalise and by how much. I was struck by the 5 sec penalty for brushing the chicane. I don't recall that happening on previous occasions and it was a bit out of kilter with the more relaxed attitude taken to track limits at other corners, eg Woodcote where a few cars made use of the escape tarmac.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3766010)   #115
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The chicane was re constructed this year and is now built with water filled blocks (name escapes). So hitting it has more possibilities of damaging the car thus a brush will receive a 5 or 10 secs penalty. Hit it harder and you are likely to be retired.

Knowing Chris Ward from sharing the track with him my main thought is disappointment. Don't think I've seen him drive that way before.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3766012)   #116
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm. I don't quite get the logic. It's a track limits issue, no? Why enforce at one corner and not others. In addition, now the chicane is harder and heavier, and hitting it can cause a problem for the car involved, the incentives are surely aligned.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3766014)   #117
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He actually made contact on 4 separate occasions so penalty was not surprising. It was, as you all say, very unWardlike. He is an excellent racer but I do wonder whether the poor start from pole when he was swamped by several cars caused him untypically to overdrive when actually the combination of him and Sheds would have probably got the job done anyway. Easy for me to say, of course. It was good to see a different driver combo win that race, in any event.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3766023)   #118
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the race I definitely thought Chris Ward strayed beyond the limit in terms of aggressive driving. Coupled with Gordon Shedden punting the Hart Cobra off last year, I think they've really blotted their copy book. I also thought he was pretty ungracious about it in the post race interview. A shame because as someone else has pointed out here (and as Anthony Reid also pointed out in the commentary) it's a one hour race and they are the only car that can lap consistently in the 1.25s and thus were on course to win if it held together mechanically. They didn't need the argy bargy.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3766025)   #119
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also a shame that Andy Newall shunted the 64 GTO. It would have been good to see a Ferrari up the front end as it has become an E Type/Cobra benefit in recent years. Frank Stippler's second place on the grid suggests that the Cobras and Es haven't been developed so much in recent years that a well prepped and driven GTO can't win.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3766040)   #120
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
He actually made contact on 4 separate occasions so penalty was not surprising. It was, as you all say, very unWardlike. He is an excellent racer but I do wonder whether the poor start from pole when he was swamped by several cars caused him untypically to overdrive when actually the combination of him and Sheds would have probably got the job done anyway. Easy for me to say, of course. It was good to see a different driver combo win that race, in any event.
Perhaps he'd spent the weekend in Craig Davies's company and he'd worn off on him.
Also what was it with the Hart Cobra ignoring the black and orange flag, then admitting it after saying he just wanted to drive even though he knew the car was dumping oil or water? It always used to be, ignore the flag for three laps and you were excluded.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3766041)   #121
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Ferraris- Let's not forget that a 246 Dino won the last race of the day yesterday. That was great to see!
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3766045)   #122
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Hmm. I don't quite get the logic. It's a track limits issue, no? Why enforce at one corner and not others. In addition, now the chicane is harder and heavier, and hitting it can cause a problem for the car involved, the incentives are surely aligned.
Possibly. I was just surmising as to the reasoning.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3766061)   #123
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Assuming the GTO is an old, not a new car its clearly been developed to keep pace with the new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
Also a shame that Andy Newall shunted the 64 GTO. It would have been good to see a Ferrari up the front end as it has become an E Type/Cobra benefit in recent years. Frank Stippler's second place on the grid suggests that the Cobras and Es haven't been developed so much in recent years that a well prepped and driven GTO can't win.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3766065)   #124
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was a bit of a shame when they interviewed one of the bike guys who said the Manx Norton that won was only built last year.

I think it's fair to say that overall the quality of the racing was excellent. And as I said before the whole event seems so much more slick than of old. I haven't been since 2003, I think, but I feel encouraged to return because it is that different.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3766069)   #125
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was a bit of a shame when they interviewed one of the bike guys who said the Manx Norton that won was only built last year.
That is the norm in classic bike racing, at least on this level
you go for a Walmsley Norton engine
more powerful and more reliable than an original one

original ones also very much worn out by now

even then they took of head and barrel of almost all the Nortons in their pits for "routine maintenance"

RuE