Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Jan 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3790815)   #126
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I'm not sure how the cars got to South Africa last year. With round 11 (Germany) taking place in mid-October, will the World cars already be on the way to South Africa by late October? Would be nice to see PSRXVW or EKS show up and give the VARX Beetles a good thrashing!
The WRX cars went by sea freight and left the week after Germany.

Returning to GRC in Europe, I would expect the WRX tracks to have a contract clause preventing them hosting a rival series but a certain UK track with a bit of rallycross history now has an opening. Probably wishful thinking but you never know.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3790823)   #127
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Let's be honest GRC has run its course anyway

If it were not for Red Bull keeping it going it would have died a few years back. There is just no need for two series
Global Rallycross airs on NBC.

FIA World Rallycross airs mainly on cable networks.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3790837)   #128
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
The WRX cars went by sea freight and left the week after Germany.
Ah, that could rule out any World drivers in the GRC round then. Hopefully some of the European regulars will still be able to challenge though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
Returning to GRC in Europe, I would expect the WRX tracks to have a contract clause preventing them hosting a rival series but a certain UK track with a bit of rallycross history now has an opening. Probably wishful thinking but you never know.
Ha, it's wishful thinking but I am hoping the same thing! I would definitely give the GRC a look if it came to Lydden.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3790847)   #129
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were to compete in Sweden Tierp is probably where they would go since they aren't contracted to anything at the moment and wants to conquer out Höljes. They will also host their first rallycross event as part of RallyX.

Höljes wanted to host a GRC round a few years ago when it was uncertain if they would get to host WRX anymore. Could imagine that other former ERC tracks would like to host GRC.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3790921)   #130
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this is Red Bull trying to encroach on WRX feet, which is maybe how I see it a bit now, then I am all for it.

Especially if they can sort of get in there and start having a sort of Mini European series.

They have the backing so it might be this is the best way for a proper ERX to start and dump WRX for good
Old 8 Jan 2018, 09:30 (Ref:3791335)   #131
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure a lot of you have already seen the picture on Facebook, but Kjetil Larsen has bought himself a Marklund Polo:

With 2018 as the last year Touring Cars will be supporting World rounds I wonder if we will see many drivers moving classes?

I saw RX Inside posting that Magda Andersson is struggling for backing, so I wonder if Marklund Motorsport will just be running a car for Anton in 2018?
Old 8 Jan 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3791360)   #132
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I was surprised that the car was so "cheap". Figures from other WRX teams tend to be higher.

The Touring car class is probably doomed and the Norwegians are the ones keeping the series alive really.

2017 was supposed to be a development year for Anton so maybe he might end up in WRX in some way. Marklund has ran two cars for some years so I would guess they will to be back this year with two cars again. At least cars isn't a problem since they got a few.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3791455)   #133
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I was surprised that the car was so "cheap".
How "cheap" was it?

Quote:
Figures from other WRX teams tend to be higher.
How much are they quoting?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3791513)   #134
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
How "cheap" was it?

How much are they quoting?
On the article about the purchase the price was higher than 2 million SEK, so perhaps in between 2 million and 2,5 million SEK. According to a currency converter online, 2,5 million SEK is ca 225,000 GBP and €255,000. The car was built in 2016 and has only done three events so it is in very good condition. Supercars in Sweden usually go for prices like this so that is why I thought it was cheap at least.

EKS wanted to sell their cars for at a minimum of 6 million SEK I believe. I also remember something of 10 million too but I am not sure if I remember that correctly. Solberg's old car was probably just as much as well, at least higher than this Marklund car.

The Focus RX wasn't for sell when the project started but it is a interesting figure. I haven't found out about this myself but got told about it, so this may not be the official price. But when the first Focus was built by M-Sport and Ford, the estimated price of buying it was apparently 20 million SEK.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3791592)   #135
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats because you are paying the development costs and basically Ford saying these are not for sale.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3791748)   #136
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Pure Rallycross reporting that Oliver Bennett will be running a Mini (looks like a Countryman from the render) in 2018, looks like all will be revealed at Autosport!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3791769)   #137
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he wanted to pootle around at the back/in the pits, he could have stayed with his old car. Odd choice.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3791773)   #138
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
If he wanted to pootle around at the back/in the pits, he could have stayed with his old car. Odd choice.
Yeah, I agree. His current car should, on paper at least, be a competitive car among the European crowd. Starting from scratch is surely making things even trickier?

Motorsport News have an article on Bennett...

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...duates-to-wrx/

...so you can see the render of the new car in all its (awful looking) glory!

European Championship plus as many World rounds as he (or rather his sponsors) can afford.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3791782)   #139
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pure Rallycross reporting that Oliver Bennett will be running a Mini (looks like a Countryman from the render) in 2018, looks like all will be revealed at Autosport!
This render looks like a "normal" Mini to me... counting the number of doors
Also the MN article says "based on Mini’s Cooper production model, is different to the Countryman version that has previously been campaigned in World RX by JRM"
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3791790)   #140
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
This render looks like a "normal" Mini to me... counting the number of doors
Also the MN article says "based on Mini’s Cooper production model, is different to the Countryman version that has previously been campaigned in World RX by JRM"
I could only see the render on the front page of Pure Rallycross and there was quite a lot of text obscuring it: what I could see looked boxy and ugly, so I assumed it was the Countryman!

You are right though, it does look like a "normal" MINI.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3791791)   #141
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
He is obviously now in cahoots and paying a bunch of money to he who shall not be named byut somehow receives sponsorships worth millions.

He runs these awfuol things now
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3791793)   #142
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
He is obviously now in cahoots and paying a bunch of money to he who shall not be named byut somehow receives sponsorships worth millions.

He runs these awfuol things now
"He who shall not be named" is apparently providing some technical input on the chassis, but that's it. The car will be built (and presumably run) by Simpson Motorsport.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3791998)   #143
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A photo shared on Facebook shows CSUCSU at a test in Blyton with Albatec..
Old 11 Jan 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3792031)   #144
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Pictures of Oliver Bennett's MINI have just appeared on the World Rallycross Facebook page:

It's, er, "eye catching" isn't it?
Old 11 Jan 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3792037)   #145
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Surely that can't be the supposed livery? Couldn't it just be a test livery? Nice to see another Mini though, I like them for some reason.

Even if I very much doubt it, hopefully the car will be somewhat competitive. Single-entry privateers usually don't stand a chance at all in WRX.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3792045)   #146
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Surely that can't be the supposed livery? Couldn't it just be a test livery? Nice to see another Mini though, I like them for some reason.
I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere official, but someone has commented that this is just a promo livery for the Autosport show and the car will have a different colour scheme when it hits the track. That aside, I think the car itself looks awful, especially that front grill: it makes the MINI Countryman look good!

Quote:
Even if I very much doubt it, hopefully the car will be somewhat competitive. Single-entry privateers usually don't stand a chance at all in WRX.
Yeah, its challenging to run a proven car against the World guys, let alone develop something new.

Just seen that my favourite World car of the last couple of years has gone up for sale:

GRX Facebook - M-Sport Ford Fiesta for sale

There are many Fiestas out there, but the M-Sport cars are the best looking (and sounding) in my opinion. Now where did I leave those lottery numbers?...
Old 12 Jan 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3792264)   #147
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Surely that can't be the supposed livery? Couldn't it just be a test livery?
Quote:
I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere official, but someone has commented that this is just a promo livery for the Autosport show and the car will have a different colour scheme when it hits the track.
I was at the Autosport show yesterday - and it looks as bad in the flesh as it does in the photos! That can't be the final llivery as it's got 'Sponsor Us' plastered all over it which wouldn't be a great look - it does also question how much of the budget is in place already......
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3792287)   #148
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I saw a comment yesterday on Facebook that the real livery would be revealed in March.

Anton Marklund told motorsportivarmland.nu that he will probably do ERX again and maybe also the Norwegian round. Furthermore, he said that he would like to do all the European WRX rounds but that he wasn't that optimistic that it would happen perhaps.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3792313)   #149
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Motorsport News have an article on Bennett...

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...duates-to-wrx/

...so you can see the render of the new car in all its (awful looking) glory!

For a moment I thought it was a Lifan 320.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3792379)   #150
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Never heard of Lifan before but you are right.