Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3800976)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last some good news a long wait

https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...8-grc-calendar

Is this Doran/GRC organised or are the clowns involved with img involved aswell?

Lydden visit could be on the cards providing there no clowns and no circus
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3800977)   #2
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No circus?? It's American!
Should be fun though. Lots of action on both days as it's a double header. Be nice to have some British entries and support classes too!
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3800981)   #3
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
No circus?? It's American!
Should be fun though. Lots of action on both days as it's a double header. Be nice to have some British entries and support classes too!
American or not it will be nice to have a non other event, just pray the entries are only for the ERC regulars not the others...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3800985)   #4
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I just meant that as it's American there will be a massive circus in town. Expect a huge jump too. Not sure where though... Maybe at the chicane!

The news isn't on the wrx website and they don't miss a social media trick so maybe they aren't involved.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3800988)   #5
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
I just meant that as it's American there will be a massive circus in town. Expect a huge jump too. Not sure where though... Maybe at the chicane!

The news isn't on the wrx website and they don't miss a social media trick so maybe they aren't involved.
Let's kin hope they are not involved any of em,
£50 adult ticket for the weekend I see
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3801006)   #6
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets are roughly the same price as the other series though. I'm quite excited about it to be honest.

IMG needs a kick in the backside and this might be it.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3801007)   #7
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Yup not cheap but cheaper than Silverstone. Plus I guess it is essentially two rounds so 25 each per round. So only 10 quid more than a British round
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3801014)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Expect a huge jump too. Not sure where though...
70 ft confirmed.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3801020)   #9
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I saw reference in the press release to a 70ft jump but it seemed to me to be more a description of the GRC series (i.e. that it has close action, top racers and a signature 70ft jump) rather than saying they would have a jump at lydden.

Hard to see where it could safely go at lydden, other than the infield somewhere. And don't the usually have a bail out for the jump? Where does that go... ?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3801031)   #10
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kent Online article seems to suggest that there will be a jump there:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbu...he-big-160068/
(Though a lot of the news stories relating to this, seem to be regurgitating the original press release, so that may just be assumption there.)

If the jump is happening though, I did wonder if it might be on the straight between the exit of Chessons and the turn in for the Elbow (that would be well placed right in front of the crowd line). As said above though, not sure if that might be a bit tight in terms of space for a bail out route.

The ticket price is perhaps a bit steep, but if they can attract some decent UK/European entrants I think that could justify the entry costs. If they are going to market it as a UK/Europe Vs. USA race, then the presence of some of the European Championship regulars is vital.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3801077)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The prices are 28 per day each day and 50 for the weekend. Will you be camping there in nearly November? Thought not.

For me a missed opportunity by Lydden. All they have done is said "bugger we can't make half a million with WRX, tell you what just throw the exact same prices at a series no-one knows anything about, in the freezing cold and the mugs will show up to support their favourite track, coz they wont be going to Silverstone.

The only bonus of the time oif year is that the track will probably b wetter so the lack of any off road element will be less. And we need to see what supports are there.

Sorry Pat I sussed you out as soon as I saw the prices mate. Cash grab to amke up for not having WRX, that's all this is
Old 13 Feb 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3801085)   #12
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I dare say he won't miss your absence. Cheer up pal.

Given that it will all take place on the same day, i would expect track action to be fairly non-stop. Especially if they chuck in a support series.

Would I rather watch WRX? Obviously yes. But, given that it's two events, it actually represents better value as there is no need for you to go to both days. It's cheaper than a day at the BTCC.

Depending on entry and support, it could be a very fun day out. Especially if the rain comes out to mess with the yanks.

We'll be there and we are not mugs.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3801092)   #13
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if they will use the joker as it is used in "regular" rallycross. In GRC the joker works the opposite way, the slower alternative is the regular track and the faster one is the joker that they are allowed to use once.

The regulations differs from ERX and WRX though and with the round being so late ERX regulars might be looking towards the next season instead. The VW's and the Ford's is quite the competition, could have been WRX cars just as well.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3801132)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good news, means the spirit if rallycross is still alive at Lydden where it should be
Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3801133)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK the main issues are these.

BTRDA final round is the same weekend, and the next weekend is BRX final round.

WRX teams will be en route to South Africa, that bastion of rallycross history. So there will be nothing other than historics, rage buggies with a few notional guest appearances. ERX run different regs, so while you might get Scotts guys (he would probably change the cars maybe) no-one else unless they are paid travel money will come I imagine.

GRC usually gets about 12 cars max, so this is about the same price as WRX 2017, which is a bigger series but IMG would not allow Lydden to run anything like as good a show as it could because of the supposed pit issues, nonsense, they simply didn't get enough gate money to warrant putting ERX on there.

It's a cash grab pure and simple, and sadly I can see through that as easily as I hope a few more do, it's October, it's cold, no-one will camp. And it's two meetings in two days to make sure the yanks all turn up! And also so they can charge the same both days, max profit.

Call me cynical but I can see through this crap too easily sorry.

It's great GRC is coming, but why not just for once for Gods sake put something before profit, try and get people interested, it's a crap date, it's not nice weather like WRX usually is, make it an easier, less profit based choice FFS instead of doing what you've done.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3801158)   #16
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Note the prices are advertised as Earlybird, which implies nearer the event or on the gate prices could be higher.

Looking at ticket prices for the US events, they are $35 which is around £25, so the single day price is a bit higher at current exchange rates, but the weekend price works out the same.

In the past the Series has ended on a double header so I don't think that its a case of "And it's two meetings in two days to make sure the yanks all turn up! And also so they can charge the same both days, max profit." as mention above.

I haven't seen mention of GRC Lites, but if they are coming, and a few from RX2 or Rallycross on Ice Cars/Drivers are allowed to race, want to race, and if their cars are not en route to South Africa. There is great potential.

Just as shame about the clash of dates with the BTRDA on the Saturday, especially as the event has moved forward from its more usual November date.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3801212)   #17
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Only time will tell with this event, nearer the time entries will be revealed and other classes and rules for current competitive cars eligible or not. Not got a clue how many entrants in the GRC so yes may be expensive but the big thing for me is the fact that it's rallycross a different organisation which means Lydden hill has opened its eyes and jumped out of the bed it was nicely tucked up in with the other sXXXe!
It's a start, and a nice change Foust is a class act has been missed these past 4 yrs by moi!

Last edited by schanche; 14 Feb 2018 at 09:30.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3801215)   #18
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be cautious about buying tickets before we know what the support races are and who is driving. I do not expect many privateers looking forward to a 70ft. tabletop jump.

I also do not expect ERX drivers present. As per the Kent article, Doran snubbed IMG to get GRC. IMG will not allow a serious rival series to get a foothold in Europe. If ERX drivers are tempted to do the GRC races, I expect they will then be persuaded by IMG to join the WRX in South Africa instead.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3801235)   #19
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I wonder what the details of ERX standalone event were. If Pat says it wasn't big enough in favour of GRC (which, as set out above, is quite small in terms of entries). If it was full ERX supercar , super 1600 and touring car then that would be preferable in my opinion. Maybe it was only one or two of those classes... Guess we'll never know.

I think it's an exciting opportunity that, with proper effort to bring support series and action to the fans and good entries, could be very exciting.
I'd like to see Swifts and British supercars there in support. Then maybe a UK v US showdown at the end. But I suspect that will never happen as the GRC wouldn't want it overlapping their show.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3801247)   #20
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMG could never "persuade" drivers to go to South Africa, the most expensive trip besides from the North American rounds.

Firstly, the round is two months after the last ERX round and preparations for next season might have started for some already. Otherwise, it definitely will have started during the SA round.

Going there means getting the car back close to Xmas, at that point you are already behind schedule if you are to use that car again for the upcoming season. Possible damages during the round would just delay preparations and add more costs.

Secondly, they wouldn't stand a chance against the WRX cars and drivers. It would be a meaningless trip competition wise.

If IMG covered all the costs (more than unlikely), then they might go. They would still risk their cars though and push preparations ahead of themselves.

I get that IMG probably opposes ERX regulars going to Lydden. But for an ERX regular it would make more sense than going to SA. I doubt they even have that kind of extra money at the end of the season and want to risk the upcoming season going there.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3801279)   #21
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Always nice to see you blessing another thread with your eternal optimism Chunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche
Only time will tell with this event, nearer the time entries will be revealed and other classes and rules for current competitive cars eligible or not.
Yeah, I agree. If they can get a handful of decent British and European cars on the entry then I think that will go a long way to justifying the cost. The numbers of regular drivers may not be quite as high as the World Championship, but each day is a complete event so with a few extra cars we should see 15+ Supercar races including at least three finals (four with enough cars).

The difference in regulation is in an interesting point, but I'm not sure it will be too much of an issue. As of last year the GRC didn't have the same ECU restrictions as the World Championship, so I think the differences may be limited to tyres and fuel? The latter point might affect mapping on British/European cars, but that's not a major issue to get round.

Race Tech did discuss the Championship regulation differences a year or so ago (when they covered the OMSE Civic). Will have to dig the article out and refresh my memory on the subject.
Quote:
I wonder what the details of ERX standalone event were. If Pat says it wasn't big enough in favour of GRC (which, as set out above, is quite small in terms of entries). If it was full ERX supercar , super 1600 and touring car then that would be preferable in my opinion. Maybe it was only one or two of those classes... Guess we'll never know.
Yeah, would be interesting to know what is/was being proposed there. Sure Pat would have been part of the presentation with regards to the electrification of World Rallycross and, as alluded to in the Kent Online article, the idea of standalone European events could be much more appealing in a couple of years time.

I have said in the other thread (and it is really related to the subject of this thread), but I think the way in which the future of the European Championship is handled is absolutely critical now.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3801286)   #22
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gonna be expensive.
Rent a winter ready camper.
Rent a big ass 4x4 to get the camper out of the field.
See 10 cars going slow in the knee deep mudwater.
Hmm.
Pat better comes up quickly with some side programs to make it worthwhile.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3801325)   #23
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know if it was an ERX round I would already have bought a ticket, but as others have said until I know what I'm getting for my money, which may not be for some time, I will wait and see. Unfortunately it seems the GRC is on the decline, fewer cars and US circuits hardly queuing up to hold a round but maybe actually going global to a degree will help rejuvenate the championship.

One more thought, how about incorporating the grand prix into the event, may help to appeal to drivers from Europe and give the gp a meaning and a little more prestige again.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3801352)   #24
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there some news about a buggy class? Polaris or something? I expect we'll see those.

I just hope the parking is sorted out... I've seen people struggle to get off the hill in May, never mind October when I expect it'll have been raining for ages.

Looks like they'll be running in the dark too, with 6&7pm finishes. It's going to be chaos, isn't it?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3801355)   #25
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMG is not good, GRC is not good...
Is rallycross any good at all for some of you?

Yes indeed, the GRC is even a bigger "show" then IMG, Pat Doran at least shows he wants to bring ALL rallycross to Lydden.

Don't think (hope) the Polaris class will join the Lydden Hill race.

The interview with Pat Doran confirms what i said months ago...
The WRX - ERX split race dates in the next years.