Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3766024)   #31
kerb
Rookie

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
1) cheating pleb

2) You forgot the ever present AstroTurf strip.
1) yes, I am. I don't like that and Abu Dhabi because they're too cut-able

2) Astroturf and concrete are mostly used next to a kerb and not as runoff.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3769480)   #32
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Hungaroring and Macau are racers tracks, not spectators tracks.
Having been to Hungaroring once in the 90s as a spectator, I must disagree. From my seat near the top of the main grandstand opposite of the beginning of the pit building, I could see most of the circuit. However, the parts that were missing from view include the track's main overtaking zone in Turn 1 which was too far away down the front straight. But I was amazed that, in the distance, I could see the chicane over the top of the pit building, and long right-hander that comes before it, too.

In the beginning, I used to design my tracks with inspiration from real circuits in mind and tried to emulate the feel of those, such as 80s Silverstone and Monza. Later, I developed a liking for designing conceptual circuits, and part of that is the credo that a racetrack should not have "a bit of everything" to make it unique. For example, at one point, I tried to design the perfect "Mickey Mouse Course". In the mid-90s, I upgraded most of my older tracks with chicanes or added additional loops to make them safer, sometimes changing the character of a circuit. When I came here, my focus first turned to designing circuits from a car setup perspective, so different parts of a track would require setup compromises to be fast over a complete lap. Later, my attention shifted towards natural shapes as souces for track design which culminated in the observation that most of John Hugenholtz's tracks resemble pieces of ginger. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Thinking of fans doesn't necessarily mean stadium-like twisty sections.

However, Hockenheim's Motodrom is an extremely boring section. Cars can barely overtake there. Fan friendly sections doesn't mean just having grandstands with view to the track, but putting grandstands close to action.
Motodrom is boring now but when Hockenheim still had its long straights, cars were a handful in the twisty Motodrom as they had to go through the hairpins on a low downforce setup that accomodated the straights perfectly but not that slow section. So you could see the drivers' skills up close. Now, no more, as the circuit allows for a boring high downforce setup since the early 2000s.
Old Today, 00:44 (Ref:3769667)   #33
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid