Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2565765)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kamui Kobayashi - anyone else impressed?

Odd we haven't had a thread on this. Was anyone else impressed with Kamui Kobayashi's debut? Just missing out on the points in his first race and some good overtakes - surely he's now a prospect for 2010? This sounds premature, but I think he might be Japan's first F1 race winner.

The only issue is that he does have appear to have a somewhat aggressive style, let's see if it pays dividends. I can't say I've been following his career closely, especially following GP2 leaving ITV4 ...
Old 20 Oct 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2565767)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved his move round Nakajima!

I am definetaly a fan, especialy if he is partnered with Kimi next season at Toyota. Unlikey, but maaan that would be good.
Old 20 Oct 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2565775)   #3
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was definitly impressed. He drove a hard race, and was intimidated by no one. It was nice to see a rookie doing well, compared to poor Jamie and the like, who lack confedince due to know testing.

John
Old 20 Oct 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2565776)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was impressed on first impressions. It's early days, and we know that Toyota can go further up the grid and up the results, but his pace wasn't bad, he showed fire and I ask- when did he last drive an F1 car?

How's Toyota's simulator?

Looked like a job well done.
Old 20 Oct 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2565812)   #5
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Toyota getting Raikonnen make it more likely that Kobayashi gets the drive, or would they want someone who would be able to push Kimi a little more? Because being paired with the Finn could crush his confidence right?
Old 20 Oct 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2565814)   #6
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. He drove very well. I especially liked when Button did the dive bomb on him, and let Button out brake himself so he could overtake him again Shows he's a real racer I think.

I hope he drives next year. It would be good to see a successful Japanese driver.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 20 Oct 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2565846)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was impressed. Did I mention that somewhere else ?

Such are the times we live in... in old days he would have already a bunch of admirers posting here. Maybe because he's japanese and F1 never really got a japanese star.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:00 (Ref:2565850)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bononi we are afraid to be too impressed, maybe it wont be cool if we admit it...

I think he did a really good job in his first F1 Grand Prix..Now his hair stylist, well never mind..
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2565860)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I followed his career since I saw him oliterate the Formula Renault Eurocup field at Donington Park in 2005 in the most appalling conditions! He has always been an aggressive but fair driver most of the time. He qualified on pole for the Macau F3 GP at his first attempt which not many people manage, and has won 5 GP2 races. I thought he did a fine job. Take Fisi as an example; its taking him a while to acclimatise to a different car. And here is Kamui very quickly adapting to a different FORMULA altogether, with barely any running! He was as high as 3rd, and diced with the championship leader and even re-overtook him, that is good stuff. He's got some balls. I haven't seen Alguersuari or Grosjean doing anything like that.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2565861)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
..Now his hair stylist, well never mind..
Uhn... I have to check this out !
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2565868)   #11
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hugely impressed, he's a natural racer. That's not to say he was flawless though, he needs to work on his braking zone manners a bit! And his pace needs to improve. Bear in mind Button passed him and escaped at 1.5 seconds per laps, and he then fell into the clutches of Nakajima and maybe someone else I can't remember.

Still, for a debut he was superb! Lots of potential there.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:48 (Ref:2565869)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, he impressed me enough to give him DotR. It was very promising. It must have caught Toyota's attention.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2565870)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Bear in mind Button passed him and escaped at 1.5 seconds per laps, and he then fell into the clutches of Nakajima and maybe someone else I can't remember.
Yeah, but for a first time with no training and in a track he never raced before, that was... wow, having the others, all veterans and knowing the car the whole season, running faster than him is not really something to worry. Fantastic. Like you said huge potential there.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2565955)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I certainly enoyed his debut as Im sure he did too

Well done and I hope we get to see more of him
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2566215)   #15
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
For some reason John Howett has described Kamui as 'a bit slow' at Interlagos. And to be honest, I can't see any logic in that. He qualified 11th, finished 10th and set his fastest lap of the race (11th fastest overall) right near the end, proving he is more than physically capable. Howett is such a miserable sod.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2566251)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I couldn't agree more - I really thought that was quite demoralising for a guy who put in a really good debut imo, and in alot of other people's opinions.

Selby
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2566310)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What an odd thing to say. For a man whose teams have been slow to do anything in F1. The most boring, lifeless, passion-sapping marketing excuse of a team.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2566313)   #18
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was quite impressed for a first drive, and a Japanese driver at that. I've not been the slightest bit moved by any of the other Japanese drivers we've had. This one on the other hand. He wasn't afraid to dice it with whomever.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2566341)   #19
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I was very impressed. Whether he'll remain this exciting I cannot say, but it would be nice to think now that he will get a shot next season. The signs look good.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2566571)   #20
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely. I thought it was one of the most impressive debuts in recent years. With a little experience, I think he could become Japan's first top level F1 driver. I hope he gets serious consideration for a seat in 2010...
Old 21 Oct 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2566584)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Bononi we are afraid to be too impressed, maybe it wont be cool if we admit it...
He was alright. *shrugs and tries to look non-plussed*
Old 21 Oct 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2566649)   #22
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just downright bloody dangerous. Get alongside him, and he just drives at you; should have been DQd for wrecking Nakajima.

As he's a Toyota driver, why not send him to the NASCAR Sprint Cup for three years or so; that might teach him some track manners.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2566674)   #23
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Just downright bloody dangerous. Get alongside him, and he just drives at you; should have been DQd for wrecking Nakajima.

As he's a Toyota driver, why not send him to the NASCAR Sprint Cup for three years or so; that might teach him some track manners.
I agree with you to a point and am sure he will behave at the next race but he is exciting to watch and hopefully he will go better at Abu Dabhi. It's good to see a Japanese driver in the field as they are such fanatics as much as the Italians so am glad to see them rooting for one of their own and will be a huge benefit if Toyota hire him for next year.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2566678)   #24
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was impressed with him until he punted Nakajima off.

Take the krashy out of Kobayashi and you'll have a good driver.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 22 Oct 2009, 00:34 (Ref:2566750)   #25
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post

He isn't downright bloody dangerous, is he? He wasn't even penalised. Nakajima said in hindsight he wouldn't have got past, so don't disagree with Kazuki himself, never mind saying he should have been 'DQd'- how petty. Have you ever watched some of the maneuvers a Brazilian driver of the name Ayrton Senna used to do? Judge for yourself what is dangerous...and what are merely racing incidents.

Last edited by runshaw; 22 Oct 2009 at 00:43.