Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2010, 05:36 (Ref:2719075)   #1
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kobayashi's tyre change

His hard tyres held up all race - was there anything in the rules to prevent him stopping at the end of the last lap - the finish line was after his pit therefore he would have finished the race on the soft tyres - sort of a variation on the MS cheat at Silverstone - he would have been even better placed
Old 28 Jun 2010, 07:44 (Ref:2719097)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I guess it comes down to what the word 'use' means.

Sporting reg 25.4

e) Unless he has used intermediate or wet-weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least
one set of each specification of dry-weather tyres during the race.

Another loophole? Or is it covered by the regulation that prevents Schumacher's Silverstone 'cheat' ?
Old 28 Jun 2010, 07:45 (Ref:2719098)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Do you know what, I was thinking this exact same thing when he was coming up toward the end of his stint. I was thinking "he must be dying to just stay put.... hang on...", and thought back to the Silverstone/Schumacher incident.

It'd certainly be frowned upon, but what about its legality?

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2719103)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre View Post
His hard tyres held up all race - was there anything in the rules to prevent him stopping at the end of the last lap - the finish line was after his pit therefore he would have finished the race on the soft tyres - sort of a variation on the MS cheat at Silverstone - he would have been even better placed
I thought that thiswastheoriginalintent, but then when they realised that the others would be penalised for safety indiscretionsthey covered off the controversy as they expected the podium finish to be given to them when 20 sec penalties were applied.

Alternatively theshort sprint on softs may have been quicker than running the hards for those few laps - pretty well born out in overtakin Alonso and Buemi.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2719106)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Alternatively theshort sprint on softs may have been quicker than running the hards for those few laps - pretty well born out in overtakin Alonso and Buemi.
I think that he was still in 4th or 5th place when he crossed the finishing line with the soft tyres on.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2719173)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking of that. The Sauber garage was before the finish line, so if he were to make that change he would legitimately used both sets of tyres, even though the latter had only completed about a hundred metres. Of course, he had pretty much worn them down to the canvas when he came in.

This drive showed that Kobayashi strongly deserves a better drive. I think that a team of him and Kubica in Renault next year would be a clear statement of intent, and with the right technical package could be a challenger for the WCC bronze medals and race wins.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2719178)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
/\ That idea I like.

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2719179)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
So technically, could this have been an option..?

IF this is a loophole, they could easily override it by saying "at least one lap of the race must be completed on the option tyre".

If that isn't already written up.

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2719183)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rules should specify at least five laps of green-flag racing, otherwise peopel can gain an unfair advantage by getting their pitstops out of the way under the safety car. I don't know if Sauber thought of stopping right at the end, but tehre was probably some ground by which a penalty could have been issued.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2719192)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
The rules should specify at least five laps of green-flag racing, otherwise peopel can gain an unfair advantage by getting their pitstops out of the way under the safety car. I don't know if Sauber thought of stopping right at the end, but tehre was probably some ground by which a penalty could have been issued.
How on Earth is that an unfair advantage? It's called a strategy.

If the Sauber is easy on its tyres and can do 90% race distance on them then they should work to its strengths and not have to worry about people like you who want to create rules against them. Well done to Sauber.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2719194)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Fair point, zac. Managing tyre degredation is one of the key features of any modern day F1 car.

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2719200)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I think that the 'new' rule that prevents what Schumacher and Ferrari did at Silverstone in 98, also prevents Sauber from pitting Kobayashi on the last lap. I just can't remember what it is!
Old 28 Jun 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2719515)   #13
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I was thinking along the same lines as the OP! Was really hoping that would happen, just to see what happened afterwards. After all, there isn't really very much else to talk about after the race.....

re: The MS rule - wasn't he serving a penalty? I would put money on the rule only being applied to penalty situations.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2719551)   #14
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I was thinking of that. The Sauber garage was before the finish line
Really? I thought nowadays they always set the finish line up so that it's not between garages. Or were all garages before the finish line?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 00:42 (Ref:2719585)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as the OP! Was really hoping that would happen, just to see what happened afterwards. After all, there isn't really very much else to talk about after the race.....

re: The MS rule - wasn't he serving a penalty? I would put money on the rule only being applied to penalty situations.

You are either very rich, or have a gambling problem!
Bet money on a stewards decision....
Old 29 Jun 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2719812)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the current rules allow Kobayashi's strategy, I think Sauber did a perfect job. They took the gamble and it paid off. However, I still can't see the necessity of the artificial rule mandating a compound change. Usually it doesn't add any spectacle.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2719846)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I think the spectacle of Alonso 'S'not fair' being turfed over by a Sauber, and an overtake on the last corner was well worth it!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2719848)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's quite hilarious isn't it....

Selby
Old 30 Jun 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2720130)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would give him four tyres any day of the week to watch him kick Alonso's rear end..
Old 30 Jun 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2720138)   #20
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would give him four tyres any day of the week to watch him kick Alonso's rear end..
Now that was magnificent!
Old 30 Jun 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2720190)   #21
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I was thinking of that. The Sauber garage was before the finish line
I was wondering this also, is the finishing point in the pits definitely in-line with the actual circuit finish line?

Shame the artificial 'must change tyres' rule exists in my opinion, if they can make it to the end then why not.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2720241)   #22
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better yet they should get rid of the tire rule. Use whatever the hell tires you please.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2720276)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think what we need is for Sauber to employ Tom Walkinshaw in some sort of Team management role for the next race. Then we'd probably see the tyre change at the end of the race happening...
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2720318)   #24
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd have the four compounds available, and they can all be used during the race, then we would hopefully have teams trying different strategies and a more varied change of position. If a driver from one of the lower teams wants to try and do the whole race on one set of tyres, and gain that way, why not, or if one of the top teir teams has a bad qualifying, stick some super softs on and go full out to try and make up places.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 02:50 (Ref:2720603)   #25
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
As the current rules allow Kobayashi's strategy, I think Sauber did a perfect job. They took the gamble and it paid off. However, I still can't see the necessity of the artificial rule mandating a compound change. Usually it doesn't add any spectacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Better yet they should get rid of the tire rule. Use whatever the hell tires you please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think what we need is for Sauber to employ Tom Walkinshaw in some sort of Team management role for the next race. Then we'd probably see the tyre change at the end of the race happening...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27 View Post
I'd have the four compounds available, and they can all be used during the race, then we would hopefully have teams trying different strategies and a more varied change of position. If a driver from one of the lower teams wants to try and do the whole race on one set of tyres, and gain that way, why not, or if one of the top teir teams has a bad qualifying, stick some super softs on and go full out to try and make up places.

All of this right there.