Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2723053)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Kimi coming back?

There are a couple of rumours going the rounds about about Kimi returning to F1 in one way or another.

The first is that he may undertake some tyre testing duties for Pirelli, because they need someone neutral with the right experience to do the job. In one sense it would be a good idea, but I don't see it as something that would appeal to Kimi.

The second is that Renault may try to lure him back as Kubica's team-mate next year. Again, i don't really see this happening. The two Ks get along well enough and are both no nonsense individuals, but Kimi's venture into rallying is beginning to show some progress now, so I don't see him abandoning that just yet.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2723056)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
A Kubica/Raikkonen team. Now that sounds good.

Selby
Old 7 Jul 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2723070)   #3
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
There are a couple of rumours going the rounds about about Kimi returning to F1 in one way or another.

The first is that he may undertake some tyre testing duties for Pirelli, because they need someone neutral with the right experience to do the job. In one sense it would be a good idea, but I don't see it as something that would appeal to Kimi.

The second is that Renault may try to lure him back as Kubica's team-mate next year. Again, i don't really see this happening. The two Ks get along well enough and are both no nonsense individuals, but Kimi's venture into rallying is beginning to show some progress now, so I don't see him abandoning that just yet.
Why not? If scheduled correctly, it lets him keep rallying, and gives him a chance to just flog an F1 car without any sort of pressure or sponsor tie ins. I'd think tire testing would be right up his alley, as long as it didn't conflict with the WRC.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2723205)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think Raikkonen's F1 days are well and truly over. He said when he left Ferrari that he was only interested in going to a team where he could win, and when McLaren signed Button that reduced his options to zero. As far as I can tell, his options in winning cars still amount to zero, so what would he gain from coming back?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2723220)   #5
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too could see a Kubica/Raikkonen pairing working well at Renault.

However, I can't see Petrov not getting a re-up for next year...
Old 7 Jul 2010, 20:57 (Ref:2723230)   #6
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Petrov will be gone after this season. Kimi/Robert might work as a team, but I can't see Kimi doing that. As you said, first of all his rally driving is begining to show progress. And second, Kimi won't join a team like Renault is in the current state. If RBR offers him a seat, that would be smth different. Though even then I'm not too confident he will re-join as he seemed to be rather fed up by that whole F1 circus when he left.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2723231)   #7
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannenmann View Post
he seemed to be rather fed up by that whole F1 circus when he left.
Yes cause he'd been found out...
Old 7 Jul 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2723253)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
...and there I was thinking that you were politely biting your tongue.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2723257)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Found out as a master of Spa.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2723258)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think the sport would benefit from his return. His stock fell at Ferrari, but now Alonso is proving it isn't so easy to do well there now, no matter how good you are.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2723280)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kimi found out?

Not many could have done as well as he did with that Ferrari last year.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2723304)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Found out that he is ? If you could fill us in on the details please..
Old 8 Jul 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2723313)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently Jeremy, the 2007 World Champion was useless for Ferrari.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2723317)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Hello Mark how are things mate ?....Kimi please come back!
Old 8 Jul 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2723386)   #15
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be a good team in Kubica & Raikkonen @ Renault, two no BS drivers that know how to get their head down and could turn Renault into the winner it once was in 05/06.

Personally i don't think he will leave rally, but i do hope im wrong..
Old 8 Jul 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2723428)   #16
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't want to see him back.

He seemed totally jaded and disillusioned with F1.

He had talent, but didn't seem to want to use it - If I had a person that like in my employee I'd have got shot of him long before Ferrari did.

I hope he's enjoying his Rallying - He does show a modicum of enthusiasm for that, at least.

M.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2723430)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Kimi has always said that he would make up his mind about coming back to F1 next year or not around now.

I think the fact that there are four WRC tarmac rounds coming up may well be significant, starting with Rally Bulgaria this week. He did a non-Championship tarmac rally recently and was only 5 seconds slower over the day than Sébastien Ogier, who is the coming man in the WRC, and at times during the day he was ahead of him, so the speed is coming.

Personally I would love to see him back in F1, but I doubt if it will happen.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2723438)   #18
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Found out he liked Ice Cream

'Paddock Sources' say his favourite flavour was Vanilla.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2723451)   #19
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre testing for Pirelli surely would get Kimi back in shape after one year of leave - and hiring a star like him would bring the tyre manufacturer the publicity that they crave for so much that they signed the F1 contract in the 1st place.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2723465)   #20
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Tyre testing for Pirelli surely would get Kimi back in shape after one year of leave - and hiring a star like him would bring the tyre manufacturer the publicity that they crave for so much that they signed the F1 contract in the 1st place.
I can see the point of using someone like Kimi to do the Pirelli tyre testing.
A previous World Champion with loads of experience who wouldn't gain any (unfair) advantage from knowing about the tyres as he's not going to be racing on them next season.
Unfortunately (unless he's paid a Kings Ransom to do so, which is unlikely) I can't see him being motivated to do this. Let's face it we all remember him abandoning his car to eat ice-cream once he realised his chances in the race were over...
Old 8 Jul 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2723468)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Let's face it we all remember him abandoning his car to eat ice-cream once he realised his chances in the race were over...
Oh dear, when will people remember the truth?

The team had withdrawn the car because there was a KERS malfunction. The decision had nothing to do with Kimi and he chose to have an ice cream because it is very hot in Malaysia.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2723478)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Oh dear, when will people remember the truth?

The team had withdrawn the car because there was a KERS malfunction. The decision had nothing to do with Kimi and he chose to have an ice cream because it is very hot in Malaysia.
Sorry strider, I don't want to upset you.
The point that I was trying to make was that Kimi appears to be easily demotivated, and I don't think that winding around the track testing Pirelli's would be enough to float his boat, he is a racer and not a tester or someone to just make up the grid...
Old 8 Jul 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2723499)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
He wasn't demotivated as much as disillusioned because he signed with a competent Ferrari only to have all the competent people leave. At the end of the day he wants a fast car to drive, and if he's alone on the track, I'd think he'd have fun with it. He misses driving the car and making it better, outside of that, I don't think he misses anything about F1.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2723537)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Apparently Jeremy, the 2007 World Champion was useless for Ferrari.
As useless as Schumacher was good in the wet.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2723560)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi was an example of what hype and fluffing from managers could do for you. His initial foray into Formula Renault was a disaster and without the Robertsons you would have never heard of the guy. There are plenty of other talented drivers out there the same happens too and it was just plain luck you heard of Kimi.

No doubt he has speed, but he was never a worker nor someone who worked around problems. I don't really miss his monosyllabic drone or lack of enthusiasm. Of course now I have to put up with it watching the WRC.