Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3682617)   #226
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that next year is looking to be a cracker between these two. Dan looks to be leading comfortably at the moment with the key stats as follows for the period they have been team mates.

Average Qualifying Position
DR 3.86
MV 6.00 (if you count Monaco as qualifying 21st when he crashed)
MV 4.85 (if you exclude Monaco)
Head to head qualifying battle DR 10 - MV 4
Average qualifying gap 0.273

Average Race Finish Position
DR 3.79
MV 5.69 (excluding COTA DNF)
Head to head race finish DR 9 - MV 5
Points DR 191 - MV 152

However if you have a look only at the races from Silverstone (where Max first out qualified Dan) the qualifying position is much closer:
Average Qualifying Position from Silverstone on
DR 4.0
MV 4.0
Head to head qualifying battle DR 5 - MV 4
Average qualifying gap 0.013 in Dan's favour

but the race results are slanted more in Dan's favour in this period
Average Race Finish Position from Silverstone on
DR 3.1
MV 4.7 (excluding COTA DNF)
Head to head race finish DR 7 - MV 2
Points DR 139 - MV 93

The race results for Max have been affected by mistakes like Spa where he finished out of the points, the DNF at COTA and then arguably he was unlucky to finish behind DR in Malaysia having qualified in front and then needed to take avoiding action in turn 1 on lap 1.

The conclusion for me is that these guys are much closer in raw speed than it looks on paper and that Max is still much earlier in the process of gathering experience. At this point of this season Dan is clearly doing a better job but I wouldn't recommend that FAS33 puts his house on Dan to win the inter team battle next year just yet.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3682713)   #227
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but if you argue that Max was unlucky, then surely the same is true of Dan, who could well have had two additional wins under his belt but for team strategy decisions that went against him. Great stats/analysis though, thanks.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Oct 2016, 13:22 (Ref:3682742)   #228
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely agree that Dan has also been unlucky at various points.

I have been keeping track of each of their bad luck episodes and maintaining an adjusted points table to take account of things like Dan's poor Monaco pitstop or Max's DNF at COTA and on my reckoning, the points gap between the two of them would be even greater in Dan's favour if you made those sorts of adjustments.

Given I am Australian and a big fan of Dan's I haven't put up figures for the bad luck adjustments as ultimately they are all very subjective and I have no doubt an unbiased fan of Max would generate a very different result to this hopefully unbiased fan of Dan!
Old 25 Oct 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3682785)   #229
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's so refreshing to see two drivers getting the best out of each other by pushing each other to do better. I can see both of them challenging for the title next year if the car is good enough
Old 25 Oct 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3682833)   #230
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's so refreshing to see two drivers getting the best out of each other by pushing each other to do better. I can see both of them challenging for the title next year if the car is good enough
Now that's the correct answer. Let's relish what they're both achieving now and are capable of achieving. Why we have these constant partisan threads which the unbiased have to referee is beyond me......

Old 25 Oct 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3682839)   #231
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
I agree that next year is looking to be a cracker between these two. Dan looks to be leading comfortably at the moment with the key stats as follows for the period they have been team mates.

Average Qualifying Position
DR 3.86
MV 6.00 (if you count Monaco as qualifying 21st when he crashed)
MV 4.85 (if you exclude Monaco)
Head to head qualifying battle DR 10 - MV 4
Average qualifying gap 0.273

Average Race Finish Position
DR 3.79
MV 5.69 (excluding COTA DNF)
Head to head race finish DR 9 - MV 5
Points DR 191 - MV 152

However if you have a look only at the races from Silverstone (where Max first out qualified Dan) the qualifying position is much closer:
Average Qualifying Position from Silverstone on
DR 4.0
MV 4.0
Head to head qualifying battle DR 5 - MV 4
Average qualifying gap 0.013 in Dan's favour

but the race results are slanted more in Dan's favour in this period
Average Race Finish Position from Silverstone on
DR 3.1
MV 4.7 (excluding COTA DNF)
Head to head race finish DR 7 - MV 2
Points DR 139 - MV 93

The race results for Max have been affected by mistakes like Spa where he finished out of the points, the DNF at COTA and then arguably he was unlucky to finish behind DR in Malaysia having qualified in front and then needed to take avoiding action in turn 1 on lap 1.

The conclusion for me is that these guys are much closer in raw speed than it looks on paper and that Max is still much earlier in the process of gathering experience. At this point of this season Dan is clearly doing a better job but I wouldn't recommend that FAS33 puts his house on Dan to win the inter team battle next year just yet.
I've got my house, Jet, cattle station, yatch and Ferrari on Dan winning the WDC next year. We got this.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3682851)   #232
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
This says it all. As a Dutchman I love it to finally have a fellow Dutchman as a true competitor, but as motorsport enthousiast I love it even more to see team members pushing each other to the limit. A bit like Lauda vs Prost, Prost vs Senna. Let's hope there will not be team orders next year. It ruined the Andretti vs Peterson battle. Don't want to see that again.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3682865)   #233
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Now that's the correct answer. Let's relish what they're both achieving now and are capable of achieving. Why we have these constant partisan threads which the unbiased have to referee is beyond me......

Plus one to this.

Would be really good if a few teams were in the running too, not just damn Mercedes running away with everything!
Old 26 Oct 2016, 08:06 (Ref:3682910)   #234
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A simple fact is that Ricciardo seems to be performing better since Max came to the team.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3682995)   #235
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ricciardo has said as much, that Verstappen's arrival has pushed him to perform at a higher level.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 14:35 (Ref:3683045)   #236
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It says something of the ability of Max that I see him as the bar - and if Daniel outperforms him he's done exceptional.

Most exciting pairing since Alonso v Hamilton, for me.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3683305)   #237
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive just read that Max reckons Hamilton and Alonso are the best on the grid, but he would no doubt beat Hamilton for the title in a Mercedes.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35116.html

Its all good and -as he points out- confidence is key, the only thing Im wondering how he ranks the guy who outqualifies him on the regular by nearly 0.3sec and outscores him by over 25% (STR times excluded)... isnt he a tad on the delusional side?
Old 27 Oct 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3683358)   #238
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Not delusional, just self-confident. No front-running Formula 1 driver is ever going to say another driver, let alone his team mate, is faster than him. Self-belief, whether justified or not, is vital.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3683437)   #239
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Not delusional, just self-confident. No front-running Formula 1 driver is ever going to say another driver, let alone his team mate, is faster than him. Self-belief, whether justified or not, is vital.
And young - very young. He still has a lot to learn and when he does, in a competitive car, he could rule the roost for a long time.....
Old 27 Oct 2016, 21:40 (Ref:3683462)   #240
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Ive just read that Max reckons Hamilton and Alonso are the best on the grid, but he would no doubt beat Hamilton for the title in a Mercedes.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35116.html

Its all good and -as he points out- confidence is key, the only thing Im wondering how he ranks the guy who outqualifies him on the regular by nearly 0.3sec and outscores him by over 25% (STR times excluded)... isnt he a tad on the delusional side?
can't even beat his own team mate. Thanks for the laughs hahaha
Old 28 Oct 2016, 08:44 (Ref:3683559)   #241
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
he beats Daniel on a regular basis.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/08/0...es-mid-season/
Old 28 Oct 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3683564)   #242
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article dated 4th August!

A "week" is a life time in F1.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3683695)   #243
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hopefully both can beat Mercedes next season.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3683700)   #244
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Hmm, I think you're providing most of them......
Old 28 Oct 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3683723)   #245
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmm, I think you're providing most of them......
Be here all week
Old 28 Oct 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3683730)   #246
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
next time try the veal and dont forget to tip your waitress on the way out!
Old 29 Oct 2016, 04:24 (Ref:3683767)   #247
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
They can take can take any tip they so desire.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3684206)   #248
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Old 13 Nov 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3687800)   #249
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe today should be regarded as "a total thrashing" by the young pretender. For pretty much everyone on the grid
Old 13 Nov 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3687802)   #250
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't decide whether what we saw today was Max in his mind, or completely out of it. The race was excellent.