Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3674507)   #26
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt that MSV have done a very good job in improving and running the circuits they have, but I don't think it's good for the club competitor to have one organisation running all bar Donington of the "major circuits" in the UK, as well as their own series and don't they promote BSB, too?

Too much of a monopoly for me.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3674509)   #27
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe he will finally invest in a footbridge to go over the main pit straight.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3674885)   #28
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

On a sidebar, who operates Mondello Park? I rather enjoyed the BTCC's brief forays there.
Mondello Park is owned by Martin Birrane and he has a management team
in place who run it although there have been some changes in the last year or so. Most of the events are run by Irish motorsport clubs although Mondello also run a few of their own events.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3675088)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ah, Birrane still owns it. Interesting. Wish the BTCC would go back. And/or British GTs.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3676063)   #30
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone has a break clause in their GP contract after 2019 and are considering dropping the GP due to the sheer cost of the 5% annual increase on running the British GP with no third party income.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126416
Old 30 Sep 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3676132)   #31
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mods, can this be merged into the 'Silverstone for sale' thread?
Old 30 Sep 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3676133)   #32
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
No doubt that MSV have done a very good job in improving and running the circuits they have, but I don't think it's good for the club competitor to have one organisation running all bar Donington of the "major circuits" in the UK, as well as their own series and don't they promote BSB, too?

Too much of a monopoly for me.
I'd far rather have a Silverstone being managed by MSV than no Silverstone at all.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3676134)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm curious how much of this, and the recent news about Montreal, is posturing given that the next round of negotiations will be with someone other than Bernie?
Old 30 Sep 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3676136)   #34
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Silverstone has a break clause in their GP contract after 2019 and are considering dropping the GP due to the sheer cost of the 5% annual increase on running the British GP with no third party income.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126416
Good.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3676149)   #35
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I'm curious how much of this, and the recent news about Montreal, is posturing given that the next round of negotiations will be with someone other than Bernie?
Although they have previously probably been blamed for crying wolf once too often over the GP, this time I think it is genuine.

Why? Well the GP is at capacity they can't sell anything else, they can't get anymore people in without developing the circuit for more seating and supporting infrastructure and they have no money to do this.

Apart from the lease on the circuit, they have nothing else left to sell and what they have sold off went to pay of the loans from the Wing development, but of course the income from that part of the Silverstone estate is now lost and goes to the buyer. They have the realisation that even with a sell out they will scrape a very small profit if they are very lucky and any profit will be wiped out by the increase in fees.

If my memory serves me correctly they haven't paid for the 2105 BGP yet as were paying FOM in arrears and the circuit has lost around £50M oveer the last few years since they built the wing.

Also the GP contract is probably the most off putting thing to a new buyer who will see that not as a jewel in the Silverstone crown but an increasing cost liability.

So what is the future without the GP, well you end up as landlord doing trackhire. I believe the driving experiences at Silverstone (once the benchmark) have dwindled down from what they once were. Silverstone is not an active creator and developer of new or innovative events, even what should be a great event for Silverstone, the Silverstone Classic has been sold off under licence to a promoter - an event that Silverstone should put on themselves with all their BRDC collateral and heritage surely.

They will still have the BTCC to promote and presumably Moto GP as the circuit of Wales will probably remain on paper for the forseeable future.

Some of the cache will be lost as trackday punters like to drive on what is a current GP circuit, so over time the venue will dwindle in importance and be a backward looking heritage site.

That is why they don't need an investor (IMO) they need a promoter who knows about motor racing and motoring events, for get all the dreamers putting on music festivals and entertainment, the circuit is out on a limb for that and I notice that a proposed music festival to be held at the Silverstone Woodland site was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales, which is an omen for music promoters.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3676156)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'd far rather have a Silverstone being managed by MSV than no Silverstone at all.
+1
Old 30 Sep 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3676158)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I only hope the new owners of the sport can do something to prevent us losing one of the few driver's circuits that is Silverstone
Old 30 Sep 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3676171)   #38
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a difficult one. I can't say I'm a fan of the good Doctor, but then it's not meant to be a popularity contest and it's not his job to make me like him, so that's irrelevant.

He's certainly done a good job of bringing some run-down circuits up to scratch and on the whole the infrastructure seems much improved.

But that's not what Silverstone needs. On the whole it is pretty up to scratch, and mainly well ahead of the competition. What it isn't is very well run as a business and I'm not sure MSVR has as much to offer on the front and it does start to move things dangerously towards the monopoly of international circuits which is not good.

On the whole, I'd prefer an MSVR run Silverstone to no Silverstone, but not to a better run independent option.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 06:29 (Ref:3676633)   #39
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I have a huge amount of respect for what Dr Palmer has achieved ; Cadwell and Oulton were tatty , rundown and past it until MSV stepped in . They are now immaculate, staff are welcoming , food is good and the site management is far, far better than before . I have often seen Dr P land at Cadwell, chat to punters , check out the cafe etc.

But I don't think Silverstone is especially badly run - these days I only go to the Classic but I have no complaints- apart from what a rubbish circuit it is at which to watch racing .

Some aspects of Croft could be improved though - starting with the catering ......
Old 2 Oct 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3676672)   #40
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
But I don't think Silverstone is especially badly run
I was thinking more of the business side than the actual track operation. BRDC seem to have got themselves in a muddle just a few times.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3676763)   #41
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Love to see the GP back at Brands Hatch...
What would it take to upgrade to Bernie spec?
Old 2 Oct 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3676779)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
A lot I should think and I don't mean that glibly. Though the corners have run off areas, they will probably need to be extended. I don't think the paddock could accommodate the plethora and size of the various hospitality suites the teams bring with them, as well as Bernie's. Plus the grandstand facilities are lacking.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3676783)   #43
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Well , Ecclestone has made it his life's work to snipe at Silverstone and Walkinshaw nearly persuaded the BRDC to invest in a wonderful business opportunity owned by ..err..Tom Walkinshaw but somehow they have been holding Grands Prix there since we last had a king on the throne so I suspect they are doing something right
Old 2 Oct 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3676786)   #44
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
No no no and no. No one touches Brands Hatch, we have had enough "classic" tracks ruined for F1.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 09:31 (Ref:3677171)   #45
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well , Ecclestone has made it his life's work to snipe at Silverstone and Walkinshaw nearly persuaded the BRDC to invest in a wonderful business opportunity owned by ..err..Tom Walkinshaw but somehow they have been holding Grands Prix there since we last had a king on the throne so I suspect they are doing something right
Problem is FOM has moved the 'game' on now and Silverstone like several other of the tradiitonal circuits on the calendar can't make a business model like that work - because without an underwriter it can't be made to work.

Personally, I think what Liberty should do is to hand back some of the sponsorship, trackside branding and marketing rights to the circuits, which mean the circuits have more to sell and perhaps need to work a bit wider in their marketing. By doing this they are not seen to 'reduce' the fee to say Silverstone or Monza, but give them the opportunity to drive more revenue, this would mean that either FOM or Rolex, or Pirelli negotiate with Silverstone for trackside advertising and race sponsorship.

It can be done, as Monaco pays no fee to FOM and keeps the revenue from trackside advertising.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3677172)   #46
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Octagon tried it when they bought the GP rights remember and found it unworkable and had to lease Silverstone in order to hold the GP and that was a long time ago.

Not enough room in the overall site at Brands to hold the GP, it is too close to the main road to extend the track and infrastructure anymore and more importantly it would ruin it forever.

Donington are only still recovering from the damage done to the venue in the last abortive attempt to hold a GP anywhere other than Silverstone.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3677365)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Problem is FOM has moved the 'game' on now and Silverstone like several other of the tradiitonal circuits on the calendar can't make a business model like that work - because without an underwriter it can't be made to work.

Personally, I think what Liberty should do is to hand back some of the sponsorship, trackside branding and marketing rights to the circuits, which mean the circuits have more to sell and perhaps need to work a bit wider in their marketing. By doing this they are not seen to 'reduce' the fee to say Silverstone or Monza, but give them the opportunity to drive more revenue, this would mean that either FOM or Rolex, or Pirelli negotiate with Silverstone for trackside advertising and race sponsorship.

It can be done, as Monaco pays no fee to FOM and keeps the revenue from trackside advertising.
Something along these lines could work - I think rather than hand the signage rights back to the tracks, FOM would pay the tracks a royalty or placement fee so that income is shared. That way, the sponsors don't need to be dealing with 20 tracks in different parts of the world, which would make it much harder for each sponsor and they might not continue.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3677418)   #48
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Grand Prix racing's heritage was produced by tracks such as Spa, Monza, Silverstone and the 'Ring . Other tracks have a golden past too- Watkins Glen , Kylalami, Suzuka etc .

It is that past which is shamelessly exploited to make a GP the status symbol it has become for rich countries nobody has either heard of or knows much about . So we get Grands Prix at joke tracks in places like Azerbaijan which, in common with many other new venues, has cash to throw away and a bloody awful human rights record - resulting in races like Baku being attended by 3 men and a dog. Make it stop- let's - gosh- have races where people love to watch it .

And the whole 'business model' thing just bores me rigid - who bloody cares? The sport should never have been sold by Mosley to Ecclestone for £2.50 in the first place . It should be a sport run in a business like way and not the ghastly parody it has become
Old 5 Oct 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3677455)   #49
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Grand Prix racing's heritage was produced by tracks such as Spa, Monza, Silverstone and the 'Ring . Other tracks have a golden past too- Watkins Glen , Kylalami, Suzuka etc .

It is that past which is shamelessly exploited to make a GP the status symbol it has become for rich countries nobody has either heard of or knows much about . So we get Grands Prix at joke tracks in places like Azerbaijan which, in common with many other new venues, has cash to throw away and a bloody awful human rights record - resulting in races like Baku being attended by 3 men and a dog. Make it stop- let's - gosh- have races where people love to watch it .

And the whole 'business model' thing just bores me rigid - who bloody cares? The sport should never have been sold by Mosley to Ecclestone for £2.50 in the first place . It should be a sport run in a business like way and not the ghastly parody it has become
Couldn't agree more but sadly unless anyone is going to challenge the sale of the rights by the FIA to FOM, what's done is done and the heritage tracks need to do their best to make holding GP's viable or walk away and simply wait for the house of cards to fall over as eventually governments will tire of subsidising races, or will face more democracy that changes their priorities.

Actually, the FIA (barely noticable in F1 these days) could surely do more and as they have to licence the new circuits, they could surely introduce a 'heritage' tax on all new venues as part of the licencing process that goes towards protecting the heritage venues, which as you say. is the reason for the new countries to join the calendar. So if you've paid $250m to build a new track if you had to pay say $5M or $10m to the FIA to licence it for operation (and you had already blown $50m per year to FOM to hold it) that would be small beer and without FIA approval to operate it, you only have expensive tarmac to look at.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3679249)   #50
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our local motor club had its regular "noggin and natter" session last night and the BRDC member present gave a fascinating insight to their problem. All of the comments above about an unworkable business model were confirmed and change of ownership seems inevitable. Given that, we all agreed as race enthusiasts, that MSV seemed the best option, a real racer with relevant and successful experience rather than a conglomerate or an entrepreneur whose magnificent motor sport efforts appear to be subsidised by his other business interests.

It is no time for anything other than a company with a proven track record (pardon the pun!)