Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Oct 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2772804)   #126
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
VolvoGroupA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko05 View Post
Hi guy's,

Haven't posted here very often (as you can see), but use this site often for reference for specs/details (building/modifying cars for computer racing sims, especially rFactor Touring Car Legends (Grp A's)).

You may find this site very interesting and helpfull (especially for the Aussie 240T's); http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/group_a_volvo_specs.htm .

Has complete specs and details (more or less) of the Grp A Volvo 240T.

Bruce
My site is much better! My site is complete regarding the full group-A spec.

www.240grupp-a.se
Old 10 Oct 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2772854)   #127
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I think there were three cars used during 1985/86

The Mark Petch run, Robbie Francevic driven ex-ETCC car was used extensively during 1985 and early 1986.

When Volvo & John Sheppard took over with the "Valvoline Volvo Dealer Team" from the 3rd ATCC round at Sandown, the original car went with it. A new locally built car appeared for John Bowe at rd4. Another new car appeared for the Sandown 500 (not sure if it was locally built or imported though?).... not sure if there was any new cars inbetween.

Interestingly, a deal was done in late-1986 for Lyndon Reithmuller and Phil Ward to take ownership of two ex-VDT cars and run them in 1987. The deal was undone though when Volvo Sweden called the cars home... from there Reithmuller/Ward regrouped and bought the two Martins/AMG 190Es from Bathurst 1986, and preceeded to not run them until the 1987 Sandown 500...
It was like this, first the old MPM Volvo was repainted white and fitted with a kind of "Nordica stripes, larger the the originals (later real Nordica stripes were fitted), chassie #A406. Robbie Francevic had this car for the most of the season, he did an excellent job in the LH drive Volvo!

And then the AVDT bought a newbuilt RH drive Volvo from the RAS-Team in Europe, with chassie #603. This car was a testing car for the RAS-Team, but there wasn't enough time to learn the European drivers to drive RH so they sold the car to AVDT.

Then later in 1986 a new Volvo was built, a 242GT shell was rebuilt from scratch to a full group-A spec car in just 6 weeks, chassie #606. Look at the wheels, its 17" BBS wheels, the AVDT used 17" on both the #603 car and the #606, 16" was also used of course. To mention is that the AVDT was the only Volvo team in group-A to use 17" wheels, all other European teams only used 16".

Complete histories are also available on my website!
Old 4 Nov 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2785106)   #128
itb242
Rookie

United States
Texas
itb242 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some first hand information on the RAS Sport cars and the 1986 season for the Volvo 240 Turbo I recommend contacting Claude Rouelle. Claude was the RAS Sport race engineer and provided me with a few pictures of the RAS Sport Volvos. He has several good anecdotes about the RAS Sport Volvos in his Data Acquisition Seminar, or he did when I took it years back. You can contact him at his new company, OptimumG.

http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebS...entProfil.html

For more information on the Volvo's WTT system contact the folks at NIRA AB.

Claes Sjostrom worked for Volvo Motorsport during the Group A era and currently preps the Volvo 242 EVO rally car for Valencia Volvo Indepent in Valencia, California. He could add to the Volvo 240 Turbo saga.

David
Old 10 Nov 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2788251)   #129
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=VolvoGroupA;2762127]Well I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong. The Volvo that Granberg/Kvist took to Volvos first win on Zolder 1984 is an other car. First Kvist wrecked one Luna/Sportpromotion Volvo on Brno -84, so a new car was built, and this by Magnum Racing. So on Zolder the Luna/Sportpromotion team had a new car. After 1984 this car was sold by Volvo Motorsport via a Volvo dealer to a privateer in Portugal, Artur Mendes. At the same time one of Thomas Lindströms Volvos was sold to Portugal to. The cars still remains to this very day.
QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct.
I was told that the Rodrigues car (ex-Lindström) is chassis TL003.
What I'm still looking at, is the Mendes (ex-Granberg) chassis number.
Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Luis
Old 11 Nov 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2788359)   #130
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
BTW,
in 1985 and 1986 a german driver called Herbert Hürter raced a 240 Turbo on the European Hillclimb Championship.
Any informations of what car could it be? An ex-factory car? Which one?

Regards,
Luis
Old 11 Nov 2010, 06:10 (Ref:2788402)   #131
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
BTW,
in 1985 and 1986 a german driver called Herbert Hürter raced a 240 Turbo on the European Hillclimb Championship.
Any informations of what car could it be? An ex-factory car? Which one?

Regards,
Luis
http://www.euromontagna.com/photo.ph...1985-06-16-060

With its American front it does remind me of the 1983 Thomas Lindström car, but I'm sure that one has been accounted for as the Leif Wiik car of 1984-1986.

Jesper
Old 12 Nov 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2789075)   #132
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
[QUOTE=Brickyard;2788251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGroupA View Post
Well I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong. The Volvo that Granberg/Kvist took to Volvos first win on Zolder 1984 is an other car. First Kvist wrecked one Luna/Sportpromotion Volvo on Brno -84, so a new car was built, and this by Magnum Racing. So on Zolder the Luna/Sportpromotion team had a new car. After 1984 this car was sold by Volvo Motorsport via a Volvo dealer to a privateer in Portugal, Artur Mendes. At the same time one of Thomas Lindströms Volvos was sold to Portugal to. The cars still remains to this very day.
QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct.
Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Luis
What info which I have provided with is wrong? I for one knows the exact and correct information, since I've been in personal contact with both Robert Kvist, and Greger Petersson, the man that behind the Luna/Sportpromotion team. There was a new built Luna/Sportpromotion Volvo by Magnum Racing yes, as they built the one before to in 1984.

And the info that you are putting out is correct, but still I wonder, where have I've written info other then the one you've presented?

The Rodrigues Volvo (ex TL Racing) with chassis #TL003, was a reservecar for the TL Racing team in 1984, and was sold in perfect conditions to Antonio. I don't know of any info that Magnum Racing ever used chassis # on their cars however? But that's something I can find out...
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2789080)   #133
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
http://www.euromontagna.com/photo.ph...1985-06-16-060

With its American front it does remind me of the 1983 Thomas Lindström car, but I'm sure that one has been accounted for as the Leif Wiik car of 1984-1986.

Jesper
For what is known to me, this car has no prior history to the ETC for example, and the rollcage is all wrong...cool car thou!

As for the TL Racing Volvo from 1983 (#TL001), I've found out that this Volvo was last used in 1987 in the Finnish Volvo Dealer team in the Finnish Touring Car Championships. In 1987 a Finnish driver named Juhani Koskinen drove the Volvo, placed very poorly thou, and the car was white with Nordica Warstripes. I'm still waiting for further info about this Volvo... So there might be further proof (or not) that this car might still exist. One rumour told that this car was rebuilt to Special Saloon, when or by whom is unknown!
Old 12 Nov 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2789122)   #134
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
For what is known to me, this car has no prior history to the ETC for example, and the rollcage is all wrong...cool car thou!
Forgot to mention that no group-A racing Volvo have ever had a beige dashboard!
Old 12 Nov 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2789371)   #135
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
[QUOTE=VolvoGroupA;2789075]
Quote:

What info which I have provided with is wrong? I for one knows the exact and correct information, since I've been in personal contact with both Robert Kvist, and Greger Petersson, the man that behind the Luna/Sportpromotion team. There was a new built Luna/Sportpromotion Volvo by Magnum Racing yes, as they built the one before to in 1984.

And the info that you are putting out is correct, but still I wonder, where have I've written info other then the one you've presented?

The Rodrigues Volvo (ex TL Racing) with chassis #TL003, was a reservecar for the TL Racing team in 1984, and was sold in perfect conditions to Antonio. I don't know of any info that Magnum Racing ever used chassis # on their cars however? But that's something I can find out...
My dear VolvoGroupA,

if you read more carefully my post, you could see that I didn't say you're wrong. In fact I've agreed with you.
So I don't understand why you are so mad about my post. I really don't. I've just asked a simple question about one car.

To make clear my statement, what I've said is that the Autosport news that stated that the Zolder 84 winning car was the one that was shipped to Australia, was wrong, not your answer.

I hope you understand.

Regards
Luis
Old 13 Nov 2010, 04:51 (Ref:2789477)   #136
Jesper OH
Veteran

That is how I read your post too, Luis.

To stay on the Volvo ball Björn, I like your recent idea of asking about the missing identification or lost cars: http://www.240grupp-a.se/de_okanda.htm
Scroll down to the green #45 240 and I'm sure this car was a well raced car in Denmark to this point. These 1999 colours very likely represent the ownership of Erling Haagerup of Helsingør, Denmark (Helsingør is Elsinore to any English speaking Hamlet fans!).

Gert M. Rasmussen of Helsingør appeared as a very second rate Volvo group A racer to class leader Jørgen Poulsen in the 1987 Danish Group A championship. At one point the car was for sale by Rasmussen advertising something like 230 bhp, and seen by myself, with front headlights blinded, it reminded me of a former Swedish Volvo Turbo Cup car. Gert became a main stay in Danish Group A through 1988 and 1989, becoming a quite acomplished racer during that time. As Group A disappeared by 1990 the car was body builded and larger tyres were fitted (proberly the bhp rating had been opped too) and Gert competed for the Danish Super Saloon Car Championship with the car still in mainly white. At some point in the early 1990s he obtained BP as sponsor and the green colour took over. By 1992 Gert had an ex-DTM-Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5 Evo II, still in green BP colours and sponsorships, while the green Volvo appeared in the hands of Erling Haagerup.

A lot of words, ending with my summary that the green SSC Volvo was a former Volvo Cup car, and not one of those very few Australian cars.

I do like movie actor Bill Murray, and the title of one of his more recent films: Lost in Translation", which likely explains why a 240 Cup-car becomes an Australian 240.

Jesper
Old 13 Nov 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2789747)   #137
Jesper OH
Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ahvenist...71/HNWaNbG10cA

May 1987 video showing some Finnish Group A racing at Ahvenisto. The leading Volvo punted off on the first lap likely would be Juhani Koskinen, while the car #240 Union 240 chasing the race winning BMW M3 of Miko Arpiainen would likely be driven by Leif Wiik.

Jesper
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2791695)   #138
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
[QUOTE=Brickyard;2789371]
Quote:

My dear VolvoGroupA,

if you read more carefully my post, you could see that I didn't say you're wrong. In fact I've agreed with you.
So I don't understand why you are so mad about my post. I really don't. I've just asked a simple question about one car.

To make clear my statement, what I've said is that the Autosport news that stated that the Zolder 84 winning car was the one that was shipped to Australia, was wrong, not your answer.

I hope you understand.

Regards
Luis
I'm not mad, I just think that my question was a fair question since you said that I was wrong. You quoted me, and I copied and put in the text under here. I thinks its pretty clear, that you claim to that I'm wrong. Then now you are saying that I'm right and that you agree with me?

I'm just confused...

"[QUOTE=VolvoGroupA;2762127]Well I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong."
Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2791705)   #139
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post

A lot of words, ending with my summary that the green SSC Volvo was a former Volvo Cup car, and not one of those very few Australian cars.

I do like movie actor Bill Murray, and the title of one of his more recent films: Lost in Translation", which likely explains why a 240 Cup-car becomes an Australian 240.

Jesper
Thanks, I good to know that my work is appreciated! Well since I not aware of every former group-A racer, I thought perhaps that someone that visit my site might know, if I did this page.

Well to be honest, I never thought that this SSC Volvo was a former Australian Volvo, I only acted on rumours so to speak. And I think that I have every bit in place regarding the former Australian Volvos now actually.

And thanks for the info about the green SCC Volvo! So it was only a Turbo Cup car.... The car is rebuilt to Rallycross today as my contact says. http://www.peder-t-rallycross.dk/side4bil.html

Last edited by VolvoGroupA; 16 Nov 2010 at 17:04.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2791909)   #140
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal

[QUOTE=VolvoGroupA;2791695][QUOTE=Brickyard;2789371]

I'm not mad, I just think that my question was a fair question since you said that I was wrong. You quoted me, and I copied and put in the text under here. I thinks its pretty clear, that you claim to that I'm wrong. Then now you are saying that I'm right and that you agree with me?

I'm just confused...

"
Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong."
[QUOTE=VolvoGroupA;2762127]Well I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong. The Volvo that Granberg/Kvist took to Volvos first win on Zolder 1984 is an other car. First Kvist wrecked one Luna/Sportpromotion Volvo on Brno -84, so a new car was built, and this by Magnum Racing. So on Zolder the Luna/Sportpromotion team had a new car. After 1984 this car was sold by Volvo Motorsport via a Volvo dealer to a privateer in Portugal, Artur Mendes. At the same time one of Thomas Lindströms Volvos was sold to Portugal to. The cars still remains to this very day.
QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct.
Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Luis

In green is your original post. In orange is my reply.

"Yes that's correct" was my way to say "yes you're (you Bjorn) correct".
It was my way to agree with you're statment "I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong".

Any more doubts?
Hope not.

Regards
Luis
Old 17 Nov 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2791966)   #141
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
[/QUOTE]
Quote:

In green is your original post. In orange is my reply.

"Yes that's correct" was my way to say "yes you're (you Bjorn) correct".
It was my way to agree with you're statment "I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong".

Any more doubts?
Hope not.

Regards
Luis
Well its pointless to argue about this anymore. Let's go back to the subject, Volvo 240 group-A.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2792054)   #142
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
What's amazing is how there was an argument in the first place gentlemen when you are both talking about the same things!

For what it's worth VolvoGroupA, I also think Brickyard agreed with you but. if he hadn't done then don't take it as an attack on your knowledge, why not simply re-state what you think or know to continue the conversation?

As you will well know people get told different things about a car's provenance and you never know other people may know things that you don't regardless of how well informed you may be!!

I think we'll put it down to a simple misunderstanding of each other's comments ok?

Please now move on!
Old 17 Nov 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2792068)   #143
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I managed to get some photos of the ex-Mark Petch 240T during last week, I would upload them, but Photobucket seems to be down at the moment

Maybe on the weekend.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2792219)   #144
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
What's amazing is how there was an argument in the first place gentlemen when you are both talking about the same things!

For what it's worth VolvoGroupA, I also think Brickyard agreed with you but. if he hadn't done then don't take it as an attack on your knowledge, why not simply re-state what you think or know to continue the conversation?

As you will well know people get told different things about a car's provenance and you never know other people may know things that you don't regardless of how well informed you may be!!

I think we'll put it down to a simple misunderstanding of each other's comments ok?

Please now move on!
For obvious reasons I don't think that my reaction was wrong, since he did start his sentence with "I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong". But I left the subject now...wrong or not. And I never was angry, just wondered what I said that was wrong as he wrote in his reply... that's all!
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2792220)   #145
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I managed to get some photos of the ex-Mark Petch 240T during last week, I would upload them, but Photobucket seems to be down at the moment

Maybe on the weekend.
Please put them here in the thread

But if you want to, you could e-mail the photos

bjorn.ohlson@240grupp-a.se

Thanks!
Old 18 Nov 2010, 01:38 (Ref:2792394)   #146
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
I've promissed to myself not to return to this subject anymore but since Bjorn insists that I said that he was wrong, I have to make a last (and it will be the last) comment on this.
1) - I've never said "I'm pretty sure that that info is wrong". That sentence was quoted from an answer Bjorn gave to another member.

2) - My complete post was:

"Yes, that's correct.
Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Luis"

As you all can see I don't use that sentence but, OK I admit that the terms "that's correct" was not the best choice, and that "you're correct" should have been more clear to all.

3) - As I've said before I was in total agreement with Bjorn not the contrary. I never in any occasion said he was wrong or doubt any information he provided.

And that's why I still can't see why he keeps saying that I said he was wrong and that my post started with a sentence that was a quote from him, not mine.

So, as they say in a courtyards, "Gentlemen I rest my case".

Since I'm not planning to return to this subject (and this thread) anymore,

best regards for all,
'till another thread.
Thank you,
Luis
Old 18 Nov 2010, 06:29 (Ref:2792440)   #147
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
I've promissed to myself not to return to this subject anymore but since Bjorn insists that I said that he was wrong, I have to make a last (and it will be the last) comment on this.

Luis
Alright I see, but don't quote me if you are quoting someone else. Cause it said that you quoted me.

There end of story!

I feel like this Luis, I want you to contribute to this thread if you have something to contribute with or just put in questions in the thread. Sorry if I seemed mad or something. Just continue to visit this thread

Friends?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2792471)   #148
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 19 Nov 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2793196)   #149
Jesper OH
Veteran

Just to re-bump this otherwise excellent thread, I have a question. During the 1988 and 1989 European Rallycross meetings in Ireland two Murphy names appeared in Volvo 240 Turbos: Liam (1988) and William (1989). From the telly (Screensport?) I vividly remember the Group A Mondello rounds as being the top-10 point scores and an assembly of national Group N/Production Saloon cars tarmac cars, but somehow don't remember this 240!
As Ireland had no Group A counterpart to the neibouringh BTCC, I would guess that the Murphy Volvo was a rallycar. Which leads me to another natural question in this sequence: were Liam and William related or even the same, as I'm not too familiar as to how William could be used in daily languis.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 19 Nov 2010 at 19:11. Reason: correct spelling = more meaning + Neibourghs
Old 19 Nov 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2793256)   #150
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Neither name rings any bells with me, though I'm not too familiar with the Irish rallycross scene, apart from those drivers who appeared regularly on UK mainland events.

Group A 240 Turbos were a bit of a rarity in the UK/Ireland- the only couple I can think of from memory were both rally cars.

Kenny McKinstry did the Circuit of Ireland and a few other tarmac events in 1987 with this Volvo...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rustyrally/4785552841/

IIRC, it was a fairly low-budget effort. The Irish championship and British Open championship continued to allow 2wd Group B cars, in 1987, and many of the top Irish drivers stuck to their existing cars- Manta 400s etc. However, the Circuit of Ireland also counted for the European Championship, which didn't allow Group B cars, and some of the top Irish drivers were left without cars eligible for their home international event.
A few improvised by preparing whatever Group A cars they could for the occasion- probably the best-known of these being Austin MacHale's Dealer Opel Team Ireland Opel Monza.
I think the McKinstry Volvo was another of these, but I don't know of any subsequent history.
Could this have become the Murphy rallycross car?

There was at least one other Group A Volvo around UK rallying- Scottish Volvo & Austin Rover dealer David Gillanders ran one around 1984/5, before moving onto a Metro 6R4.

Tags
eggenberger, etcc, group a, ras sport, ulf granberg, volvo 240t