Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1459848)   #26
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Nakajima..
It was Brundle. He even said it was in his book about some of the world's racing circuits.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1459940)   #27
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he was refering to the absolute blinder that Nakajima had. Fastest lap, reeling in Ricardo and finishing 4th in the '89 big wet!
Old 14 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1460446)   #28
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I think he was refering to the absolute blinder that Nakajima had. Fastest lap, reeling in Ricardo and finishing 4th in the '89 big wet!
And all after spinning on the first lap... I remember the '95 race at Adelaide as well, only 8 finishers, Hill won by 2 laps, Morbidelli finished 3rd in the Arrows Hart and Panis's Ligier finished 2nd despite the engine smoking and coughing for the last 5 laps! Was a great track...
Old 14 Nov 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1460487)   #29
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac
Oh right, fair enough. The wet races at Adelaide were excellent!
Old 14 Nov 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1460507)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just watched the 95 OZ GP on Speet TV F1 decade show yesterday.
it was to say the least an eventfull race and weekend. DC driving into the pitwall entrance to leave Hill free and clear to take the race and certainly a nice bit of work from the medical staff who probably saved Mika's life.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1460776)   #31
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with you Hoffy. I still remember when I heard the news. I was listening to SAFM and John Rees came on and said that the GP was moving to Melbourne. I was speechless and gutted. I have always been of the opinion that Adelaide was and always will be the spiritual home of the Australian GP.

My cousin lives in Melbourne and has only been once, he never missed an event in Adelaide. He also thinks the race should be back in Adelaide.

One thing that was amazing was the way Adelaide embraced the GP, in the lead up and during the event you couldn't move anywhere in Adelaide without see a poster or some sign that the GP was in town it was amazing. I had to go to Melbourne during the GP in 1998 for work, on the way from the airport to the city, I saw 1 billboard advertising the GP. That was the only evidence I saw the entire weekend that the GP was even on !!!!!!!!

Long live Adelaide !!!!!!!!
Old 14 Nov 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1460896)   #32
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was sad when the F1 circus left Adelaide for the last time. Even though I only ever watched it on TV, it still seemed to have the best atmosphere of any race. Melbourne seems so sanitised in comparison, I guess thats the way F1 bods like it these days.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1460947)   #33
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It was an excellent race.. The Clipsal 500 (V8 supercar race) here in March always puts on a good show, showing that motor racing can still be successful in Adelaide. It remains to be seen whether we get it back, but I sure hope we do..

My memories, was being there in 1995, watching a great race, with Gianni Morbidelli on the podium!!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1460951)   #34
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Damon Hill wins
Panis in the Ligier second
Morbidelli in the Arrows third..

those were the days...
Old 15 Nov 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1460959)   #35
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing about the 1995 race was the massive attendance. The figures I have seen show that the 4 day attendance was 511,000 with a race day attendance of 205,000. I think at the time these were record attendance figures for a Grand Prix (Not sure how they stack up now, would be interesting to find out). This all in a city of only 1,000,000 people.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1461059)   #36
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, at the time that was the second biggest motor racing attendance, behind Indy.

For me, the greatest of them all was the 86 decider, with 3 drivers, Mansell, Prost and Piquit all in contention. Who can forget the dramatic tyre blowout on Mansells car at full tilt down Brabham straight and the elation of Prost, as he won the race and the championship
Old 14 Jan 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1501277)   #37
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know where to post it, so I posted it here.

The races at Adelaide were always nice. Adelaide really provided some good racing. Some races were really exciting. Here's one of the greatest, but also most tragic moments at Adelaide.

Quote:
On lap 63 the battle became one for the lead, when Rosberg suffered a right rear tire failure. Mansell was on course for the title when two laps later his left rear tire exploded at 180mph. Nigel managed to avoid hitting anything by his championship hopes were over. Williams had no choice but to call Piquet to the pits and so Prost went into the lead. Piquet closed the gap from 15secs to four but Prost won the race and the World Championship after a breathtakingly exciting race.
Source: GrandPrix.com

Removed due to illegal content , please do not post this kind of stuff in future

Last edited by marcus; 14 Jan 2006 at 23:39.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1501297)   #38
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
29.2 MB. Thi suggests there is a file. I cannot see where on the site.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1501399)   #39
coldtyre
Rookie

France
Paris
coldtyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I began watching F1 in 1996, and i discovered Adelaide circuit on a video-game !
It was quite interesting to "drive" : narrow track, fast corners...
However, It's a very dangerous track indeed (what do you think Mika ?)
Melbourne is a bit safer, and very spectacular too
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1501406)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884

Damon Hill wins
Panis in the Ligier second
Morbidelli in the Arrows third..

those were the days...
Hill wins by 2 laps, Panis limps home in a car that shouldn't have made it to the finish, and the reason Damon won by 2 laps instead of 1 - great memories.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1501409)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtyre
However, It's a very dangerous track indeed (what do you think Mika ?)
Only dangerous because of Mika's tyre failure. He was unlucky (or lucky if you think that he was in a very bad condition and came back to achieve what he did). Monaco is just as dangerous, Wendingler 1994, Button 2003. (again to failures on the car, not the circuit)
Old 15 Jan 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1501450)   #42
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think Adelaide is dangerous at all.

it was simply the greatest street track in the world.

yeah there is concrete walls around but hey F1 cars are built tough and Mika's crash was the only serious injury in the ten years of the event and that was simply because his car was airborne and not scrubbing speed off.

a beautiful track in a beautiful city that is missed by every single one of us.

melbourne is good but its no adelaide (maybe that should be their catch cry this year LOL)

im sure all the drivers would love to go back there (ok only Schumacher and Coulthrd have raced F1 there , webber drove in formula ford there) but im sure the other guys would simply love it.

I miss adelaide way to much I think
Old 15 Jan 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1501455)   #43
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide was great for more than just the F1 teams. I remember towing my Lotus Cortina to Adelaide from Sydney in 1993 to race in the Group N ( Historic Touring cars up to Dec 64). Trailer disintegrated on the trip across. Stopped at the Grand Hotel in Mildura on the way and dined at the Stephano de Pieri hotel restaurant before he became a well known chef ( Gondola on the Murray). Stayed in a house close to the circuit with 3 other Group N drivers and their crews Much partying over the 5 days there. The circuit was fabulous for Historic Tourers although the main straight was probably a little too long. I had problems with a leaking radiator and took it over to one of the workshops in the F1 compound where they kindly fixed it for me . Would that happen now ? On the return journey the wineries in the Baossa Valley sure took a pounding Them were the days. Great memories
Old 15 Jan 2006, 03:52 (Ref:1501456)   #44
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
correction " Barossa"
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1501471)   #45
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great story dr bob
Old 15 Jan 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1501487)   #46
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i miss those days - i could hear the cars from my grandmas place

i went to the last quali and saw mikas crash...i went home in tears cause I had feared the worst & was so happy to hear that he made it
Old 15 Jan 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1501600)   #47
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I just wonder if Senna didn't die Adelaide would still be on. He was a strong advocate for the circuit.

Plus - it's such a pain to get accommodation!!! I still haven't found anywhere to stay yet for the Melbourne race this April..
Old 16 Jan 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1502055)   #48
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah the memories. I grew up in (and still live) Adelaide when the GP was. I fondly remember the weather getting warmer and watching the race on TV (I could just hear the cars from my place).

I attended the last GP in '95 with a gold ticket along pit straight, I'll never forget Alesi coming out in practice alone and hearing that brilliant v12 sound echoing around the track, it brings a shiver to the spine.

It's hard not to think about all the incidents that happened when I drive along the same roads that the F1 drivers did all those years ago.

Having been to Melbourne each year since '02, I would say it's a great event to attend (how could seeing F1 live not be?). Not as great as Adelaide, I think the size and locality of the track had a lot to do with the difference in atmosphere. Still, at least we still have a race in Australia.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1502056)   #49
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
Plus - it's such a pain to get accommodation!!! I still haven't found anywhere to stay yet for the Melbourne race this April..
Have you tried grandprixtravel.com.au? They should still have some accomodation left.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1503720)   #50
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved Adelaide. It was such a challenging circuit with its memorable multi-coloured tyre walls and kerbing. And so much drama and controversy (Schumacher crashing into Hill, Senna's last win, Mansell's tyre exploding, the washout...).