Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Mar 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2409322)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Eurotunnel

Just booked this years crossing and yet again the tunnell will be closed for "maintenance" on the sunday night, last shuttle from Calais is 22.40, not starting again until early on monday morning.

So all those still waiting should get a move on if you are returning on Sunday, also eurotunnel have just increased the sunday night return from £44 to £62.

However there is good news they have just announced a profit so unlike some of the ferry companies they should be in business come June.
Old 21 May 2009, 07:39 (Ref:2466195)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I have been looking at the tunnel availabilty for Sunday and the last service 22.40 from calias is now full so if you have not booked yet you will either have to get there for the 22.20 or use a ferry, and most of those are getting full for the sunday night.
Old 21 May 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2466311)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're using the tunnel, at great expense, for the first time in years. I'm actually looking forward to it.
Old 21 May 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2466331)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
We're using the tunnel, at great expense, for the first time in years. I'm actually looking forward to it.
The journey time is very boring, nothing to do but look at the 4 or 5 cars in your part of the train, if you are lucky there may be a loo in your section but nothing to look at out of the window and the advertising notices take a few minutes to read. But it is quick and loading/unloading is very slick.
Old 21 May 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2466359)   #5
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A word of advice to those using the tunnel to return for the first time, allow extra time for checkin! I know it's a lot slicker now, but we used it a couple of years ago, and got to Calais roughly around the time we should have based on their checkin times, but we only got through checkin just as our train departed! It was that busy!, luckily they put us on one an hour or so later.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2466397)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We are on the last train at 22.40 so nothing until gone 2.00 in the morning if we miss that one.
Old 21 May 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2466456)   #7
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The journey time is very boring, nothing to do but look at the 4 or 5 cars in your part of the train, if you are lucky there may be a loo in your section but nothing to look at out of the window and the advertising notices take a few minutes to read. But it is quick and loading/unloading is very slick.
Party Pooper!

You can always do exciting things like walk up to the end of your cariage and back again, or gaze out of the window and watch the tunnel wall pass by!

Seriously though, I use the morning outbound trip to drink my double espresso and eat a sandwich while reading the newspaper. The return trip is great for a quick half-hour snooze.

In a way, I'm pleased to hear the trains are full, although as Aston Geoff rightly states, the queues get lengthy (and I always seem to choose the queue that has the problems!) A crossing a couple of weeks ago was almost empty and I know that freight traffic has declined considerably.
Old 21 May 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2466492)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find the journey times is just enough for a quick leg stretch and a chat with ones dreadful comrades in accompanying vehicles. The terminal shops at either end are also superior to ferry terminals, makes waiting for your train much less of a chore.
Old 21 May 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2466498)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
I find the journey times is just enough for a quick leg stretch and a chat with ones dreadful comrades in accompanying vehicles. The terminal shops at either end are also superior to ferry terminals, makes waiting for your train much less of a chore.
They have shops there? Usually arrive queue up and get on shuttle, same at calais, like to spend as little time there as possible.
Old 21 May 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2466639)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
It's so well organised you can park up, use the facilities, get some Euros and be back into the train queue in 5mins. The French side used to have a good Duty Free shop back in the day when that was allowed.
Old 21 May 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2466649)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
It's so well organised you can park up, use the facilities, get some Euros and be back into the train queue in 5mins. The French side used to have a good Duty Free shop back in the day when that was allowed.
I know the English side from old but these days I cut things much finer and go striaght to the boarding queues, only live 25 miles from the tunnel so can leave at 6.45 and still get the 8.00 shuttle.
Old 21 May 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2466681)   #12
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those check in queues can be an absolute nightmare! I remember the year they introduced the automatic touch screens, everyone in front of us seemed to be so completely pathetic about inputting simple info that in the end I sent my son down ahead to do it for them!
If I hadn't I reckon we'd still be there!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2580753)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
For anyone that is interested, Eurotunnel for 2010 prices are looking cheaper than 2009, Going on Wednesday morning back Sunday evening looks like £42 each way. However last shuttle is at 22.45 from Calais

Also you can use Tesco Clubcard points so that takes the cost down to £21 return. Points can also be used on other ferries, keeps the costs down a little.