Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:09 (Ref:742390)   #1
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should JV take pole position in Japan?

IF this Sunday's Japanese GP is Villeneuve's last what has he got to lose by running light and snaching P1 on Saturday?
I think if I was him I'd rather go out with a bang than just a literal BANG! when his car blows up half-way through the race!
Who knows perhaps if he can mix it up with the front runners for the opening ten laps or so it might get team bosses talking about Villeneuve again?

I know as a JV fan these last five years have been total agony to watch, with only a few podiums here and there. If anything JV should do it for his loyal fans who have supported him all these years with nothing to really cheer about.

I always thought that a light-feul strategy would work best for JV anyways, since he has the balls to overtake where others would never dare. However he has always gone for the heavy race strategy which means his only chance of passing comes through the pits, which doesn't seem to suit the agressive JV style, not to mention that such a strategy also requires a car that will last the entire race, which has been a rareity for JV's BAR this year.

Some people might see it as a desperate last move, but hey desperate times call for desperate measures and he's got nothing to lose! I think he should do it just to spite the F1 cirus that won't give a former WDC a drive while guys like Coutard, Ralf and Barrichello keep their seats!

Last edited by TeddyG; 6 Oct 2003 at 22:10.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:15 (Ref:742393)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Jacques has the car to be on pole, even if he's running on fumes. The difference between the big 4 and the others are too big.

I'm all for it if it meant a 2004 contract, but...
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:25 (Ref:742397)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First and last GP on pole?
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:40 (Ref:742411)   #4
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the team let him run light?
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:57 (Ref:742420)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is JV confirmed to race??

If they put some ultra sticky Bridgestones on it, wih Honda's best qualifying engine, and if JV pulls a laptime out of his fundamental orifice, it is conceptually possible.

Not likely but conceptually possible
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:57 (Ref:742421)   #6
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I can see Jacques emulating Allan McNish's near-fatal 2002 shunt...
Old 6 Oct 2003, 23:04 (Ref:742425)   #7
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Sato letter Jacques have another drive of the Honda with the Special Suzuka engine at this weekends Japan GP
Old 7 Oct 2003, 02:50 (Ref:742508)   #8
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ElScOrChO
Would the team let him run light?
Yeah that's what I'm wondering too. Is it the driver's call how much fuel goes in for qualifying? I'm guessing with BAR's fight for 5th in the constructors they wouldn't let him go for pole. But if it's his own choice I think he should go for it.

In response to somebody elses statement about the BAR not having enough pace to do it I think the BAR is roughly about a second down per lap on the Ferrari so if they ran it light enough I am sure they could do it if they wanted.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:12 (Ref:742643)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think BAR will be more concerned with scoring points on Sunday so qualifying will consist of just being as far up the grid as possible with the best possible strategy for the race.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:23 (Ref:742706)   #10
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What goods that going to do when he has to pit for fuel on lap 3?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:39 (Ref:742760)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Points are far too valuable -especially considering the relatively good chances for Bridgestone at this GP and the possible 5th place in the Constructor's.

This "Suzuka Special" Honda engine talk makes me laugh - what's that then, the one that doesn't explode?

Good luck to Jacques in his last race for BAR - here's hoping that we at last get the straight on-track battle between Jenson and Jacques that we have craved all season.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:15 (Ref:742790)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
What goods that going to do when he has to pit for fuel on lap 3?
The point was that it was going to allow him to grab headlines for getting the pole in his last race. Mind you, the team probably wouldn't let him do it.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:17 (Ref:742794)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He could always try and grab headlines by having a good weekend and scoring well. Novel concept, but it might work!

Before anyone says it, I know he'll need some reliability to achieve that - but not all of his defecit this year has been due to reliability.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:742802)   #14
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah maybe but it's a bit late to do that. It is a bit of a novel concept for him
Old 7 Oct 2003, 11:01 (Ref:742826)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think hell run light, BAR still want 5th in the WCC and running light will seriously compromise them
Old 7 Oct 2003, 11:58 (Ref:742880)   #16
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice idea but i doubt it will happen. if this was permitted by the team i think he would have tried it a lot earier in the season.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 12:56 (Ref:742970)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I think if I was him, I wouldn't raced there.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 13:14 (Ref:743001)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I think BAR will be more concerned with scoring points on Sunday so qualifying will consist of just being as far up the grid as possible with the best possible strategy for the race.
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Points are far too valuable -especially considering the relatively good chances for Bridgestone at this GP and the possible 5th place in the Constructor's.

Whilst i agree with both these statements, but it's in BAR's interests to have a good race, it's in JV's interests to have a good qualifying session. As JV is out of BAR next season, i don't think that 5th place in the WCC will concern him too much.

Is it his or the teams (or both) decision what qualifying/race fuel usage goes onto the car? I can see a conflict of interest within that team at the weekend.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 14:11 (Ref:743055)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be a good gamble even for BAR/Honda. They want to look good, create buzz, etc. Having their car on pole and leading for a few laps at their home GP would mean a lot. I'm surprised more lesser teams don't try this stratagy.

Hasn't Honda brought out faster engines for the Japanese GP (or just before it) in the past? I'm sure they can produce something that will explode after 10 laps (instead of the usual 15) and give JV an advantage for a short period of time.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 14:14 (Ref:743056)   #20
Glen
Veteran

Got be the team's decision - he might be on the way out but he still gets several hundred thousand dollars for that weekend's work. For that kind of money he can do as he's told!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 14:27 (Ref:743072)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team are probably so glad to be shot of him...

I've always wondered what would happen if you ran super light, pitted on lap 3 or 4 - would it be so much of a disadvantage? You'd have a lovely clear track for the first half of the race and wouldn't be hampered by traffic...
Old 7 Oct 2003, 15:43 (Ref:743140)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well even if he did run light, I think there is a slim chance the other team principals might know. Like when he pits on lap 6.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 15:56 (Ref:743152)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon they would guess by round about 2pm (local time) on the Saturady
Old 7 Oct 2003, 20:23 (Ref:743335)   #24
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe JV could get pole by doing a Sepang type strategy - short stint, but no more stops than anyone else. Alonso took pole in Sepang, and finished 3rd.

And does anyone remember Mark Webber almost getting pole position in Brazil earlier this year
Old 7 Oct 2003, 21:36 (Ref:743384)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Maybe JV could get pole by doing a Sepang type strategy - short stint, but no more stops than anyone else. Alonso took pole in Sepang, and finished 3rd.

But most teams do this now, plus the BAR is not a Renault, it won't finish third unless there is bad weather like at Indy.

To have just enough fuel for a short stint and still be quicker than the top teams he'd have to go with an old style set up, 3 laps of fuel and a qualifying stratergy, which would make him look good if he acheives it, but if he were to make a mistake and qualify only 10th then have to come into the pits after 3 laps of the race he's going to look a bit of a plum