Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jan 2004, 05:27 (Ref:831208)   #1
ncr2003fan
Rookie

ncr2003fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Levels Raceway

How Much does it cost to get in at Levels raceway?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 05:41 (Ref:831216)   #2
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a level raceways?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 05:45 (Ref:831219)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMAO. Ingnorant ruddy Aussies :P Levels Raceway is a goat track at Timaru if I remember rightly.

It will cost jack to get in - No Carrera Cup, BRutes, Supercars, Procar or anyone at the NZ national meeting.

Take $30-40 for a ticket including pit pass and some tucker for race day Sunday at a conservative guess!

Last edited by Just Do It!; 8 Jan 2004 at 05:48.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:22 (Ref:831232)   #4
Peter Walsh
Racer

Peter Walsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mate pay no attention to the Aussies who do not know what it is like to be able to roll up for 20 bucks on the day' move freely wherever you like and enjoy some of the closest and most exciting racing you are likely to see.Just for the aggrevation you copped here come along to the ORIX Team Racing bus and corporate facility tell the boss man your with Mr Keen and they will shout you beers all day and you will enjoy the best bbq in years.They are not pretentious and I know if you are a motor sport fan they would like nothing better than to see you there and shout you a coldy.Thats what makes em great.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:34 (Ref:831234)   #5
sevi
Veteran

Well I am sorry.
At least I now know, that is why I asked the question.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:38 (Ref:831238)   #6
Deano
Rookie

Deano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr keen
Just for the aggrevation you copped here ......
Jeeees! Agravation??

Sensitive ruddy Kiwis.

Last edited by Deano; 8 Jan 2004 at 06:38.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 06:54 (Ref:831245)   #7
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents, I for one Aussie think the track is a wee ripper.

I was there for a race in around 96/97 and the big loop at the southern end of the circuit was mad to watch the TranZ-Am's around and even better to drive in an FF. The Back straight needs to be longer though.

For further info when you have had a "Shandy" too many a Taxi from Timaru to Christchurch airport then cost NZ$124 but is a very pretty road to be chauffered along and cheaper than booking another flight. There is a nice Sandstone Pub at the eastern end of Timaru that will also supply the grog you need to rule out driving as an option.

A must say I originally thought and for half the weekend that the track was called "leavils" until I was able to decipher the accent.

Last edited by Ross Cadell; 8 Jan 2004 at 06:55.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 07:05 (Ref:831248)   #8
sevi
Veteran

That would be about the price of a cab from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, wouldn't it?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 07:24 (Ref:831254)   #9
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

The ticket contacts are on the motorsport company webpage

www.motorsport.org.nz/mrnz

The number to call for tickets to Levels is 0800 484 6278.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 07:25 (Ref:831258)   #10
Peter Walsh
Racer

Peter Walsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah OK just a bit sensative about the series here in the mother ship.Levels raceway is ok and as some one who is a racing tart and regularly attends Aussie and international events I have seen a few tracks and facilities in my day.The kiwi tracks apart from Taupo are pretty neat and the facilities for the punters are now a very rare commodity in the world.You can still roll up with a bus, trailer, marquee or whatever, erect it and have the big day out.Try that at anything to do with International Money Grabbers.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 08:53 (Ref:831292)   #11
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr keen
Mate pay no attention to the Aussies who do not know what it is like to be able to roll up for 20 bucks on the day' move freely wherever you like and enjoy some of the closest and most exciting racing you are likely to see.
I dunno about the move freely wherever you like bit,last time I went to levels for a meeting like that,they had 12500 people there and you couldn't even see the track as it was 6 deep from the Southern loop down to the decreasing radius.

As far as a track goes it's my favourite one to race on in the country!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 03:36 (Ref:834029)   #12
Amonfan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Amonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have GPL, you can race on Level's , and Just Do It, its like a goat track, makes Winton feel like a Le Mans, hehe.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 02:51 (Ref:836142)   #13
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a bit OT, but as we have the Kiwis attention then here goes....

Whereabout is the Levin racetrack and is it still used? Did Toyota use the Levin name on their Corolla because they racked up their first Corolla win there or what?
Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:50 (Ref:836179)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
prn 31,

The Levin circuit I believe still exists in some form. Its pretty pvergrown, but if you got in touch with Allan Dick at Driver Magazine in Auckland, he knows a lot of the circuit history and some years ago he did a feature on it in his magazine.

As to the Toyota concept of using the Levin name, I cannot confirm that - though I will go so far as to say that it was done in conjunction with Chris Amon is all that I have been told.
As for the Corolla ever racing at the Levin circuit, I am unsure. Manfield would have been functioning when the Corolla was released, I am almost certain. What I don't know is when the Levin circuit stopped being used.

Plans are afoot for a huge circuit near Wellington that could include an oval up to 2 miles in length I am told, but this too has all gone a little silent.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 03:52 (Ref:836180)   #15
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
there's a race track in levin? lol
Old 13 Jan 2004, 04:07 (Ref:836185)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There was a race track at Levin. it was 1.12 miles long, inside the horse racing track, and sort of looked like a kidney shape or an oval that someone had kicked in on one side. They ran internationals there right up till 1971-72 (Jim Clark in a Lotus 49 vs Amon in a Tasman Dino in 68) The last event I saw there was won by Johnny walker in a F5000 Lola T330 Repco V8. Beat Bartlett, McRae, Lawrence, Max Stewarts T400. They ran a whole support programme of 14 short quickfire races before a crowd (at the international) of 12000-15000 people. Great Place.

Last edited by Teretonga; 13 Jan 2004 at 04:12.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:11 (Ref:836234)   #17
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
prn 31,

The Levin circuit I believe still exists in some form. Its pretty pvergrown, but if you got in touch with Allan Dick at Driver Magazine in Auckland, he knows a lot of the circuit history and some years ago he did a feature on it in his magazine.

As to the Toyota concept of using the Levin name, I cannot confirm that - though I will go so far as to say that it was done in conjunction with Chris Amon is all that I have been told.
As for the Corolla ever racing at the Levin circuit, I am unsure. Manfield would have been functioning when the Corolla was released, I am almost certain. What I don't know is when the Levin circuit stopped being used.

Plans are afoot for a huge circuit near Wellington that could include an oval up to 2 miles in length I am told, but this too has all gone a little silent.
Thanks for that.

However I think Corolla Levins predates Chris Amon's involvement with Toyota. We are going back to the racing Corollas of the 70's here. Alas Levin has just become another model for Corollas over here, no motorsport aspirations at all. The hot Corollas (well mild to warm) are called Sportivo!!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:39 (Ref:836249)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What motorsport aspirations does any of the Toyota range have? The Celica picked up a class win at the 24hr but does that mean the inability to produce power below 4,000rpm is forgiven? It just gets worse putting that very same engine in the slightly lighter Corolla package...

I still hanker for the good old days of Village Grand Prix at Blacktown
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Jan 2004, 03:46 (Ref:843528)   #19
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
What motorsport aspirations does any of the Toyota range have? The Celica picked up a class win at the 24hr but does that mean the inability to produce power below 4,000rpm is forgiven? It just gets worse putting that very same engine in the slightly lighter Corolla package...

I still hanker for the good old days of Village Grand Prix at Blacktown
Ahhh, bring back the days of the Village Grand Prix .... Remember going there when I should've been at Uni lectures. No guessing which was more fun!

Careful GTR, I own a Japanese buzzbox that only comes alive at 5700 and goes bonkers to 8000 plus. Mind you, I never did get to drive the latest Celica as the dealer salesman wasn't paying attention and I walked up the road. Still I wasn't displeased from reading the road tests, though having 6 speeds would be nice.

As for the Corolla Sportivo with Celica engine; nice idea but poorly executed. They needed to do more then "lets just drop it in." It needs to be tuned to the car, but it seems that the marketing people were too busy patting themselves on the back to let the engineering guys in on the plan.

GTR, surely you of all people know why the genuine sporty Corollas of olde were called Levin?
Old 20 Jan 2004, 04:21 (Ref:843538)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, the Levin was the sports model of the venerable Sprinter we never got to see here, but was Bob Holden's frontline weapon for many a year. 4AGE engine, with a disc brake and LSD equipped rear end, it was the Corolla contribution to Group A for seemingly forever.

There are a couple of new model Levin Corollas in the marketing types' carpark... so it seems the illusion became somebody's reality

I dont mind the idea of being able to rev the bejeesus out of one of these things, but just like a WRX, it can get very tiresome in traffic....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods