Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1204734)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari commit to F1 until 2012

According to Autosport Ferrari have re-signed a new deal, commiting them to F1 until 2012. Surely this will mean the end of the GPWC? It will have even less credibility without Ferrari. How much did Bernie give them to sell out the others?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1204737)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think you'll find they've "sold out" the others at all.

I suspect Bernie has reached agreements with the teams in general over revenues and we'll see announcements as and when.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1204754)   #3
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meant the other members of the GWPC. I guess if they all took Bernies cash then they are defunct anyway, but if Merc and Renault (for example) were holding out for a better deal then their hand is considerably weakened, isn't it?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1204761)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon Merc/Renault etc have done or will do deals very soon.

GPWC was a negotiating tool - it's worked.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1204836)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

You can bet your life that Ferrari will be getting an even bigger slice of this new pie,why would they sign up now without discussing it with the other teams first,i wonder what Ron, Frank and Flav think of this,it's just another tool to keep Ferrari ahead of the game,just lately Ferraris whole attitude stinks,BE was in dire straits(not the rock group)and he has obviously dangled a very large carrot to get Ferrari to sign up and no doubt Ferrari will have added a few of their own conditions to the deal.It'll be interesting to see what the other teams do,maybe Ferrari will have their own one-make championship.

Last edited by Marbot; 19 Jan 2005 at 16:38.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1204840)   #6
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bye Bye GPWC.....
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1204852)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
it's just another tool to keep Ferrari ahead of the game,just lately Ferraris whole attitude stinks
I love posts like this. Instead of telling it how it is; i.e. Ferrari is the team with the best driver and best car (and that Ron and Frank and the rest of them should wake up and learn how to make a competative car), it is said that Ferrari somehow gains unfair advantages.

I suppose they didn't have these unfair advantages in the 80's and 90's when they went though 20 plus years without at WDC??
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1204856)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
But they still had the money!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1204862)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
From Gazzetta:
"Le questioni del Patto della Concordia per cui erano preoccupati sono state sistemate e otterrano più soldi, come chiedevano". Ha detto che la sua offerta ai team è stata di 500 milioni di dollari (quasi 384 milioni di euro) in più per i prossimi tre anni. Le altre squadre non hanno ancora firmato ma, ha spiegato Bernie, conoscono i nuovi termini dell'accordo. "I manager con cui ho parlato - ha detto l'inglese - sono soddisfatti. Almeno cinque o sei di loro. Li ho informati al telefono e la loro valutazione è stata positiva". E ha specificato che McLaren, Williams e Renault sono tra le squadre con cui ha parlato.

Translation, summed up: Bernie offered all the teams an extra 500 Million dollars (in addition to what they get now) for the next 3 years. The other teams know the conditions, and have not yet signed, but Bernie claims they were satisfied. McLaren Williams and Renault were amongst the teams he talked to.

So it looks like F1 is back in business!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1204863)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

How do we know that Ron and Frank didn't know about this?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1204869)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

on Autosport.com

Quote:

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that part of the package of terms that helped secure Ferrari's shock long-term commitment to the sport was an improved financial pay-out – and he has promised similar terms to other outfits.

This is a positive day for F1 and not a time for Ferrari-bashing.

The sport we all love has avoided a potentially damaging episode.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1204877)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
OK,so the other teams get a similar deal.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1204883)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cash cash, ok, we all knew that GPWC was a tool to force Bernie's hand. What about FIA? Will they be able to change rules every week if they see it fit?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1204887)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Similar = much the same.

Just seen some Paul Stoddart quotes on the newswires.

He's happy.

I reckon if Ferrari are happy at one extreme and Stoddart is at the other, this is good news.

Stoddart says this is the end of the threat of a rival championship.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1204889)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
You really had to mention that name, haven't you? (there goes a negative vote to this thread )
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1204932)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Read "Money wins the day" www.grandprix.com Not everyone is happy.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1204936)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's just the opinion of whoever wrote it for grandprix.com

There's no evidence any of the teams are anything but pleased.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1204941)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom

It's just a little worrying that so far only Ferrari have signed,maybe the other teams have found something in the smallprint.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1204944)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Game over for the GPWC, great poker game though, one of the best BE has been in for a long time, made great viewing.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1204945)   #20
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm quite pleased, i'd more rather have a championship run by the fia(for all it's faults), than by manufacturers who could come and go at their own whims.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1204992)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
If FIA only minds its own business I'd rather see it too. However if FIA is able to do whatever they want in the name of 'increase entertainment and revenue' sorry, but I'll pass.

PS: Indeed, great poker game, not sure who bluffed or who won because of a better hand but it was a great show from both sides.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1205409)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very unlikely the war is over yet - Ferrari have signed an agreement that no-one else has signed - the last time this happened there were 4 car Grand Prix - furthermore isn't the Concorde supposed to be a joint agreement - it sounds like we have here an agreement that is not only secret from the public but more likely than not from the other teams too
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1205465)   #23
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me it sounds like Ferarri have been paid to sign. From what I have read they already get more cash from BE then any other team - so how does that encourage an open and competitive champonship?

In my view each team should get the same "deal". If the teams want more money they should find external sponsership...... In fact to me it all seems very underhand and corrupt.

I agree that the teams should get money for championship points to encourage them to do better and offer an incentive for being competitive... but this is where the financial rewards provided by FIA/FOA or whatever end.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1205472)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Bernie says he has spoken to McLaren, Williams et al - and we've certainly heard no complaints from them.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1205484)   #25
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Bernie says he has spoken to McLaren, Williams et al - and we've certainly heard no complaints from them.
yet.....