Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Nov 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3588370)   #851
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
There were rumours that Saxo Bank might be backing KM aside from his usual backers, so he might be able to get the drive. I read that Manor want £10M per seat and Mercedes were at around £3M to £4M in their offer.
Agreed, I can imagine his manager which I believe is Mikka Hakkinen is royally tapping up all possible sponsors in order to pay for and land the Manor seat.....for me Rossi is just an un-known quantity still, for sure he is half decent and not a mug, but if Manor have any sense they will realise that Magnussen can score points due to good previous experience, I believe each point is worth circa 30 million so more than worth the risk, hence they can split their bets with both Magnussen and Stevens.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3588415)   #852
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
merhi's really good, but without knowing exactly why f1 isn't suiting him it's hard to back him.
Agree with you about Merhi, he is a fantastic driver and i hope that this season hasn't finished his single seater career, i would love to see him drop down to GP2 and do a Grosjean. Regarding his perfomances this season, as far as i can make out the general consensus is that with the car being bang on the weight limit and his size compared to Stevens he has been at a half second disadvantage from the start, that being said he has done a pretty decent job to get anywhere near Will at all let alone in front of him as the season has worn on.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3588465)   #853
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yup, Merhi did a bloody good job really. Rossi must also have done as well?

Although I would think on pure ability the Spaniard had both of them licked.

Unfortunately it's hard for most people to see that.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3588620)   #854
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Unfortunately it's hard for most people to see that.
I think most people haven't seen it as he hasn't really shown it.

There is an asterisk or two to go along with that statement of course, but for the most part he hasn't really impressed this year.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 20:35 (Ref:3588637)   #855
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yup, Merhi did a bloody good job really.
I haven't heard any express other than great disappointment in Merhi. Weight or no weight Will Sltevens is not exactly considered a top liner and Merhi has been thumped
Old 6 Nov 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3588661)   #856
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I haven't heard any express other than great disappointment in Merhi. Weight or no weight Will Sltevens is not exactly considered a top liner and Merhi has been thumped
I know it is all about opinions but i really can't see how you think he has been thumped.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3588662)   #857
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Stevens beat Merhi in pretty much every qualy and race at the beginning of the season. I think Mehri has improved in the latter part of the season though, but not by much. Maybe others have seen something different to me....

Rossi on he other hand has come in and beat Stevens straight away.
Old 8 Nov 2015, 00:04 (Ref:3588908)   #858
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Stevens beat Merhi in pretty much every qualy and race at the beginning of the season. I think Mehri has improved in the latter part of the season though, but not by much. Maybe others have seen something different to me....

Rossi on he other hand has come in and beat Stevens straight away.
Agreed.

I really didn't see much in Mehri this season at all. For Rossi, who is somewhat questionable at times, to come in an consistantly start beating Stevens straight away, then it probably tells you what you need to know!

Selby
Old 11 Nov 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3589652)   #859
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Agreed.

I really didn't see much in Mehri this season at all. For Rossi, who is somewhat questionable at times, to come in an consistantly start beating Stevens straight away, then it probably tells you what you need to know!

Selby
Indeed, it probably tells me that Rossi got the support he needed to do the job because there's no way Rossi is more talented than Merhi.
I always got the impression Merhi did a fantastic job given the tools at his disposal and Stevens was getting the favourable treatment justifiably so if he was bringing more backing.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3589700)   #860
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Maybe. Perhaps Stevens had 10 good weekends when he was driving alongside Merhi and had 4 bad weekends the 4 times he was up against Rossi...
Old 11 Nov 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3589719)   #861
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Merhi took a while to get up to speed. When he did, he returned to the front in F.Renault 3.5 aswell
Old 11 Nov 2015, 22:42 (Ref:3589828)   #862
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Tavo Hellmund along with a group of American investors are looking at buying Manor.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121747

That could be interesting. They want the deal completed by early next year or it won't happen. I am just trying to figure out why anybody would want to buy an F1 team in the current climate, as a lot of teams seam to be changing owners at the moment ( Lotus, Force India and now Manor) or new ones coming in.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3589842)   #863
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where Tavo Hellmund along with a group of American investors are looking at buying Manor.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121747

That could be interesting. They want the deal completed by early next year or it won't happen. I am just trying to figure out why anybody would want to buy an F1 team in the current climate, as a lot of teams seam to be changing owners at the moment ( Lotus, Force India and now Manor) or new ones coming in.

http://www.pitpass.com/55153/Hellmund-eyeing-Manor

I know this is the reality, but I hate the mindset!

"It would never be our goal to compete with the manufacturer teams," admits Hellmund. "We're never going to spend $400 million a year like Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren. But we think you can run it respectably and not be in the red. I think you can fight for fifth."

Based on:

However, with an eye on the fact that in the coming years the smaller teams look likely to get a bigger share of the sport's income, he reveals that he is pondering making a bid

Good luck!
Old 6 Dec 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3595990)   #864
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manor set for a name change now Booth and Lowdon have left?
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32644.html
Old 7 Dec 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3596092)   #865
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Manor set for a name change now Booth and Lowdon have left?
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32644.html
That would seem to be eminently logical, as Manor Motorsport is a company founded by John Booth, and has been the entrant to many drivers in various classes of motor racing over the years.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3596166)   #866
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Probably have another stupid situation where the name change will lag a year behind, because F1...

Selby
Old 8 Dec 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3596429)   #867
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That would seem to be eminently logical, as Manor Motorsport is a company founded by John Booth, and has been the entrant to many drivers in various classes of motor racing over the years.
logical, but there's plenty of precedent for manor really being a bit of a franchise sort of name - manor competition (the shaws) split from manor motorsport and continued in formula renault 2.0 for several years - they merged with mp motorsport and are now manor mp motorsport. confused yet?
Old 11 Dec 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3597037)   #868
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Lot of Manor GP vacancies advertised in Autosport this week, so must be investing more.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3597040)   #869
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Lot of Manor GP vacancies advertised in Autosport this week, so must be investing more.
looking at the amount of Manor job adverts on Autosport (11 off! link below) this would imply either Fitzpatrick is investing more......or 11 people have also left the team quickly.....many of the 11 positions are very big roles and to be recruiting them in late december 2015 really does note bode well for the 2016 season whatsoever......it would appear that Fitzpatrick has interfered in the team too much and people have voted with their feet and simply walked off to other teams.

Initially I thought Fitzpatrick was a racer and into F1, but the reality of the situation is he is just a venture-capitalist who is looking to quickly flip his investment for a healthy profit...... ker-ching.....he's just in it for the money, a real shame as it was looking like 2016 was going to be a massive year for Manor.....now it already looks like a tragedy with John Booth & Bob Bell walking off in apparent dismay of the Manor situation.

http://motorsport-jobs.autosport.com/job/616/manor-f1/vacancy/1227/various-vacancies

Old 11 Dec 2015, 14:38 (Ref:3597092)   #870
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
looking at the amount of Manor job adverts on Autosport (11 off! link below) this would imply either Fitzpatrick is investing more......or 11 people have also left the team quickly.....many of the 11 positions are very big roles and to be recruiting them in late december 2015 really does note bode well for the 2016 season whatsoever......it would appear that Fitzpatrick has interfered in the team too much and people have voted with their feet and simply walked off to other teams.

Initially I thought Fitzpatrick was a racer and into F1, but the reality of the situation is he is just a venture-capitalist who is looking to quickly flip his investment for a healthy profit...... ker-ching.....he's just in it for the money, a real shame as it was looking like 2016 was going to be a massive year for Manor.....now it already looks like a tragedy with John Booth & Bob Bell walking off in apparent dismay of the Manor situation.

http://motorsport-jobs.autosport.com...ious-vacancies

You might be right, but I do not see how you can jump to such a conclusion just off the back of the team advertising some job vacancies. Maybe they are increasing the number of staff in a concerted effort to move up the grid in the coming seasons.

We will find out soon enough.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3597110)   #871
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rio Haryanto likely to be one of the Manor drivers in 2016

a letter from the Indonesian government to Manor has been leaked:

Old 11 Dec 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3597142)   #872
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Doesn't Jakarta have email?
Who does international business deals by post anymore?

Anyway, I like Haryanto, and I like having new people and nations on the grid, so I'm giving this a thumbs up.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3597149)   #873
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Doesn't Jakarta have email?
Who does international business deals by post anymore?

I think this was a fax
Old 11 Dec 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3597177)   #874
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
I think this was a fax
What is this, the '70s?
Old 13 Dec 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3597471)   #875
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's taken harayanto a long time to get to where he is now, usually with backmarker teams but occasionally with a top drive. I did hear that 2015 was the first time he moved to be near his team instead of just appearing at the races, so possibly that's something to do with the upturn in form