Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3590975)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max V Lewis

After the Brazilian Grand Prix Hamilton complained that it was impossible to overtake at Interlagos, claiming that he was faster than Nico but could not pass because of the nature of the circuit!

Why was Max Verstappen not told this?
Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3590977)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
his reaction to Hamiltons claim has been caught on camera

Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3590979)   #3
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
This is why Max is such a breath of fresh air, we know he will go for overtakes and make tham stick, Spa still sticks in my mind now.

Rather this than wait for the 'undercut' or for the team to do something to help them get by.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:41 (Ref:3590980)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Max is great, but this is a ridiculous thread.

Max finished 9th. He was passing cars that were outside of the top 10. Lewis finished second. He had to pass the car that was either fastest, or second fastest. That's a little bit harder than passing any of the cars that Max passed.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3590981)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think Max is great, but this is a ridiculous thread.

Max finished 9th. He was passing cars that were outside of the top 10. Lewis finished second. He had to pass the car that was either fastest, or second fastest. That's a little bit harder than passing any of the cars that Max passed.
Max had to pass cars with much more power
Old 17 Nov 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3590984)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Max overtook people who were in different cars, on different tyre strategies.

The fact that Verstappen finished more-or-less where he started should tell you something.

Lets not downplay how good some of his moves were, but get a bit of perspective at the same time.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3590986)   #7
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loo ridiculous comparison. Hamilton's following an equal car and a car he can't take unreasonable risks to overtake. It's as if Hamilton is a mediocre driver incapable of passing another car? Hah.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3590996)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm a big debate guy. I'll debate anythin' time permitting.

But we're going down the rabbit hole with this one. It just pulls us off the real conversation we need to have. And that is getting a substantial slash in down force so we can get these cars racin' again.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3590998)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have thought that the point that Bauble is making is that, or so it seems to me, every time that Hamilton is beaten by Rosberg, his reasoning is that it was outside elements that prevented him from winning.

Too often, Hamilton's "excuses" are that the car was no good, the team strategy was all wrong or now, the track doesn't allow for overtaking so Rosberg won. Not once, that I am aware of, has he just come out and said 'You know what, the best man on the day just won'. There is far more dignity in doing that than making remarks that can be rubbished.

Although the track is difficult to pass on and to make the pass stick, it can be done and has been done many times. There have been some historic overtakes going into turn one in the past, and they have enlivened the races. The problem that Hamilton has is that Rosberg's car is just as quick as his, and Rosberg has proven that he is more than capable of braking just as late Hamilton. Under those circumstances, therefore, he has to rely on his opponenent making a mistake (or the team making a hash of Rosberg's pitting) or be ultra aggresive. Maybe now that the championship is concluded, Rosberg has decided that if Hamilton wants to bash his way through to the front, then let him take us out then!
Old 17 Nov 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3591001)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He gave credit to Rosberg. Fulsome praise was sent to Nico. Now maybe he took a different tune at the press conference, I dunno, those interviews bore me but on the podium he praised Rosberg

I do suspect now that's he won the championship he isn't trying as hard but the race was stodgy throughout the field with the rare exception and that is a fundamental problem that I hope -- naively hope -- that'll they go and tackle in some meaningful way. i.e not with more gimmicks.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:02 (Ref:3591004)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He gave credit to Rosberg. Fulsome praise was sent to Nico. Now maybe he took a different tune at the press conference, I dunno, those interviews bore me but on the podium he praised Rosberg
On the podium he also wouldn't stand next to Rosberg In fact when he got out the car he kept his helmet on and largely ignored Rosberg (and Vettel) until they got out onto the podium. Once there he had his grumpy face on and kept his distance (and kept the Mercedes bloke between himself and Rosberg where possible). Sulky Lewis this time rather than sulky Rosberg!
Old 17 Nov 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3591042)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some interesting replies to what was meant to raise a smile (Thanks Steve! excellent) and nothing more. It was not a knock Hamilton exercise, or a praise Verstappen attempt, merely emphasising the rather wide gulf between words and reality.

A triple World Champion saying you can't pass and an 18 year old rookie proving him wrong. Lewis passed a number of cars quite easily coming out of the pits and making his way back to second place without the aid of blue flags.

What he should have said I could not pass Nico because the cars were an equal match. Put like that he would not have sounded like a whinger, simply stating a fact.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3591047)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but he did say nice things about NR on the podium press conference though:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121820

MB: This guy has got the legs on you at the moment. You've got to come back for Abu Dhabi somehow.

LH: Yeah, Nico has been driving fantastically well. He did a fantastic job in qualifying, especially in the last few races. The last race he drove fantastically well, today no mistakes, so he did good.

yes he said other things as well about difficulties passing for the lead in the same car on the same strategy, all of which are common issues/concerns that most people who watch F1 recognize.

for those that like stats. a 31% drop in passes at this venue compared to last year. in fairness the overtaking rate in the dry is probably historically a lot lower and certainly lower prior to the DRS era.

http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking

anyways, i appreciate you dont like the guy so just be honest about it.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3591054)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Max's take on why its unfair to compare his overtakes with LH's inability to overtake his team mate.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...lton-struggle/

"We have very good cornering speed, so if we are behind a Lotus, Sauber or Force India we catch up in the fast corners, even when we are behind," he said. "So that is different for sure.

"For them [Mercedes], it is equal everywhere – on the corners and the straights. When your car is exactly the same as your teammate and you are behind, it is very tough.

"And when you are behind, you lose a lot in the fast corners. So I can understand Lewis saying that."
Old 17 Nov 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3591057)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
i
Quote:
appreciate you dont like the guy so just be honest about it.
That I have never made a secret of, however, I reiterate, I was not having a go at Lewis, I was amused by the 'can't overtake' comment and the praise that is heaped on Max in the Driver of The Race thread.

Sadly some are so protective of their hero they can't see the wood for the trees.

No I do not like Lewis Hamilton, but have never failed to acknowledge his ability as a driver, but that is not for discussion in this particular thread, it is not the original purpose of my post.

I apologise if anything I have written causes you offence, I like to think w are all friends having a natter and airing our views amongst kindred spirits.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3591058)   #16
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit when I first saw the thread title, I thought you had a new video with a different Max..
Old 17 Nov 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3591077)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I must admit when I first saw the thread title, I thought you had a new video with a different Max..
Max Schmeling

Professional Boxer

Maximillian Adolph Otto Siegfried "Max" Schmeling was a German boxer who was heavyweight champion of the world between 1930 and 1932. His two fights with Joe Louis in 1936 and 1938 were worldwide cultural events because of their national associations.

OK! But the 'Lewis' has me foxed.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3591078)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Max overtook people who were in different cars, on different tyre strategies.

The fact that Verstappen finished more-or-less where he started should tell you something.

Lets not downplay how good some of his moves were, but get a bit of perspective at the same time.
Couldn't agree more.

We're seriously suggesting Lewis isn't a proper 'racer'? Because that's a bit ridiculous, imo. He clearly loves a wheel to wheel battle.

Selby
Old 17 Nov 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3591098)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
his reaction to Hamiltons claim has been caught on camera

2 questions with this. Has a cigarette been airbrushed out of Max's hand? Surely he is too young to smoke.
Secondly, what is wrong with the Boss?
Old 17 Nov 2015, 19:45 (Ref:3591100)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
After the Brazilian Grand Prix Hamilton complained that it was impossible to overtake at Interlagos, claiming that he was faster than Nico but could not pass because of the nature of the circuit!

Why was Max Verstappen not told this?
Max has talked about this and said tit is different for him and Lewis as he wasn't trying to overtake the same car. Which is generous of him and a fair point.

Edit, I see Chillibowl has made this point

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Nov 2015 at 20:00.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3591104)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I apologise if anything I have written causes you offence, I like to think w are all friends having a natter and airing our views amongst kindred spirits.
we are. that was harsh of me to call you out like that. should not have made it personal. apologies
Old 17 Nov 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3591154)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
we are. that was harsh of me to call you out like that. should not have made it personal. apologies
Chills I always say if you are going to insult someone it is better to pick a friend.
No problems from England.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 18 Nov 2015, 00:16 (Ref:3591168)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see refreshing honesty to a question we are asking from Max