Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3283183)   #76
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of course the corollary is that if he knew Button was pitting, as your post appears to suggest, then as Button was only about 1sec slower, Grosjean could have waited. The truth is probably that he wanted to pass because he's a racer and in going off he transgressed. Don't forget that giving the place back is not a "get out of jail card".
Yeah I think if you give the position back straight away, the stewards will accept that and won't penalise you. Unless, you caused an accident, which Grosjean did.

I don't know if Grosjean knew that Button was pitting, and he may not have been pitting at all anyway. The stop could have been to check the damage. But Grosjean hadd already sat behind Button for a long time and was losing a lot of time. Vettel had just got past I think, so had disrupted Button's momentum. It was a fine opportunity to pass. He just had to hold the inside line instead of driving into Button.

It could be argued that he didn't gain a position by cutting the chicane. The position was already well and truly his, and he only cut the chicane because the collision threw him offline.

But anywho, Grosjean did turn up and caused a collision, so should be penalised for that.

He shouldn't have got the Massa penalty I think.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3283196)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough, I wasn't arguing just putting the opposite view. Sadly I have no means of watching the coverage out here, due to the bars being shut during the day (Ramadan) and my hotel not having the necessary channels in the rooms.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3283240)   #78
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of course the corollary is that if he knew Button was pitting, as your post appears to suggest, then as Button was only about 1sec slower, Grosjean could have waited. The truth is probably that he wanted to pass because he's a racer and in going off he transgressed. Don't forget that giving the place back is not a "get out of jail card".
on the other hand, if button was pitting at the end of the lap it made no sense for him to be quite so forceful in defending from grosjean - they weren't racing for the same positions and as long as he kept his laptime up then it didn't matter.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3283243)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
You missed this part of my post did you? :-
Nice to see the fastest cars in 3rd and 4th places because of some excellent driving from Lewis and Kimi.
No, I saw that too but hadn't realised you meant us to ignore the first part....
Old 29 Jul 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3283286)   #80
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
on the other hand, if button was pitting at the end of the lap it made no sense for him to be quite so forceful in defending from grosjean - they weren't racing for the same positions and as long as he kept his laptime up then it didn't matter.
Agreed, but like I said I was just postulating an alternative theory. However I don't think any drivers actually slow, just because they're pitting and allowing a car to pass would have the effect of slowing.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3283322)   #81
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Button was not defending forcefully. Grosjean ran him off the road after the pass had been pretty much made.