Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3564631)   #26
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've ran the Hungaroring plenty, and there is a gigantic bowl that's just being wasted on the circuit's inside. I've never had a problem with set-up choice; tyre wear, all the time, but the set-up is usually straightforward: go for downforce, you gain time in quali but lose it to being caught behind someone in the race, or go for speed and basically use the Nissan solution.

No offence to Britons, but I think Silverstone has gone a bad way since the bridge was dropped. I deplore the hammerhead, but there's really not much that can be done. But do classic circuits really need to be safe to host F1 (Monaco). I say pave it over then gravel pit at the end for the real mess ups and that should deal for most incidents.

Of course, there's a possibility that something could go horribly wrong, but like Bianchi's wreck, it's just too unlikely to predict and counter for; though, someone will still blame people for not anticipating it.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3566195)   #27
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
No offence to Britons, but I think Silverstone has gone a bad way since the bridge was dropped. I deplore the hammerhead, but there's really not much that can be done. But do classic circuits really need to be safe to host F1 (Monaco). I say pave it over then gravel pit at the end for the real mess ups and that should deal for most incidents.
Silverstone is a better circuit for the removal of Bridge overall, in my honest opinion. Abbey/Farm is one of the best sections on the circuit these days, which was particularly well demonstrated by the 6 hours of Silvestone race this year with the battle between the Audi and the Toyota and in the past couple of British Grand Prix races.

The old Abbey chicane didn't provide enough of an opportunity from Club in any series of racing, really, having watched a couple of races from that vantage point in the past. It detracted somewhat from the flow and speed of the racing at the circuit, that you used to get from the old Abbey kink in to Woodcote in the 1980's before bridge was even a thing. The inner section brings back the value if getting a good exit of Club without compromising the safety of the drivers by providing adequate run-off that you couldn't get from the old Abbey kink.

As for your Hungaroring comments, I'm with Yannick, there's not much you can really do. It's a different enough circuit, and the racing is fantastic. Don't mess with it, it's a driver's circuit that's unforgiving, and 2015's showed that.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3566250)   #28
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa

From divisive to minor in Belgium.
Attached Thumbnails
Spa.png   Spa 2015.png  
Old 23 Dec 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3599718)   #29
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not opposed to being controversial. It's not like a have a reputation to uphold! So, here's my minor improvements to Monza. I like the idea of the T1/2 chicane, but it's just too tight. A 90-degree turn that is approximately one car length long before a 120-degree turn the other way? Why not use the short-cut already built in and soften the chicane a bit. Also, I don't like the exit to the Parabolica. It ends on a straight that isn't lined up with the main straight. A little funky and hard to navigate sometimes, so I widened the curve so the exit does line up with the main straight.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6768933
Old 23 Dec 2015, 23:00 (Ref:3599766)   #30
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reducing the angle increases the apex speeds, T1 would become a higher speed with T2 becoming the squeeze point, with only 2m of gravel on the outside for what would be likely to be over 120 mile per hour section.

It also of course removes one of the overtaking places

Also the kerb where it is on the exit of the parabolica marks a track width away from the pit lane opening. If you follow the outside kerb as the racing line, the speed differential of someone having to pull a long way right to the pitlane you'd be as well creating a separate set of corners to get to the pit lane entrance.
Remember the pit wall is in alignment to the banking not the current F1 circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
monza.jpg   Monza 2.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 23 Dec 2015 at 23:34.
Old 28 Dec 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3600561)   #31
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Reducing the angle increases the apex speeds, T1 would become a higher speed with T2 becoming the squeeze point, with only 2m of gravel on the outside for what would be likely to be over 120 mile per hour section.

Remember the pit wall is in alignment to the banking not the current F1 circuit.
Do you think T1/T2 would work better if it were more like the final chicane at Montreal? They don't seem to mind having a wall next to the track, but I do understand speeds are a little slower there.

Ahh...I did not realize that about the pit lane wall. It makes sense now looking closer at it. They were just trying to run out of Parabolica, crossing over the Oval, and later lining up to the original track outside the approach to the Oval. Is the current pit lane on the old line for the Oval? Or is it set back from that as well?
Old 26 May 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3644666)   #32
MegaJK97
Rookie

Germany
Mecklenburg-West Pomerania
MegaJK97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here I got two ideas how to redesign corner 2 of the Sochi Autodrome. I thought about it because of the many incidents like corner-cutting or the 1st-lap-crashes of the last years.
Attached Thumbnails
Sochi International Street Circuit.png  
Old 27 May 2016, 03:07 (Ref:3644732)   #33
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
SBF, the more open version of the first chicane at Monza isn't going to be that fast; they'll be decelerating to make the left-hand part of the sequence. The second part of the chicane is already the bigger squeeze point, because it's tighter and lower now anyway. Furthermore, even if the initial right-hand turn is as fast as you say, dropping from 220-mph to 120-mph is PLENTY for creating an overtaking opportunity under braking.

(Dropping that 100 miles an hour compared to a reduction from 180-mph to 80-mph results in a 30% larger reduction in kinetic energy through braking. There was even some overtaking into the Bosch Kurve in the previous turbo era, where the cars were just going from 210-220-mph down to 155-160-mph.)

As for blowing through the run-off because you botched the braking, that problem isn't really changed much from what already exists there.

Mega, you really don't need anything as elaborate as that at Turn 2 at Sochi. Just slightly re-profile the start of the curve of Turn 3, and make Turn 2 a 90-degree corner without that extra little kink back to the left that keeps fouling things up.

As for what else I'd do with Sochi, I would ease the apexes at Turns 4, 7, 8, 13, 15, 17, and 18 by moving the inner edge to the inside and making the curbing have more of a radius to it. The adjustments at Turns 4, 7, and 15 would be quite small. The easing of Turns 13, 17, and 18 would be somewhat more noticeable. The opening up of Turn 8 would be the most pronounced.