Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 15 Jan 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2106842)   #51
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I've got no problem with the comments - if I had I wouldn't take the designs here in the first place It was just that I really can't make a change in that section of the circuit and was (am) hoping to get some ideas.

And thanx for mentioning Kyalami, I like that circuit a lot for some strange reason.

bio

PS: Szczeczin is spelled somewhat like Sh-che-chin as far as I remember. I don't really speak Polish
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2108320)   #52
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, time for the next one.

This one's located near Chennai, India. The terrain is near flat as far as I could tell.

The track is 5.467 km (3.417 miles) long and runs clockwise.
I's dominated by fast curves. There are three hairpins, still, I think it's basically a fast pace course. As it's slowly beginning to grow as a trademark on me, there are no real long straights, but the longest one, the 817 meter long S/F straight is negotiated from a rather speedy, big radius sweeper so I assume a rather good speed at the end.
The other notable straight is the 804 meter long back straight.

Now let's go a virtual lap.

After the start line and the rest of the S/F straight there comes a corner combination that consists of a 90 degree left one (an excellent overtaking point) followed immediately by a loose right one and after a very short straight a right hairpin. This hairpin is followed by a fast left sweeper I came to call "The Ear". That concludes in a mid-radius right curve (with the first split-time spot between them) that takes us to the back straight. This straight ends in a right hairpin - the second great overtaking opportunity. The hairpin is followed by a quick succession of short straight and hardly curved sections that make up a long left turn broken by a right chicane (and split time spot #2). The chicane takes us to a short left curve leading up to the third, right hairpin, the tightest of the three presenting a possible overtaking spot. Exiting the hairpin there's a long right sweeper that takes us to the S/F straight.

There's an option oval track that's slanted a bit but still has the characteristics of a real oval.

There are arking facilities around (north of) the circuit area plus a VIP parking lot inside. Commercial areas and a small (809 meter long) karting track for the children provides pastime opportunities for the visitors in between events. There's also a camp site for those who cannot afford or don't want to stay in a hotel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chennai_1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	18841 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chennai_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	18842

Name:	Chennai_3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	18843 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chennai_4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	18844

Last edited by bio; 17 Jan 2008 at 21:28.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2108340)   #53
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a friend in Chennai.

As for the circuit, I absolutely love it. The large triple apex corner in the middle of the track looks very exciting, and I love the long left at number four.

Last edited by shambles; 17 Jan 2008 at 21:50.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2108342)   #54
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice graphical presentation as usual Bio.

I feel that there are a couple of things with this design though...

I think I'd extend the straight between T2 and T3, though this wouldn't be possible in the setting that you have choosen.
This would enable T4 (Ear) to be brought out into the centre of the oval a bit allowing T5 to perhaps join the oval and make a much faster entry onto the top straight.

I feel that the infield section is a bit .... Tame.
For a fast circuit it would be the idea location for a slower "technical" section that would make the engineers think about the car setup. Before picking up speed again through the final corner onto the S/F
Old 17 Jan 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2108347)   #55
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely disagree with SBF here on all but one issue, the first corner. I'd make it a sweeping left hander which leads down to the hairpin.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2108611)   #56
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ SBF: there is nothing tame about the infield section IMO. The tightening nr. 4 is a technical challenge if there ever was one. The triple apex curve is fast and demanding. The chicane looks challenging to, and with high kerbs it gives engeneers a challenge as well. Finally the bend to the last haipin will make braking pretty difficult.

@Bio: This track, and most of your tracks usually look beautifull and challenging to drive. But spectators have a duller time at the grandstands. They maybe get easily at their seats by crossing a handy bridge, but the same bridges are blocking their views lots of times.
I would replace the first bridge and the bridge at grandstand H with a tunnel, and get rid of the bridge at stand I.
For motorcycly-safety you may want to redraw the 2 times the track enters the oval.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2108726)   #57
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thanx for the feedback, folks!

SBF, about the tameness of the infield section: with this track my definite aim was to keep it simple, devoid of really troublesome sections. I thought three hairpins, the Ear and the fast left curve+right hairpin combo is enough. Maybe you would like the first draft of this track more where there really was a bit more technical part there. (Plus, I strongly think the second kink of the infield section, the left side one is much trickier than it seems with the predictable speed the cars have picked up after the hairpin.)
As for stretching the back straight - you're right: the terrain doesn't really let it although I wholly agree with you that it would be an improvement..

Shambles, you've got a point there with the sweeper at the end of the S/F straight - just didn't dare to shorten the straight more But, given the possible speed of the cars entering the straight from that rather fast curve, I guess stealing a couple of ten meters from the end would be reasonable sacrifice for a sweeper/hairpin combo as the climax of the start procedure

Werner, the topic you're mentioning, namely the bridges are one of the top reasons for my constant headache - sometimes it seems impossible to place them well - they either block the view or have not enough landing place. I often think of replacing them with tunnels but somehow I feel as it was cheating )) But, I guess, I take your advice (too) and start using tunnels more often.

Thanks for the feedback again, everyone!

bio
Old 18 Jan 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2108727)   #58
bio
Veteran

Hungary
wernr,
I'm afraid I don't quite get that thing with the oval/track cross points regarding cycle safety. You mean the lack of gravelling at critical turns?

bio
Old 18 Jan 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2108751)   #59
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the gravel is partly what werner is getting at, however for motorbikes its a case of where they would apex on the corner, and run out to the kerb/wall on exit.
For me the longer curve isn't a problem for motorbikes as they would hold the apex all the way around, however coming out of the infield, it might be a case of making the entry to the hairpin parallel to the oval so that a late apex would keep the riders away from the wall.

But in saying all that, airfences and other impact absorbing material make a huge difference these days and allow for bikes on Rovals.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2108760)   #60
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I see.

Thanx for clearing that!

bio
Old 1 Feb 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2118736)   #61
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Shame I haven't posted a new one for more than 2 weeks...

But now...

The Christchurch Racing Circuit

from New Zealand.

Track length: 3.936 km (2.46 miles)
Direction: counter-clockwise

The Christchurch Circuit was meant to be an extra user friendly one. No real tricky corners or curves, no unpredictable sections. It's, in fact, the revised version of one of my earliest designs (the parodistically oversized parking area is a remnant of the days I didn't know at all about right proportions - you should see the original gravel traps DD)
There are some optional circuits, the "old layout", a national circuit and two club variants.

Name:	Christchurch_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	894.9 KB
ID:	18942 Click image for larger version

Name:	Christchurch_2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	18943

Name:	Christchurch_3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	18944 Click image for larger version

Name:	Christchurch_4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	18945
Old 1 Feb 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2118752)   #62
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Once again very nice ...an early contender for nominations for February

Personally I might have choosen the top left of the four as the GP layout, the 2nd last corner might encourage tin-tops to have a push and shove up the inside, while at the same time giving a longer run into the final hairpin.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2118763)   #63
bio
Veteran

Hungary
That very layout was the original concept. I just thought I'd replace that hairpin with two easy corners. To be frank I couldn't decide betwee the two. Functionally the hairpin one might work better but I like the looks of the camelback one more

bio
Old 2 Feb 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2118998)   #64
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Christchurch Circuit is very nice indeed. Conceptually, it reminds me of the Buenos Aires track. Was it inspired by that one?
My ficticious OtherWorld(ly) Series would be lining up to stage their GP of New Zealand there, because they don't have this track concept yet, but there are only so many slots in the calendar.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks for posting this one.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2119631)   #65
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thanx, Yannick.

Your Series are welcome

I'd be hugely exaggerating to say I remember the Buenos Aires track's layout at all - I don't even recall ever seeing it a map of it really ))

bio
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2120069)   #66
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would put the paddock at the inside of the track. There is room enough, and it gives spectators at the main grandstand a bit more to see. Also the entrance and exit of the pits wouldn't need to be so funny as they are now.
Exept for the main grandstand though, I think the most stands offer a nice view of a nice track.
I agree with SBF about the layout; racing might be better in the other version. Having said that, I like the esse-section.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2120142)   #67
bio
Veteran

Hungary
werner,
glad you cared to comment.

Originally I had the paddoks in the inside but the place there most surely didn't look big enough - that's why I decided to put in on the outside and include that controversial tunnel.

Why do you think the pitlane entrance looks funny?

bio
Old 4 Feb 2008, 02:55 (Ref:2120194)   #68
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to agree with werner. The scale of the circuit is such that There is plenty of room to place the main paddock in the infield. Besides the tunnel, the pit entry is extremely awkward and does not allow for proper runoff for the final turn if the hairpin is used.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2120754)   #69
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I made 2 revisions for if you really want to keep the vip-sector in place. The first one is a bit simpler. I've made a small complex instead of the first corner, so the vips can see some braking and corneringaction. I added another grandstand, so the vips can also have a look at the infield. The rest can stay as it is. I used not the version with the esses, but with the longer back-straight becouse I've broken up the front straight, so I needed another long straight.
The second version is a bit more complicated. Again the vip's get a nicer view than they used to, with to overtakingspots right under the nose of the spectator at the second vip-stand. In the infield, the corners witch are the best part of the track are still intact, although a few are run the other way due to the 8-shape.
Attached Thumbnails
christchuch revised.JPG  
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2120781)   #70
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Fish Flake,

you mean an extra runoff area between the gravel traps and the pitlane entrance?

And I still don't see what makes it "extremely funny" in your eyes. I'd be glad to have some further explanation.

bio
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2120784)   #71
bio
Veteran

Hungary
werner,
both look good ideas- I like the first one especially, I don't know why but I'm not really a fan of overpasses - I really don't know why.
The first one looks really promising - my clear aim was to save this track of tricky corners but the new ones your edit brings in the picture are not hard ones and fit the nature of the track just great. Plus it would solve the pitlane exit problem right away. For I still think the inside is not really enough for a proper paddocks area - but I might very well be wrong.

So far that one is a strong contender for the track edit of February award.

bio
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2120795)   #72
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
werner,
both look good ideas- I like the first one especially, I don't know why but I'm not really a fan of overpasses - I really don't know why.
The first one looks really promising - my clear aim was to save this track of tricky corners but the new ones your edit brings in the picture are not hard ones and fit the nature of the track just great. Plus it would solve the pitlane exit problem right away. For I still think the inside is not really enough for a proper paddocks area - but I might very well be wrong.

So far that one is a strong contender for the track edit of February award.

bio
Not a fan of overpasses? That does not hold for pit-exits I suppose The pit entry is funny, because it makes a drive-through penalty a very harsh one. you have to drive all the way around the graveltrap. And that should be a large one, given the straight in front of it.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2120833)   #73
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I do like this circuit as I said previously, however having looked at the circuit for a while, I've decided to butcher, Ahem modify it.

The main point's
The pitlane being relocated
The linking of several corners that weren't previously linked.
A new section of track forming a second infield.
A short circuit using existing track.

I see the circuit as running Clockwise (Sorry Bio, another circuit I've turned around), though it could stay anti-clockwise but wouldn't have as many overtaking chances.
Attached Thumbnails
Christchurch_3edit.jpg  
Old 5 Feb 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2121225)   #74
bio
Veteran

Hungary
SBF,

the only problem I have with this edit is that it leaves the original idea behind almost completely. Not as if it was an idea that would be especially important to stick to
Your circuit is much more of a technical kind. And as such it is just as good as it can be.

If I look at Chrischurch as A circuit I'd say yours is the best edit so far. If I look at it as MY circuit then werner's first edit is my favourite.

Gosh, it's a tough choice for the February award already... And we're hardly into the month...

bio
Old 5 Feb 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2121227)   #75
bio
Veteran

Hungary
werner,

I don't mind it too much if the stop and go or drivethru penalties are harsh - they are penalties after all, right?

bio