Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Nov 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3168283)   #1
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Red Bull sponsorship in Sportscar Racing

I was just searching through the Red Bull website and doing some search for names of their supported athletes and teams and it got me wondering, is there much Red Bull sponsorship in sportscar racing? I havent seen much at all compared to other sports and categories in motorsport itself. All I remember is the Duller BMWs, Red Bull in FIA GT with JMB and JetAlliance and the odd Ferrari and Corvette from Belcar. Are there many personal sponsorships of drivers? I havent seen many of teams apart from the above.

I know of Karl Wendlinger who according to the site is sill supported by Red Bull, a search for Philip Peter who was sponsored in FIA GT by Red Bull yielded nothing so maybe not anymore. As did Dieter Quester-who Im guessing is retired.

The Red Bull athlete and team site is here and you can search for particular people.
http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...01242745950144
Old 19 Nov 2012, 04:56 (Ref:3168291)   #2
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally car and F1 seems to be their pet motorsports projects currently

I would love love love to see the x2011 from Gran Turismo 5 turned into an LMP though. They could even use the same engine as in their f1 car
Old 19 Nov 2012, 06:18 (Ref:3168305)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah it seems a chunk of money is going into those two areas Scooter, maybe because F1 and Rally is seen to be more extreme. Im just surprised that we havent seen much Red Bull money in sportscars because its everywhere else.

Mind you I think its driver linked, when Wendlinger and Peter were at JMB and JetAlliance the Red Bull livery was there but when they left so did the Red Bull money.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3168371)   #4
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’d hardly call F1 extreme – but it does surprise me that there isn’t any RedBull sponsored cars in the WEC. They seem to be quite close to VW Group, so you would think that Audi would be the best choice – unless Audi preferred to run their corporate colours. RedBull and Endurance would seem a perfect fit.

One thing I have noticed is the lack of sponsors for the tracks, races, etc Hopefully, with the growth of the WEC, these will return.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3168399)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They obviously back Buemi so he donned a Red Bull helmet at Le Mans this time in the Toyota. I have to agree with Arnage that it seems a perfect fit with endurance - not least for the folks driving home after the 24. I suppose for them it's more about the extreme element rather than endurance.

Relentless are there with Strakka. Monster are also absent but they seems to be buying against Red Bull sponsorship.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3168451)   #6
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red Bull like to associate themselves with ludicrous speed and danger, and sports that don't make much sense.

I don't think endurance racing is sexy enough to get Red Bull interested.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3168485)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Red Bull like to associate themselves with ludicrous speed and danger, and sports that don't make much sense.

I don't think endurance racing is sexy enough to get Red Bull interested.
And it's clearly not ludicrous enough!
Old 19 Nov 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3168576)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Endurance racing is the opposite of energy drinks, that's why.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3168591)   #9
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember this?

And this?

Old 19 Nov 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3168609)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was this the last time Red Bull appeared at Le Mans?

If not Newey, maybe Sebastien Loeb could be the man to convince them to jump in?
Old 19 Nov 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3168616)   #11
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Endurance racing is the opposite of energy drinks, that's why.
Hmm, maybe it's time to get 5-hour Energy involved!?

DK
Old 19 Nov 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3168620)   #12
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newey has expressed his wish to design a prototype, who knows when and where but I'll be interested
Old 19 Nov 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3168631)   #13
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redbull ran sponsorship in Sportscar racing stateside in the late 90s and early 00s - This shot is from the 2000 Daytona 24.

Old 19 Nov 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3168658)   #14
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I forgot with my first post, iirc Red Bull is taking over the 888 title sponsorship in Aussie V8SC next year too.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3168673)   #15
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd assume that it has nothing to do with "sexy" or "extreme;" Red Bull puts its sponsorship dollars where potential customers put their eyeballs. More people watch a single F1 race than probably watch every ALMS, ELMS, and WEC event (save Le Mans) combined.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3168682)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It used to be banned in France. When did that change?

LM (where they aren't) Not extreme? Racing for 24 hours is an extreme example of the sport. F1 (where they are) not extreme? 6g in braking and fastest lapping circuit cars is taking it to the extreme. Having said that I know what is meant by 'not extreme'.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3168721)   #17
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Not extreme? Racing for 24 hours is an extreme example of the sport. F1 not extreme? 6g in braking and fastest lapping circuit cars is taking it to the extreme. Having said that I know what is meant by 'not extreme'.
I think he meant 'extreme' as in silly. You don't have to explain that base-jumping is extreme. But by the time McNish finishes his lovely lecture about extreme endurance, most of the Red Bull target audience will dose off, wake up to twit about it and dose off again.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 19 Nov 2012 at 20:34. Reason: <--- YAY post number 911. :)
Old 19 Nov 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3168730)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I know what is meant by 'extreme' here.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3168746)   #19
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2008/0...76964720080715
Old 19 Nov 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3168747)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

LM (where they aren't) Not extreme? Racing for 24 hours is an extreme example of the sport. F1 (where they are) not extreme? 6g in braking and fastest lapping circuit cars is taking it to the extreme. Having said that I know what is meant by 'not extreme'.
Seems like the French food safety agency gave in and the ban was lifted after 12 years in July 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...76964720080715

Newey and the 430 rocked up a year earlier at La Sarthe so the ban mustn't have extended to advertising?
Old 20 Nov 2012, 00:54 (Ref:3168847)   #21
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
I’d hardly call F1 extreme – but it does surprise me that there isn’t any RedBull sponsored cars in the WEC. They seem to be quite close to VW Group, so you would think that Audi would be the best choice – unless Audi preferred to run their corporate colours. RedBull and Endurance would seem a perfect fit.
Yes I have noticed the relationship with the VW Group but not really surprised they havent turned up on a current Audi LMP as you said they would prefer to run their corporate colors which understandable as its a Audi funded marketing exercise.

Maybe if we saw a customer R18 (if ever) that might be a possibility or a Red Bull sponsored R8 LMS in GT3 somewhere (Im not sure there hasnt been one in the past, correct me if Im wrong).

Quote:
They obviously back Buemi so he donned a Red Bull helmet at Le Mans this time in the Toyota. I have to agree with Arnage that it seems a perfect fit with endurance - not least for the folks driving home after the 24. I suppose for them it's more about the extreme element rather than endurance.

Relentless are there with Strakka. Monster are also absent but they seems to be buying against Red Bull sponsorship.
Didnt know Buemi was still part of the Red Bull family.

Yeah for a energy drink thats marketed at 'giving you wings' and keeping you going, I think endurance would be a perfect fit which makes the lack of Red Bull within sportscar racing a bit mystifying. Monster have appeared on Rossi's 458 when he raced with Kessel in Blancpain and the car looked fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Anyone remember this?

And this?

Well I didnt

Quote:

If not Newey, maybe Sebastien Loeb could be the man to convince them to jump in?
From memory it appears it was the last time it appeared at Le Mans and possibly the only time? (as a full livery).

Sebastian Loeb raced a Red Bull sponsored McLaren in French GT

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...with-champagne

So maybe we might see it on an LMP2 someday if he continues his sportscar adventure.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3169027)   #22
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Yes I have noticed the relationship with the VW Group but not really surprised they havent turned up on a current Audi LMP as you said they would prefer to run their corporate colors which understandable as its a Audi funded marketing exercise.
Or in other words: nobody has come to them with a large enough bag of money?

I just find it hard to believe that anybody would prefer to run corporate colors only, if there really were big sponsors ready to throw money at them. And not just Audi, but the other two recent manufacturers (maybe not so much Peugeot though, as Total was an actual title sponsor).

Last edited by deggis; 20 Nov 2012 at 12:49.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3169050)   #23
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I know of Karl Wendlinger who according to the site is sill supported by Red Bull, a search for Philip Peter who was sponsored in FIA GT by Red Bull yielded nothing so maybe not anymore.
probably Norberto Fontana gets Red Bull to support home coutry TC2000 series, because he has a Red Bull helmet, and a few years ago was also in the car the same sponsors.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3169053)   #24
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Id imagine if they were to come into endurance racing it would be with Sebastien Loeb. I have to admit ive always wondered why more energy drink manufacturers dont sponsor endurance teams. Maybe they feel the demographic isn't correct for their product.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3169198)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even though we are viewed as the Wine and Espresso demographic, I think the truth is more we are the obscure beer crowd.

(Not that I am anti-espresso.

I got a free bottle of Five-hour Energy Pink Bubblegum at PLM and still haven't used it---good old Colombian coffee kept me going.)

I cannot imagine how many microbreweries would need to buy a few square inches to fully sponsor a WEC entrant. Might have to make the BHF three times as tall.