Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 May 2015, 02:28 (Ref:3536309)   #1
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pirelli World Challenge Rounds 8 & 9: Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park)

Pirelli World Challenge will be heading north to Mosport for this weekend's event. Should be fun to watch the GT class take on this truly classic venue, not to mention the ever-exciting GTS class.

Schedule

Entry List

Live Streaming (www.world-challengetv.com)

Live Streaming (TorqueTV)

Live Timing and Scoring

Track Map

Weather (RacecastWeather Site)

Series Twitter
Old 11 May 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3536402)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I had hoped to attend this event, alas, can't do much about kids soccer schedules. Should be a good event, finally the cars on a really classic road course.
Old 11 May 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3536404)   #3
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do they intend on having standing starts here as well?
Old 11 May 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3536416)   #4
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there. My first pro event as a marshall. Really looking forward to it.

Mike Hedlund. If you see a corner worker wearing a Tilly hat and giving you the hang loose hand signal on the pace lap, that'll be me..
Old 11 May 2015, 14:58 (Ref:3536463)   #5
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I know it's easy to slam the series for staying with standing starts. But after the last race saw another botched standing start, and immediately went to rolling start from yellow...how many people are still dedicated to standing starts? It seems those people might have their head in the sand ignoring what it's doing to the series....in my professional spectator opinion, anyway.
Old 11 May 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3536466)   #6
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I know it's easy to slam the series for staying with standing starts. But after the last race saw another botched standing start, and immediately went to rolling start from yellow...how many people are still dedicated to standing starts? It seems those people might have their head in the sand ignoring what it's doing to the series....in my professional spectator opinion, anyway.
As far as I can tell the only person who wants standing starts is Mr. Bove.

-mike
Old 11 May 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3536467)   #7
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
I'll be there. My first pro event as a marshall. Really looking forward to it.

Mike Hedlund. If you see a corner worker wearing a Tilly hat and giving you the hang loose hand signal on the pace lap, that'll be me..
Good to hear David! If you get a free minute, stop by our trailer and say Hi. I'll show you around the car. See you there!

-mike
Old 11 May 2015, 17:24 (Ref:3536503)   #8
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike, noticed the entry list has you racing in GTA. Have you been reclassified, or is it just an glitch on the list?
Old 11 May 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3536508)   #9
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick 'Em for this weekend: http://nasportscar.com/2014-pwc-pick-em/
Old 11 May 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3536510)   #10
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
As far as I can tell the only person who wants standing starts is Mr. Bove.

-mike
I've gotten mixed feelings from the drivers I've talked to about them. What's surprised me is that a few people have said they don't really have an opinion either way. I personally can go either way with them. Some tracks it works, some it doesn't. The thing I would like to see changed for rolling starts is the acceleration zone, it just seems WAY too close and you see a lot of guys near the back of the pack ram or nearly ram into the back of the car in front of them.
Old 11 May 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3536511)   #11
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Mike, noticed the entry list has you racing in GTA. Have you been reclassified, or is it just an glitch on the list?
I asked to be reclassified when signing up for Mosport.

-mike
Old 11 May 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3536520)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I asked to be reclassified when signing up for Mosport.

-mike
Is that retroactive, and do all your previous points follow you?
Old 11 May 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3536531)   #13
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
What happened to your I'm-though-enough-to-race-with-the-big-boys-attitude?

Is the bar raised too much with guys like Estre, Dalziel, Beretta?
Old 11 May 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3536547)   #14
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
What happened to your I'm-though-enough-to-race-with-the-big-boys-attitude?

Is the bar raised too much with guys like Estre, Dalziel, Beretta?
I didn't realize it, but it was hurting my chances of getting "Am" rides. While trying to get a LM24 and Spa24 seat for this year, almost everyone I talked to in EU thought I was just a shitty Pro after seeing the PWC results. They didn't realize I was actually a real Am.

Also, I'm not a fan of the way they've been classifying drivers this year so I figured, Why should I help them by running in the "Pro" class when there's drivers who're being put into "Am" seats by manufacturers?

At tracks I know (like Sonoma/Laguna) still left in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if I get bumped up anyway... but whatever.

I have no idea about the points and don't really care as I'm not doing all the races anyway.

-mike
Old 11 May 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3536577)   #15
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Good to hear David! If you get a free minute, stop by our trailer and say Hi. I'll show you around the car. See you there!

-mike

I'll make sure to stop by. Probably later Friday afternoon. Cheers!
Old 12 May 2015, 00:07 (Ref:3536595)   #16
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I didn't realize it, but it was hurting my chances of getting "Am" rides. While trying to get a LM24 and Spa24 seat for this year, almost everyone I talked to in EU thought I was just a shitty Pro after seeing the PWC results. They didn't realize I was actually a real Am.

Also, I'm not a fan of the way they've been classifying drivers this year so I figured, Why should I help them by running in the "Pro" class when there's drivers who're being put into "Am" seats by manufacturers?

At tracks I know (like Sonoma/Laguna) still left in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if I get bumped up anyway... but whatever.

I have no idea about the points and don't really care as I'm not doing all the races anyway.

-mike
Thanks for clarifying, interesting reason, would not have thought of that!

Let me ask you a question: would you be interested in running in a IMSA GT3 sprint series (if that organized next year)? Why (not) and if so, what essential things does IMSA need to take care of?
Old 12 May 2015, 07:53 (Ref:3536669)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I'll be there, my first trip to Mosport, from Vancouver. I'll be with the HPA Motorsport team in TC with a Jetta I designed
Old 12 May 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3536725)   #18
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck for this event Mike
Old 12 May 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3536758)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
I'll be there, my first trip to Mosport, from Vancouver. I'll be with the HPA Motorsport team in TC with a Jetta I designed
You are really going to enjoy this trip Andy. Do a track walk if you can, and do get out to see the track from different corners. A very different perspective being there, versus seeing it on TV.
Old 12 May 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3536781)   #20
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
Let me ask you a question: would you be interested in running in a IMSA GT3 sprint series (if that organized next year)? Why (not) and if so, what essential things does IMSA need to take care of?
Yes, very much so. I asked Atherton straight up if they were doing it next year and told him if they weren't, they should. I'm not sure if what he told me was on or off the record so I won't repeat it.

I think if IMSA runs it with the same people as the Tudor series it would be just fine. However, I don't think it'd be that easy as those people are very busy on the normal Tudor weekends so doubling their work load isn't really possible.

Overall, I think if there were more competition to get the GT3 cars/teams each series would do a better job. IMO, that's what we saw this year with IMSA getting the reality check after the **** show that was the start of the 2014 season for them. And I think we're seeing the same thing with PWC because they thought they could do whatever they wanted because nobody had other options.

IMSA is doing a lot of things rite at the moment. I was very impressed with the change in attitude and the complete show that was the Laguna weekend. Hopefully they can keep it up. And hopefully, PWC will address their issues in a similar way before they shoot themselves in both feet.

-mike
Old 13 May 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3536907)   #21
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Looks like the McLaren Toronto sponsorship is now on the KPax/Flying Lizard cars for this weekend:
Quote:
Flying Lizard retweeted
Pfaff Automotive ‏@Pfaff_Auto 2h2 hours ago We've got some serious hardware in the house tonight! @KPAXracing @FlyingLizard_MS
Old 13 May 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3537064)   #22
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm properly stoked for this weekend. All PWC classes, Canadian Touring Car series, Porsche GT3 Cup, Canadain Supercar and the Canadian FF1600 series. The Canadian NASCAR series will be running too, the debris flag will get quite the workout... lol
Old 13 May 2015, 13:13 (Ref:3537075)   #23
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, very much so. I asked Atherton straight up if they were doing it next year and told him if they weren't, they should. I'm not sure if what he told me was on or off the record so I won't repeat it.
"You bet we're doing it!"

Thanks, I'm sure you're not the only competitor that feels that way. Just wish both series would succeed in decreasing their FCY time - IMSA when it comes to the length of their procedures, and PWC overall.
Old 13 May 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3537118)   #24
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"You bet we're doing it!"

Thanks, I'm sure you're not the only competitor that feels that way. Just wish both series would succeed in decreasing their FCY time - IMSA when it comes to the length of their procedures, and PWC overall.
With a one class series the FCY periods should be as quick as it takes them to get the car off the track. IMSA can do that quickly. Whoever PWC hires can't at all.
Old 13 May 2015, 15:58 (Ref:3537139)   #25
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
With all due respect, guys, I doubt everything would be daisies and buttercups in an IMSA run GT3 series either.

Though this year may be improved from the atrocious 2014 season, there have already been issues in IMSA series.

-Unusual drive time rule enforcement from Daytona. Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence for officiating consistency.

-Pit Stop debate. IMSA has basically ignored a call from many teams to better the safety in their pit stops by simply utilizing Le Mans style rules.

-Finally, whatever the case with the cautions (Always understood it was the tracks who hired the towing companies?), unlike PWC, IMSA still has no traveling safety team, despite widespread support among teams.

I don't mean to pick on IMSA, I just think folks should probably remember that an IMSA GT3 series may not be an improvement.

At any rate, I suppose this is a debate for a different thread.