Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Sep 2007, 23:42 (Ref:2016322)   #1
Kixx
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
Kixx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cromley's new toy

Interesting to see one of Channel 7's promised new innovations, the Harrop CAD drawings that Cromley used as his new techno toy. A very interesting addition I thought, quite good for me as a student engineer.

Which is why I was wondering if anyone on here happened to digitally record the coverage from the weekend? I know at one stage they bought up the drawings of an upright, which I am very very keen to get hold of, as I am involved in designing an upright as part of a current project.

So if anyone out there has the vision of the CAD drawings that would be GREATLY appreciated. Or even if anyone has any other interesting pics or info on supercar uprights that would be fantastic.

Thanks guys
Old 18 Sep 2007, 00:02 (Ref:2016326)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might pay to get yourself a copy of the Insider Technical Guide they put out late last year. Lots of photo's and info on parts and pieces that go into them.

Try a Technical Bookshop or someone like Pit Stop books over in WA for copy. Or if your at the track some of teams involved in the book might have them for sale in there merchandise area.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 01:44 (Ref:2016368)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kixx
Interesting to see one of Channel 7's promised new innovations, the Harrop CAD drawings that Cromley used as his new techno toy. A very interesting addition I thought, quite good for me as a student engineer.
The first time it was interesting. However once it became clear they deal was it had to be showed atleast 6 times or more I found it extremely annoying.

Talk about CAD drawings or .0000004566006 fuel burn, hmmmm geez Crompton can be exciting
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:42 (Ref:2016381)   #4
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice idea but I thought it was better with Cromley holding the real bits in the "tech centre"...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:14 (Ref:2016390)   #5
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs Peregrine, although not a passionate fan but a fan none the less, was quite impressed, and mentioned that it really helped her understand exactly what the commentators were on about, so a big thumbs up 7 !
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:40 (Ref:2016396)   #6
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just ring Harrops and ask them to email you the CAD drawings.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 04:26 (Ref:2016409)   #7
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps a little overused.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 04:43 (Ref:2016415)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I hope they don't pull it out too much for Bathurst...it was just boring to watch when there was stuff on the track going on shown in a tiny little screen to the side I'd rather be watching.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:43 (Ref:2016627)   #9
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
Yeah, I hope they don't pull it out too much for Bathurst...it was just boring to watch when there was stuff on the track going on shown in a tiny little screen to the side I'd rather be watching.
Maybe for Bathurst, they should show the tech bits while the pace car is out
Or is that too logical?
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:50 (Ref:2016634)   #10
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe, just for Bathurst, they should show what the viewer would tune in for.....(so I need to use more sarcasm?)
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2016638)   #11
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hate to sound negative, but, if you have seen any of the Nextel Cup coverage this year, you can see where all of these ideas are coming from, the tech centre, complete with plasma screen, showing the CAD images and what happens, hell, one of the broadcasters even shows the grid in sevens style, ie: in a tunnel.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2016641)   #12
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good inovation... in my humble opinion.

PS What ever happened to the overlayed images showing relative strengths and weakness of cars at corresponding points on the race track? Can't remember the name of the technology? I remember Lowndes' green eye'd monster was great at power down but lacked the mid corner speed of the HRTs. It was amazing photography.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2016763)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the system as it could be shown when the problem was occuring not just before or after the race like the 'tech centre' was mostly, but i think it was abit over used, but all on all it was good credit to Ch 7 (something i havn't given them much of this year).

i guess we know the components and their working of how Harrop have them in the Tasman cars .
Old 18 Sep 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2016848)   #14
DarthFalcon
Racer

Australia
Yavin
DarthFalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why they feel the need to explain the bleedin' obvious, now with CAD drawings, is beyond me.

Maybe they saw this Onion video and didn't realise it was satire; http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...eveals_winning Classic!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2016883)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Sounds abit like Campbell counciling Lowndesy on the radio .
Old 18 Sep 2007, 23:35 (Ref:2017499)   #16
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would have been a hell of a lot more worth while if the CAD stuff showed what happened when something broke. i.e When Jnr had the brake problem, don't show us what the pistons look like, show us how/why it was happening.

P.S The Fuso grid graphics are shocking....
Old 18 Sep 2007, 23:47 (Ref:2017503)   #17
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shows people with no technical knowlege how things work.
Unfortunately shows people with technical knowlege how dumb the cars are!
Live axles and Watts linkages, 1930 technology.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 04:24 (Ref:2017577)   #18
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3D Modelling is a big part of what I do Monday to Friday, and found it interesting initially.

After the first 2 visuals though, I would have hit the delete button if there was one.

They used it too much. Put it in the small window top left so the race is what is dominating the screen - after all thats what we tuned it to see.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 05:10 (Ref:2017586)   #19
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X05
Maybe for Bathurst, they should show the tech bits while the pace car is out
Or is that too logical?
Actually that is a pretty good idea, but during these times we normally get interviews with whinging drivers and team owners which sometimes produce gold especially if "our mate out the back" is involved.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 06:50 (Ref:2017609)   #20
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
Yes but I'm sure there's a lot of technology behind the '1930's tech' as you put it.

Btw, DOHC was around before then but some of 'us' like to refer to it as high tech even though it predates pushrod technology.

Bit of a VHS-Beta argument.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2017832)   #21
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
Right with you there old fella

The cars are prehistoric, and woefully slow for the power they develop..(Mainly due to the abysmal tyres and ye olde suspension)

Gees... a Ferrari 360GT has over 200BHP LESS than V8 "super" cars.... and can pretty much match them for lap time at most tracks...(even when ballasted up to similar weights)

REAL race cars have more camshafts than doors....

The CAD stuff was ok I thought. Well presented and useful for the "interested but uninformed" among us... but nothing REALLY good there
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:44 (Ref:2017837)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
nothing that was unknown to me but it is good #7 are trying to inform the casual viewer of how these things work.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2017863)   #23
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience
REAL race cars have more camshafts than doors....
I always thought "REAL" race cars had no doors!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2017874)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
nothing that was unknown to me but it is good #7 are trying to inform the casual viewer of how these things work.
Pretty sure 7 had nothing to do with it.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2017912)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
I always thought "REAL" race cars had no doors!
Very good