Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4046498)   #2676
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Miami is on next year's calendar.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mi...endar/6327360/
Old 19 Apr 2021, 04:12 (Ref:4046654)   #2677
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Australia has botched the vaccine roll out and so the quarantine will still be in place late this year. Also there is a federal election due around then or shortly after
They cant allow f1 to not quarantine when the general public cant travel
Its the optics
And especially after international sports men and women from other sports, such a cricket and tennis have accepted the two week quarantine.

F1 isn't going to get a free pass on this one to enter Australia.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4046691)   #2678
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I find it hard to get too excited about F1's 101st attempt to conquer America. The paddock sounded excited from the interviews shown on channel 4 though.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4046693)   #2679
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I find it hard to get too excited about F1's 101st attempt to conquer America. The paddock sounded excited from the interviews shown on channel 4 though.
Agreed - another street circuit - I'm not a great fan of street circuits - is there a street circuit anywhere that has what could be described as "a great corner"? Not a famous corner (Monaco has plenty of those) but a great one (Monaco has none of those). Street circuits are all a bit "samey" in character and aren't a patch on a proper circuit.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4046695)   #2680
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Agreed - another street circuit - I'm not a great fan of street circuits - is there a street circuit anywhere that has what could be described as "a great corner"? Not a famous corner (Monaco has plenty of those) but a great one (Monaco has none of those). Street circuits are all a bit "samey" in character and aren't a patch on a proper circuit.
I guess the closest would be the final chicane / wall of champions at Gilles Villeneuve?
Old 19 Apr 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4046696)   #2681
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do wonder how much we need another American street circuit. We’ll see what happens. There are some great street circuits already out there. Monaco, Pau, Long Beach and Macau to name but 4. They have plenty of good corners, with them being close to the wall adding to the challenge. And I can see why some aren’t keen on street circuits, but if every circuit was purpose built, it wouldn’t be the same. We need street circuits for a bit of variety, after all there are plenty of purpose built circuits that are worse
Old 19 Apr 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4046704)   #2682
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Adelaide turn 8. Flat out entry, slight lift, flat out exit. Get it wrong and there's a concrete barrier to hit at close to vMax.

Shame they're not racing Supercars there any more though
Old 19 Apr 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4046710)   #2683
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More thought has to be given to how the car design has made street courses with their narrower roads and more confined spaces not suitable for the modern F1 car.

Saudi will be an interesting test of what a modern street circuit could be with some very fast looking corners, where as Miami doesnt look the least bit interesting imo.

Its there for the tourists which is fine of course but popualrity or going to desriable tourist places comes with its own set of drawbacks.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4046720)   #2684
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watching this weekend's race - I did wonder if there is merit in making the cars smaller.

Not only for street courses, but in general. If the cars are smaller (relative to the track) would it open up more variety in both potential overtaking spots and alternative lines, as well as permitting more 2/3 abreast potential?

A lot is made of the length of current F1 cars, but has the width gone too far?

Old 19 Apr 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4046722)   #2685
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Probably excited by the thought of going to Miami.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 15:10 (Ref:4046726)   #2686
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let’s see if it actually happens, still a long way to go
Old 19 Apr 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4046746)   #2687
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let’s see if it actually happens, still a long way to go
I talked to my son yesterday about trying to go to either the Canadian GP or US GP (Austin) next year. He said... Did you see the news about Miami? I said... lets see if it is real or not.

Richard
Old 19 Apr 2021, 19:44 (Ref:4046785)   #2688
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Watching this weekend's race - I did wonder if there is merit in making the cars smaller.

Not only for street courses, but in general. If the cars are smaller (relative to the track) would it open up more variety in both potential overtaking spots and alternative lines, as well as permitting more 2/3 abreast potential?

probably a solid argument to be made at reducing their size for benefit at all circuits but certainly i feel like the problem is more pronounced at street circuits at the moment. as the mid field has tightened up, 2 or even 4 wide i feel like has been more of a common occurrence at purpose built tracks.

but i agree with having similar feelings while watching yesterday. Imola, because of the narrowness, definitely had some of that 'too small for modern F1' feel to it...but if it was dry i feel like Russell would have been able to pull of his move???

anyways, i should add that im not against street races all together and do like the variety some of them bring but it just feels like FOM is pushing them as cheaper more accessible option and that comes at the cost of quality races.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4046796)   #2689
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Its not particularly easy to find the regulatory history of the maximum width of F1 cars. Especially as it seems to me, that the regulations from the 1950's-1980's are virtually non-existent online. I find references that says the 1966 Eagle Mk1 was 1880mm wide (much narrower than today) and the 1975 Ferrari 312T was 2030mm wide (much wider than today and I think that might be a 312T in the image in your post). Sometime before 1998 the limit was reduced at 2000mm because in 1998, it dropped from 2000mm to 1800mm. I believe this was done to "improve passing" by making the cars a bit less wide. Then in 2017 we revered back to the 2000mm width. I frankly think the 1998 reduction was a failure (or at least it didn't seem to make a difference).

I think on a really really narrow track, that narrow cars may help, but the problem is not the car or track width. I think the problem is the width of the clean racing line which will always mirror the size of the car (wide or narrow). Off line you have a combination of lack of rubbered surface, rolled up rubber marbles or in wet/dry conditions like this past weekend, a high grip dry line that is the width of the car and low grip damp surface that is less than ideal when you are trying races side by side. Lewis having an off when going off line to pass Russell is a perfect example. The grip just wasn't there off line. And the line was the width of the cars.

Seeing multiple cars running side by wide is a function of size of the available racing line. You see it frequently enough on long straights in which grip levels is less of an issue. On the curves however there very much is an ideal line that is likely to produce the best result for whoever is in it and those who are not will struggle. Also, this ideal line will "track out" from the apex to the outside end of the track (or beyond given the proclivity for drivers to find extra speed by pushing/exceeding track limits). If you expect cars to be side by side, where exactly will these cars be when the lead car is occupying the racing line which spans the circuit from inside to outside edge? Short of regulations that say you must give a cars width, (and that doesn't apply everywhere I think) there are only a few places on tracks you can realistically run multiple cars wide regardless of the car width. I think this weekend and the clarity of the narrow dry line and off line damp part of the track really illustrates my point. With Lewis' sliding off is again, the perfect example.

(note... this topic more for the "how to fix F1" thread. )

Richard
Old 19 Apr 2021, 21:05 (Ref:4046803)   #2690
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think on a really really narrow track, that narrow cars may help, but the problem is not the car or track width. I think the problem is the width of the clean racing line which will always mirror the size of the car (wide or narrow). Off line you have a combination of lack of rubbered surface, rolled up rubber marbles or in wet/dry conditions like this past weekend, a high grip dry line that is the width of the car and low grip damp surface that is less than ideal when you are trying races side by side. Lewis having an off when going off line to pass Russell is a perfect example. The grip just wasn't there off line. And the line was the width of the cars.
and thats a problem with street races...the barriers tend to deflect the marbles back onto the track making the track that much dirtier.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 22:27 (Ref:4046813)   #2691
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes a lot are just 90 degree corners.

In defense of Monaco through Casino is pretty epic. No room, obviously, and extreme camber making it super tricky. Tabac ain’t for the faint hearted either.
Old 20 Apr 2021, 04:16 (Ref:4046830)   #2692
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
and thats a problem with street races...the barriers tend to deflect the marbles back onto the track making the track that much dirtier.
I like barriers (and grass and gravel), they provide consequences.

Not the glorified parking lots everywhere else.
Old 20 Apr 2021, 19:18 (Ref:4046943)   #2693
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Hard Rock Stadium is 8 miles / 13 km west of the coast.
Old 20 Apr 2021, 19:40 (Ref:4046949)   #2694
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I like barriers (and grass and gravel), they provide consequences.

Not the glorified parking lots everywhere else.
i dont completely disagree, particular about the gravel and grass, as i do think there should be consequences for mistakes.

i dont want to be the safety card guy here and i feel like i am about to though but should the consequences of a mistake be anything more then a loss of track position and time? surely it shouldn't be the risk of physical injury.

but again im not coming from a place of saying get rid of anything dangerous, i just think that F1 has outgrown some of these tracks and some of these new proposed street venues offer more in terms of tourist amenities then they do in actual race potential.

Saudi, which looks like it will be high speed with lots of barriers, may or may not work but imo there should be greater concern that FOM is ignoring the danger just for a payday.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 01:10 (Ref:4046990)   #2695
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew we had looked at miami previously in this thread....

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2162

Looks to be almost the same layout, with section around the on-off ramps that I highlighted having a slight change but still it looks very awkward .

I wasn't far off with the 3.5 mile (5.6km) suggestion. the Autosport article quotes 5.41 km which is 3.38 miles
Old 24 Apr 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4047677)   #2696
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Japanese Grand Prix to remain at Suzuka until 2024

'Formula 1 has announced the Japanese Grand Prix will remain at Suzuka until the end of the 2024 season.

The figure-of-eight track first staged an F1 race in 1987 and has decided the drivers' championship on 11 occasions.

F1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali said the three-year extension shows a "long-term commitment to growing the sport in Asia".

This year's race is due to be held on 10 October after the 2020 grand prix was cancelled because of Covid-19.'
Old 24 Apr 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4047689)   #2697
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
hope it can happen this year and October is still a long way off...
Old 30 Apr 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4048645)   #2698
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched Indy car from St Pete. Why don't F1 go there?
Old 30 Apr 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4048695)   #2699
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Just watched Indy car from St Pete. Why don't F1 go there?

Because it’s never been considered. It’s that simple
Old 30 Apr 2021, 14:17 (Ref:4048704)   #2700
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Because it’s never been considered. It’s that simple
Saint Petersburg F1 race “is going to be mega” – Kvyat

The Igora Drive circuit near Saint Petersburg has been tipped to take over from Sochi Autodrom as the home of the Russian Grand Prix.

FIA licenses Igora Drive racing track near St. Petersburg to host F1 Grands Prix
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) has issued a license for the Igora Drive circuit outside the country’s second largest city of St. Petersburg, acknowledging the track as suitable for hosting Formula One races, the press service of Igora Drive said in a statement on Wednesday.