Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3902800)   #2076
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I guess I can be even more glad that the WEC is returning to Interlagos. Sorry, but I think I already know which track I'm going to prefer seeing racing at.

As to comments about the size of the F1 calendar, the first time there were 12 Grands Prix in the championship was 1968. The first time there were 17, which required special dispensation for some time, was 1977.

The schedule has been substantial for quite a while, even more so if non-championship races, or the British F1 series are included. That said, my personal sense is that a nice round 20 is perhaps a good maximum.

Even within Europe, the countries we think of as fixtures now haven't always been, so this moving around, going from Spain to the Netherlands for instance, doesn't seem totally outlandish. I mean, Spain and Hungary weren't regulars until 1986, and one of the main staples outside Europe, Japan, wasn't on every year until 1987. Also Austria, like the US, has come and gone multiple times.

Right now, I just hope Hanoi doesn't turn out too much like Valencia in terms of the actual racing.
Spain was a regular fixture, from 1967 - 1981, though '67 and '80 were non-championship races.

Back then the FIA required a demonstration race, before Grand Prix status could be awarded, as with 1967 race. 1980 was declared illegal by FISA, the then governing body, as Alfa-Romeo, Ferrari and Renault didn't compete. This was during the FISA-FOCA war. The race returned in 1986.
Old 10 May 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3903066)   #2077
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I'm aware of that stint, though it seems like it was a rather more tenuous run than its 1986-2019 stint, for a variety of reasons.

There's the whole alternation thing between Jarama and Montjuich. And while the former was a bit on the small side for F1, not to mention the fiery Ickx/Oliver crash in 1970, the latter had regular safety concerns, including the Stommelen crash that ended F1's run there, as well as the double, identical failures for Graham Hill and Jochen Rindt in 1969.
Old 14 May 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3903685)   #2078
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dutch GP confirmed at Zandvoort for three years starting in 2020.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143385

I am looking forward to some Honey Badger dives into Tarzan next year.
Old 14 May 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3903687)   #2079
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Dutch GP confirmed at Zandvoort for three years starting in 2020.<br />
<br />
<a href="https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143385" target="_blank">https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143385</a><br />
<br />
<br />

There is talk of banking the last corner to allow people to close up on the car in front. Virtually extending the straights.

Personally I reckon it would be wise to await the impact of the 2021 regulations first.
Old 14 May 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3903723)   #2080
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Bye bye Zandvoort. You were a great race track.
Old 14 May 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3903726)   #2081
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, the changes mentioned in the top post here don't sound nearly as awful as what I was fearing might be in store. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see to know for sure.
https://www.facebook.com/RacingCircuits.info

The funny thing is, they're kind of painted into a corner, where they know making anything slower, or adding corners, is just going to be expressly unhelpful.
Old 14 May 2019, 14:55 (Ref:3903727)   #2082
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to admit that I thought that in recent years Zandvoort had environmental issues, both noise as the town encroached and also from dune erosion/planning not allowing development as it would effect the area in general.

Add to that the Pits aren't exactly huge, even allowing for the split infield paddock and some space outside the circuit.
Old 14 May 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3903779)   #2083
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit building will get a makeover, with new boxes and extension at the back. As for paddock space, think of it like Monaco or a flyaway race, so the big hospitality units will stay at home.
Old 15 May 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3903954)   #2084
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a shame it's replacing Spain, rather than somewhere like Bahrain, Baku or Abu Dhabi. And to be fair the circuit ain't the same from when it was in 85, so tweaking it won't really make a difference. Especially if they bank the last corner as they are proposing
Old 15 May 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3904021)   #2085
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Catalunya was never the best circuit in my estimation, but it was alright, However, the layouts used by F1 since 2003 have been getting steadily worse, so I'll honestly take Zandvoort, even if it isn't the old course. I like the tack Dromo is taking with their circuit upgrades for the Dutch GP.

(Italian concern Dromo overseeing the changes at Zandvoort):
http://www.studiodromo.it/

And while I'd prefer there be a Spanish GP to Bahrain or the UAE, certainly, the support doesn't seem to be there right now, and I'd take Jarama over the layout at Catalunya they've been using.

And no, Azerbaijan isn't a historic hotbed of motor racing, but Baku has seemed to add some real spice to the calendar, which is more than can be said for just about any new venue on the schedule since the addition of Singapore in 2008.
Old 15 May 2019, 22:10 (Ref:3904042)   #2086
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Dutch GP confirmed at Zandvoort for three years starting in 2020.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/143385

Another boring race...
Old 18 May 2019, 01:34 (Ref:3904435)   #2087
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
We'll see. On the bright side, Tarzan and Hugenholtz being banked provides multiple viable lines through the opening sequence of corners; the guys don't have to immediately get single-file.

Anyway, now I'm seeing in Autoweek and RACER online updates that F1 may be looking at a race in Marrakech to put Africa back in the World Championship.
Old 18 May 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3904472)   #2088
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully if they do go to Marrakech they won't use that awful layout WTCR used last month. It was dull and hardly any passing

Mind you now Kyalami has been updated it might be an idea to go there
Old 18 May 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3904493)   #2089
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hopefully if they do go to Marrakech they won't use that awful layout WTCR used last month. It was dull and hardly any passing

Dull and hardly any passing sounds just about perfect for F1
Old 18 May 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3904507)   #2090
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

I think mixing the new Marrakech layout with parts of the older, flat out blast circuit might work. It would follow the obsession with making things Baku-like and probably be something that could be turned around quite quickly.

I reckon use the pitlane and first few corners, then turn right rather than left at the Zalagh Kasbah hotel and follow the road up the old circuit to the Mogador Kasbah; then come down the back stretch (punctuate with a bus-stop chicane if needed) then join back up with the current circuit.

It wouldn’t be amazing but it would probably do the job. Might make for an interesting compromise of high and low downforce sections.

A return to Kyalami would be great too, but from what I remember that circuit in its current form isn’t great for racing either
Old 19 May 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3904687)   #2091
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Dull and hardly any passing sounds just about perfect for F1
That's why they visit Zandvoort.
Old 21 May 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3905116)   #2092
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rio layout revealed:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...f1-before-2021

Instead of fast, sweeping corners, wonderful elevation changes and a whole bunch of character we'll get what looks like another soulless asphalt "paradise".

Oh joy.
Old 21 May 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3905122)   #2093
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's an unfolded paper clip, should be fun (for carts) and a blast to watch.

Old 21 May 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3905139)   #2094
S griffin
Veteran

Would have been so much easier and better if they had just copied the old Rio layout
Old 22 May 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3905210)   #2095
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Rio layout revealed:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...f1-before-2021

Instead of fast, sweeping corners, wonderful elevation changes and a whole bunch of character we'll get what looks like another soulless asphalt "paradise".

Oh joy.
only looks about 2 miles long?!

Or maybe the main straight is another one like Baku!!!
Old 22 May 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3905211)   #2096
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Good thing it's never going to happen anyway!
Old 22 May 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3905212)   #2097
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
only looks about 2 miles long?!

Or maybe the main straight is another one like Baku!!!
if you scale it on a 1km straight you'd be looking at just over 4km ... so just over 2.5 miles. it might get close to 3 miles depending on the corner radii
Old 21 Jul 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3918746)   #2098
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sporting Director of the Dutch GP, Jan Lammers, has revealed that they received more than a million requests for tickets during the registration period. On Tuesday those who have applied will hear whether they have been selected.

Interesting to add is that those who have been selected will have to confirm tickets (and pay) without there even being confirmation of a date yet. One thing is sure, if they all pay in time there's no funding issue for the Grand Prix in 2020.

According to Lammers they could have sold out the Sunday six times. Maximum capacity is 105,000 spectators per day.
Old 21 Jul 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3918749)   #2099
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
The Sporting Director of the Dutch GP, Jan Lammers, has revealed that they received more than a million requests for tickets during the registration period. On Tuesday those who have applied will hear whether they have been selected.

Interesting to add is that those who have been selected will have to confirm tickets (and pay) without there even being confirmation of a date yet. One thing is sure, if they all pay in time there's no funding issue for the Grand Prix in 2020.

According to Lammers they could have sold out the Sunday six times. Maximum capacity is 105,000 spectators per day.
I wonder how many requests they have received, for tickets to the Vietnamese GP?
Old 22 Jul 2019, 02:21 (Ref:3918776)   #2100
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wonder how many requests they have received, for tickets to the Vietnamese GP?
7, and that's from vendors wanting to sell lunch