Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3952303)   #2251
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I stand by what I said. Anyway moving on, let’s see if Saudi can do better than Bahrain and UAE in terms of building a great race track and getting a good attendance
Old 19 Jan 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3952304)   #2252
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One major difficulty attendance is that the Islamic working week is Saturday to Thursday. That leaves only Friday free for attendees. And that is prayer day.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 19:57 (Ref:3952333)   #2253
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm pretty sure that Liberty wouldn't mind a Saturday race.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 21:06 (Ref:3952348)   #2254
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Last Saturday race was South Africa in 1985. Now MotoGP don’t even run the Dutch TT on a Saturday anymore.
Old 19 Jan 2020, 23:41 (Ref:3952373)   #2255
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s all controlled now, so it’s always a Sunday race
Old 20 Jan 2020, 00:38 (Ref:3952385)   #2256
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it’s all controlled now, so it’s always a Sunday race
If there was a good enough reason, religion/different sabbath, and the was a $$$$ufficient smoothing process for it.

Anything. can happen.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 20 Jan 2020 at 01:06.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 12:52 (Ref:3952439)   #2257
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My point was more that Bahrain and Abu Dhabi suffer from poor crowds because of this circumstance.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 23:43 (Ref:3952503)   #2258
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
My point was more that Bahrain and Abu Dhabi suffer from poor crowds because of this circumstance.
Indeed....

We may not like many more races in the region, more say than in Europe or even the States but there has to be proper planning to take into account local traditions and culture. Otherwise no-one will show up and that would defeat the object.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 03:50 (Ref:3952522)   #2259
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I would have thought that poor track attendance is due to motorsport just not being part of their culture. Not wanting to be xenophobic, but motorsport is culturally and historically European/Western. This is where the automobile industry started.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 06:34 (Ref:3952528)   #2260
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I thought TV was the great draw anyway? A remote venue, no F1 culture, held on a day when locals can't attend - sounds like an F1 dream. These darned spectators get in the way. Why don't they just watch it on TV?

I'm sure neither Liberty nor the teams would lose any sleep about the lack of spectators. 100,000 people at Silverstone? A drop in the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3952556)   #2261
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would have thought that poor track attendance is due to motorsport just not being part of their culture. Not wanting to be xenophobic, but motorsport is culturally and historically European/Western.

BJ, I suggest that you don't try telling the Japanese that. There they have some of the most fervent followers of all forms of motorsport in the world.

For example, immediately after the end of the GP in Silverstone, the entire place becomes like a ghost town, apart from the relatively few who stay to go to the entertainment stage. However, in Suzuka, after the end of the race, thousands continue to sit overlooking the track to watch re-runs of the F1 race on the giant screens dotted around the circuit which continues into the night.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 13:51 (Ref:3952584)   #2262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
BJ, I suggest that you don't try telling the Japanese that. There they have some of the most fervent followers of all forms of motorsport in the world.

For example, immediately after the end of the GP in Silverstone, the entire place becomes like a ghost town, apart from the relatively few who stay to go to the entertainment stage. However, in Suzuka, after the end of the race, thousands continue to sit overlooking the track to watch re-runs of the F1 race on the giant screens dotted around the circuit which continues into the night.
My comment was in reference to the possibility of yet another GP in the Middle-East and low crowd attendance. I'm well aware of how popular motorsport is in Japan.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3952599)   #2263
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would add the cost of tickets (last time i looked, Abu Dhabi main grandstand is close to twice the price of a comparable seat in Montreal) paired with income inequality within the region. they draw upon a smaller group with the required disposable income, desire, and/or ability to attend.

so i think it has to be said that the promoters are not looking to host an event that draws in over 100K+ people on race day. imo, they are looking to create an exclusive event/experience with a much smaller, and all be it wealthier, crowd by design.

i dont have numbers, and in fairness, but how different are the attendance levels of Abu Dhabi compared to, F1's traditional mecca of exclusive events, the Monaco GP?
Old 21 Jan 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3952607)   #2264
S griffin
Veteran

I’m sure there are plenty of fans who would rather go to Monaco once than Abu Dhabi five times. So I would suggest Monaco attendance would be somewhat higher
Old 21 Jan 2020, 16:25 (Ref:3952609)   #2265
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Every time I've watched the Abu Dhabi GP, the crowd predominantly seems to be made up of European ex-pats, with a few celebrities thrown in, for good measure.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3952613)   #2266
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monaco GP attendance figures are usually circa. 37k
Bahrain usually circa. 33k
Abu Dhabi sells out at 60k, and is the most expensive ticket on the calendar.
Old 21 Jan 2020, 19:47 (Ref:3952647)   #2267
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That is the actual capacity of the grandstands etc.
I have read that the actual weekend unofficial spectator figures, which include those watching from balconies, yachts and various buildings, puts the total number closer to 200,000.

Not bad for a country with a normal population of c.30,000, and smaller than New York City’s Central Park!
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3952950)   #2268
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A revised map of the proposed Miami circuit has been published.

It no longer uses any public streets.

There appears to be significant opposition to the GP in the local area, although I suspect noise level will be no worse than your average rock concert and crowd levels probably not much different to well attended match at the stadium.
The stadium apparently currently has zoning for auto racing.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...d-public-roads
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3952959)   #2269
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"no racing during school hours"!!!

i typically hate the NIMBY stuff but if i am being honest i would probably raise a stink about the extra traffic.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3953099)   #2270
S griffin
Veteran

It’s good they’ve managed to find a good space in the city that doesn’t impact the traffic. We’ll see if it happens. Even if F1 doesn’t go there, wouldn’t mind an American series going there. Would be good to have a Miami GP sportscar race again
Old 27 Jan 2020, 22:52 (Ref:3954117)   #2271
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Bahrain usually circa. 33k
Abu Dhabi sells out at 60k, and is the most expensive ticket on the calendar.
Where do you get the figure that Abu Dhabi is the most expensive?

I've been to both Abu Dhabi and Monaco. (as well as Japan and Canada)

Monaco I paid $900AUD for race day alone. Around $350 for qualy.

Abu Dhabi was around $650AUD for the weekend, comparable to Japan and Canada in pricing if not a tad more expensive.

Those figures above are for a three-day grandstand pass.
Old 28 Jan 2020, 06:00 (Ref:3954142)   #2272
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prices for 2020 remain largely unchanged from last year and are expected to still be the most expensive on the current F1 calendar.

https://f1destinations.com/tickets-a...f1-grand-prix/
Old 28 Jan 2020, 21:36 (Ref:3954290)   #2273
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Prices for 2020 remain largely unchanged from last year and are expected to still be the most expensive on the current F1 calendar.

https://f1destinations.com/tickets-a...f1-grand-prix/

The writer of this article probably should have done his research then.
Abu Dhabi is on the higher end, but a simple search shows that by measurement of Main Grandstand weekend tickets:

Monaco has it covered https://www.monaco-grand-prix.com/en/2542-monaco-f1/

Baku is almost identical https://www.gootickets.com/en/7-form...01-azerbaijan/

And that was only a very quick ticket search.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 00:31 (Ref:3954314)   #2274
S griffin
Veteran

I can see why people think Abu Dhabi is the most expensive. It’s in a rich part of the world. But how much do other grandstands cost?

Certainly Monaco is expensive, but then you get better value for money. Certainly it’s better than Baku. Just remember there’s always someone willing to pay that money if they want to and have it
Old 29 Jan 2020, 00:50 (Ref:3954316)   #2275
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can see why people think Abu Dhabi is the most expensive. It’s in a rich part of the world. But how much do other grandstands cost?

Certainly Monaco is expensive, but then you get better value for money. Certainly it’s better than Baku. Just remember there’s always someone willing to pay that money if they want to and have it
That was the most expensive ticket for Abu Dhabi. Other grandstands you can get for around $550-700AUD (330-450EU).

I sat in the Grandstand at the hairpin exit just prior to the DRS zone, that's currently 360 Euro for the weekend. It's definitely in a rich part of the world, but I found the whole weekend pretty affordable in comparison to other GP weekends.

Monaco definitely worth it if you have the funding.