Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3999493)   #2426
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let teams choose whatever tyre that suits them, rather than telling them, then you will see better racing.

And while I understand why people are against a tyre war, for me that could really see things mixed up from time to time.
Do you mean free choice of compound?
That leads to everyone running the same strategy usually.

Or free choice of supplier?
That leads to:
Old 1 Sep 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3999494)   #2427
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Let teams choose whatever tyre that suits them, rather than telling them, then you will see better racing...
and within a few races, teams will ultimately still settle to use the same compounds at the same time...recently a very excellent point was made to that effect leading so no point rehashing it.

all good though and agree to disagree.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3999508)   #2428
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That leads to:
<SNIP>
That debacle was not because of the tyre war, but rather a failure to communicate and compromise by all involved.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 19:09 (Ref:3999509)   #2429
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Do you mean free choice of compound?
That leads to everyone running the same strategy usually.

That leads to:
Well, what leads to that situation is where one manufacturer (Firestone) has had specific testing on a surface no other manufacturer has been allowed to test on, and uses that knowledge to pass on to its sister brands (Bridgestone) who could prepare for the surface. Meanwhile, Goodyear and Michelin had identical issues with their tyres, in completely different series with different cars.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3999512)   #2430
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well, what leads to that situation is where one manufacturer (Firestone) has had specific testing on a surface no other manufacturer has been allowed to test on, and uses that knowledge to pass on to its sister brands (Bridgestone) who could prepare for the surface. Meanwhile, Goodyear and Michelin had identical issues with their tyres, in completely different series with different cars.
And history can always repeat itself....
Old 2 Sep 2020, 00:04 (Ref:3999534)   #2431
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That’s a rare example of something going wrong. And could happen with a single supplier (although less likely). It falls into those odd things that happen from time to time. You might as well say, well the problem with having spectators is that you could have 1970 Mexico again, or the problem with having guard rails is that you could have 1975 Spain again, or maybe we shouldn’t ever resurface because we could have Belgium 1985.

History could repeat itself. The only argument I can see in your logic is a let’s not bother with this whole motorsport thing then. You might be on to something.

Or is it just arguing for arguing sake?
Old 2 Sep 2020, 05:12 (Ref:3999546)   #2432
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The US GP is an extreme example, and highly unlikely to happen in that way.
What I mean is - (and it is as a discussion point and opinion being put forward, is that not one of the ideas behind having a chat forum?) - that when you have competition over a component that is supplied, there will almost inevitably reach a point where the product from one supplier has a significant advantage over the rest.

If that is a reliability advantage, we see teams suffer through failures that are not attributed to the team and outside of their control (some may see that as a good thing).
If that advantage is a performance one though, it leads to even more predictable outcomes and diminishes the appeal of the sport.

Do we really want F1 results to be known in advance of an event based on what tyres are fitted to the car?

We already have a strong suspicion that certain teams will struggle due to poor engine performance - that would surely be worse if those teams had the wrong tyre supplier?

Apologies if it upsets you for me to put forward an opinion, present an example of where it caused an issue for the sport, and followed up with more justification for my opinion. When does putting forward an opinion because you want to express it in a forum become arguing for the sake of it? Is that an arbitrary decision you make because of who posted?
Old 2 Sep 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3999552)   #2433
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let’s step back from this drama. Frankly I am uninterested in discussing this on this basis, especially if we are having to resort to what is the point of a forum. Upset, no. Frustrated at the tedious nature of this, yes.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3999575)   #2434
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Turkey is looking to have 100,000 spectators. Ironic considering how few spectators came to the races in the past
Old 2 Sep 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3999577)   #2435
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the problems with the circuit location was the need to go through the slowest toll booths in the world between Istanbul and the park. I believe this has been diverted now so the journey is much easier.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3999597)   #2436
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You have a point there. We had big crowds for the inaugural race in 2005, but the traffic jams that I remember seeing must have kept fans away for subsequent GPs there.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3999633)   #2437
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You have a point there. We had big crowds for the inaugural race in 2005, but the traffic jams that I remember seeing must have kept fans away for subsequent GPs there.
Yes, as I said before, I was there.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:25 (Ref:3999659)   #2438
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think it was to do with traffic jams. I remember being in plenty of those, leaving Brands and Silverstone and I would continue to go back the following year, as did thousands of other fans. I think it's largely a cultural thing.

Motorsport started in Europe and is predominantly a European activity. Most of those countries that have a motorsports heritage, have populations of European origin.

Despite having held seven grand prix, it doesn't seem to have translated into the development of any grass roots motorsport on which to build from.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3999665)   #2439
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe it’s a mixture of all those things. After all, what was it that made loads of fans go the first year, but stay away after that?
Old 2 Sep 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3999666)   #2440
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't think it was to do with traffic jams. I remember being in plenty of those, leaving Brands and Silverstone and I would continue to go back the following year, as did thousands of other fans. I think it's largely a cultural thing.
Take my word for it, they just couldn't be bothered to spend the money and suffer the traffic. As you say there is little grass routes racing in Turkey although they do have some capable rally drivers.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3999672)   #2441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe it’s a mixture of all those things. After all, what was it that made loads of fans go the first year, but stay away after that?
Istanbul Park is about two hours away from Istanbul, which doesn't help and maybe they just didn't find it particularly interesting. Prior to the Turkish GP, Turkey had a couple of tracks, one in Izmir, Ãœlkü Park and another in İzmit Körfez. It doesn't look like they are big on their motorsports.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 17:59 (Ref:3999682)   #2442
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's just around the hour in normal traffic.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3999685)   #2443
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's just around the hour in normal traffic.
Ok, around an hour in normal traffic but I don't think that's why the Turkish GP fell off the calendar. I think motorsport is just not very popular in Turkey.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 03:37 (Ref:3999945)   #2444
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bend Motorsport Park could host Australian GP

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austra...torsport-park/
Old 4 Sep 2020, 07:50 (Ref:3999968)   #2445
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Bend Motorsport Park could host Australian GP

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austra...torsport-park/
Access has been terrible with crowds of under 10,000 for a Supercar race.The mind boggles about getting in or out of the place for a Grand Prix.
I doubt Melbourne will happen in 2021 because it is a temporary circuit and the construction and staging costs would make no sense without a unrestricted crowd.The virus says that is not going to happen.
Back to Albert Park in 2022 if a medical breakthrough happens.If not all international sport is under great threat.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3999979)   #2446
S griffin
Veteran

Have Australia as the last GP like the good old days. Would be so much better than Abu Dhabi
Old 4 Sep 2020, 19:54 (Ref:4000112)   #2447
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There are some driver concerns about the outer circuit at Bahrain.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...paign=widget-2
Old 5 Sep 2020, 00:16 (Ref:4000142)   #2448
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There are some driver concerns about the outer circuit at Bahrain.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...paign=widget-2
There is always someone to complain. But the short length will create some issues. I expect it to be more of a problem in qualifying such as hot laps being inadvertently blocked. I am sure whoever is looking for blue flags to clear a path may be upset, but in a way, traffic issues may generate some interesting racing.

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4000285)   #2449
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Just split Q1 in two groups, like in IndyCar.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:48 (Ref:4000380)   #2450
S griffin
Veteran

That would be something that could be considered, after all they are heading a bit into the unknown with this outer circuit