Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1606722)   #1
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few billion dollars well spent?

I'm well respected (or is that ridiculed?) amongst my friends for my almost anorak-ish levels of Formula 1 knowledge, so while doing a pub quiz last night, we were delighted to get the question:

"Which Formula 1 team made its debut at the 2002 Australian Grand Prix?"

So I sat and thought about it for a while, and in the end went for Renault. I thought the quizmaster was trying to be a bit of a smart arse, what with that being the first year Benetton went back to being a proper Renault works team (IIRC).

The answer was, of course, Toyota, and I duly hung my head in shame.

It got me thinking though: what does it say about Toyota's complete lack of impact on the sport that I didn't even bring them to mind once? I even drive a bloody Toyota, for pity's sake!
Old 12 May 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1606727)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Toyota roadcars have a reputation for reliability,advanced technology,anonimity and being overpriced (have you seen how much they want for a new Yaris!).So in that respect i think they are doing very well.
Old 12 May 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1606736)   #3
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
haha! nice story pforrester, we all know that feeling of trying to be too expert in a damn pub quiz, and overlooking the obvious...
Old 12 May 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1606867)   #4
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Toyota roadcars have a reputation for reliability,advanced technology,anonimity and being overpriced (have you seen how much they want for a new Yaris!).So in that respect i think they are doing very well.
bigsmall (adj): the budget to points ratio of the F1 team
Old 12 May 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1607024)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All they're missing is the advanced technology.
Old 12 May 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1607034)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't buy Toyotas, no way.
Old 12 May 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1607095)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I had a pub quiz where they asked for the year that Senna died. 1993 was the answer according to them.

Obvsiously my protests made no difference, they had to go with what was "on the sheet" and all that, but it was bloody annoying.

Anyway, as to the topic, yes, Toyota in F1 have done a great job of just being there. Notice is taken of them because they are such a big automotive manufacturer...well, there is not that much on the track to explain it...
Old 12 May 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1607141)   #8
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, at least you had a guess.
Toyota road cars are reliable and practical, total the oppoiste of there formula one car
Old 12 May 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1607279)   #9
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
the oppoiste of the formula one car
Yes, I'm considering entering my Yaris for Monaco, as I'm pretty sure it's got more mechanical grip......
Old 12 May 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1607312)   #10
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracer
haha! nice story pforrester, we all know that feeling of trying to be too expert in a damn pub quiz, and overlooking the obvious...
So very, very true.

Perhaps its because questions like 'what nationality is Niki Lauda' or 'who recently became the first driver to win 5 titles in a row' are just so boring / easy for us geeks!
Old 13 May 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1608985)   #11
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't they the largest car manufacturer in the world now?

In F1 terms, they'd do a lot more with their money if they kept people like Mr. Gasgoigne (sp?) in the tent urinating out.
Old 14 May 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1609284)   #12
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
...... and this is really a few billions well spent:

Toyota link
Old 14 May 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1609312)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I had a pub quiz where they asked for the year that Senna died. 1993 was the answer according to them.

Obvsiously my protests made no difference, they had to go with what was "on the sheet" and all that, but it was bloody annoying.

Anyway, as to the topic, yes, Toyota in F1 have done a great job of just being there. Notice is taken of them because they are such a big automotive manufacturer...well, there is not that much on the track to explain it...
I did some sporting questions for a quiz once, my best contribution was "What to Alan Jones and (sir) Jack Brabham have in common"?

Out of 12 or I got the obligitory 6 "Oh poo, what do we write answers", 4 "They both raced Formula One" (Awarded half points) and I think 2 or three managed to nail "They are both (Ie: the only) Australian Formula One World Champions"
Old 15 May 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1610480)   #14
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefarny
Aren't they the largest car manufacturer in the world now?

In F1 terms, they'd do a lot more with their money if they kept people like Mr. Gasgoigne (sp?) in the tent urinating out.
I think GM is still ahead (barely).