Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Apr 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3723529)   #1576
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I don't envy their choice, but I'd be curious to know if anyone is particularly delighted by the current set up of split formats. Maybe I'm wrong and the customers (both sponsors and amateur drivers) are perfectly happy with it.
As a fan and competitor, I don't like the format. Of course, nobody in the series asked my opinion before it was announced, but I did have a friendly and constructive conversation with Greg Gill in the pits at St. Petersburg.

I personally only know of one person who wanted/likes the new format. Nobody else I've spoken with about it likes or wants it. /shrug

-mike
Old 3 Apr 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3723535)   #1577
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't get it. All PWC weekends but Long Beach have two races. That just less than 2 hours of racing. Why would any GT driver wish less than that?
Old 3 Apr 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3723556)   #1578
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one good part is that it has brought some pretty killer lineups to the grid and has allowed more drivers to get seats. Seeing Michael Lewis back is awesome. Having the Taylor brothers race in the series great, having Kyle Marcelli, Mike Skeen and Andy Lee back is awesome. I love seeing Laurens Vanthoor coming for a few races, possibly some big Bentley names and few more. That part is cool.

But is it worth it to the teams like CRP, KPAX or Wright to have to increase budgets and hire another Pro driver(s)?

I am fully onboard how they ran SprintX in 2016 by keeping the focus on Pro-Am lineups and having a short championship season. If they would have lowered the traditional solo championship to 14-16 rounds and increased SprintX from 6 to 8, I think you would have seen the grid numbers still boost. SprintX would have been an awesome place to put the Cup cars and maybe even TCR.

I hope we see it shift back to the more traditional PWC in 2018, but we'll see. If they want to keep SprintX, they need to go full on SprintX and just do away with solo at that point.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3723572)   #1579
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
The one good part is that it has brought some pretty killer lineups to the grid and has allowed more drivers to get seats. Seeing Michael Lewis back is awesome. Having the Taylor brothers race in the series great, having Kyle Marcelli, Mike Skeen and Andy Lee back is awesome. I love seeing Laurens Vanthoor coming for a few races, possibly some big Bentley names and few more. That part is cool.

But is it worth it to the teams like CRP, KPAX or Wright to have to increase budgets and hire another Pro driver(s)?

I am fully onboard how they ran SprintX in 2016 by keeping the focus on Pro-Am lineups and having a short championship season. If they would have lowered the traditional solo championship to 14-16 rounds and increased SprintX from 6 to 8, I think you would have seen the grid numbers still boost. SprintX would have been an awesome place to put the Cup cars and maybe even TCR.

I hope we see it shift back to the more traditional PWC in 2018, but we'll see. If they want to keep SprintX, they need to go full on SprintX and just do away with solo at that point.
I think 2 or 3 Sprint X races would actually be okay if marketed as high profile "guest driver" events akin to what the Aussies do with their Gold Coast Race. Or maybe mix up the format a little bit more and have one 30-minute sprint for each driver as a qualifier and then the 60 minute feature race with the pitstop for double points.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3723576)   #1580
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sprint X was originally designed to steal away entrants from IMSA. Then bring over those big SRO Euro teams to the US. Since we have a revolving door of people in charge of PWC and whoever is going to sanction it, we can pretty much rewrite history and to the intent of this series. Whatever the reason for having it this year will be different for next year. As long as it meets your agenda, then it's OK.

I really hope we can get the LMP3 rumor mill going again. If not that, the breakaway prototype series. For example, Cadillac has a Prototype and has a long standing relationship with WC Vision. Thus, breakaway prototype series. Might as well throw Dyson into the mix or have we written them off yet?

All you have to do is look back on history with Can-Am, WC and Trans Am and see how many time there was a entrant grab to go after IMSA.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3723633)   #1581
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Full SRO rules, or GTFO.
One major difference between Blancpain sprint and the PWC-X format, is that the PWC version features two distinct races, with the second race starting grid determined by the best lap times from race 1. I don't really like the way that race 1 in the Blancpain series is just a qualifying race. I also think that the lack of a minimum pit time is going to make the Sprint-X races a lot better than their European counterpart.
I would prefer that PWC either stick with their classic format or make the entire series Sprint-X. Unfortunately running with INDYCAR complicates matters regarding sharing pitlane. Likely this is the reason why only the PWC stand alone events feature the Sprint-X pitstops.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 05:01 (Ref:3723634)   #1582
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Old 4 Apr 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3723728)   #1583
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I also think that the lack of a minimum pit time is going to make the Sprint-X races a lot better than their European counterpart.
Doesn't Blancpain Sprint have non-timed pitstops as well? I think they are only using those in the national championships.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3723732)   #1584
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Has anyone on here been to VIR and how is it for spectators? I'm thinking about going up for the PWC weekend. It's absolutely one of my favorite tracks to see on tv and I have a great interest in the track's history. I remember watching a video of the track after it sat dormant for decades just when they were about to start bringing it back to life and I've always wanted to see a race there.

Last year I went to Barber for the first time and I'd like to visit a new track or two every year. Road America and Watkins Glen are on my list also and next year hopefully Le Mans or Spa.
Go! No, seriously, GO!!! It's a cracker with quite a few spectator look out spots. There are 2 paddock areas, the south one providing the option to look at the south part of the track. There's no full path to walk inside/outside of the entire track but by going by car you're able to travel around 75ish% of the premises.

You'll have a blast!
Old 4 Apr 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3723751)   #1585
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Doesn't Blancpain Sprint have non-timed pitstops as well? I think they are only using those in the national championships.
Only the "Pro" Sprint-X class has open timed pit stops (fast as you can go), everyone else has time limited stops... which is stupid.

Also, PWC is the only series I know where they run a different BoP for the same chassis in the Pro and Am class (but only for Porsche....). They're doing a lot of things rite, but some things are real head scratchers.

-mike
Old 4 Apr 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3723753)   #1586
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This series is very difficult to watch. When i finally got NBCsports, they then move it to CBSsports. I want to watch it but it feels like i have to wait forever to see their races.

IMSA could just lauch a GT3 series and vanquish them at any time now. Luckily they have too much on their plate for now.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3723791)   #1587
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Only the "Pro" Sprint-X class has open timed pit stops (fast as you can go), everyone else has time limited stops... which is stupid.

Also, PWC is the only series I know where they run a different BoP for the same chassis in the Pro and Am class (but only for Porsche....). They're doing a lot of things rite, but some things are real head scratchers.

-mike
I'd adopt the system like they use in NHRA Comp Eliminator. In case you are wondering, this will keep you busy for a while trying to figure it out:
http://www.dragzine.com/features/car...on-eliminator/
Old 14 Apr 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3726407)   #1588
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SprintX entry list just keeps climbing! It's going to be a great season for PWC!

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...sprintx-races/
Old 14 Apr 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3726421)   #1589
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Abril and Imperatori are pretty impressive additions to Absolute's lineup. Could be serious contenders in Sprint-X.

Another piece of PWC news came out today: the series will implement a concussion screening test, and Preston Calvert has been named medical advisor. http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...t-as-director/
Old 17 Apr 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3727369)   #1590
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always Evolving confirmed as well, so that's fun
Old 17 Apr 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3727370)   #1591
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Always Evolving confirmed as well, so that's fun
Link here:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...n-for-sprintx/
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3727602)   #1592
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like a solid lineup.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3727613)   #1593
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
The entry list for VIR next week has just been released! Star-studded list of drivers! Going to be mega!

http://files.world-challenge.com/eve...-EntryList.pdf
Old 19 Apr 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3727821)   #1594
ivozet
Rookie

ivozet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know where can i watch/stream round 2 form Long Beach?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3727858)   #1595
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivozet View Post

Motor trend on demand
Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3727866)   #1596
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivozet View Post
'Haven't tried too hard myself, but, I presume you've already seen the Stream/Media schedule on the top of the PWC page...fer instance

http://world-challenge.com/streamvid...d-broadcasts/#

jimclark
Old 20 Apr 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3727995)   #1597
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Haven't tried too hard myself, but, I presume you've already seen the Stream/Media schedule on the top of the PWC page...fer instance

http://world-challenge.com/streamvid...d-broadcasts/#
That's actually just the CBS Sports broadcast schedule. Sprint-X rounds at VIR, Mosport, Lime Rock, Utah & COTA, along with all GTS and TC races, are still supposed to be live streamed and as bcarr6 said, MToD has replays, including Long Beach.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3728044)   #1598
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What is the BoP for the next race?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3728071)   #1599
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
What is the BoP for the next race?
It's category B, so the same as COTA and Road America
Old 21 Apr 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3728085)   #1600
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
It's category B, so the same as COTA and Road America
what about for the select Pro-Am cars that have different BoP for the sprint races?

-mike