Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:52 (Ref:2038049)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Lewis Hamilton!

I wanted to start a thread with congratulations to lewis Hamilton. This is not about if he wins the world title or not and not about Alonso or politics. But I think we have all forgotten how fantastic he has been in his debut season. Yes he has a great car but at the end of the day the best drivers are in the best teams.

I am just pleased I have been able to see Lewis do what he has this year. What he has done for the sport not just in Great Britain but across the world with interest has been amazing. He is a fantastic role model. Ruthless and hard but fair and a true racer on the track. No bullets in his shinning armor and drives likes he's a veteran. His wins in Montreal and Fuji in difficult conditions just sums up his season for me. Whatever happens well done Lewis! I have thoroughly enjoyed this year, seeing lewis win, lose, pole, pass and lose out being glued to my seat. And we all though F1 wouldn't be interesting when Schui quit!

Anyway well done Lewis, from a huge fan of yours! Sportsman of the year for sure.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 21:00 (Ref:2038053)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Hear Hear!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 21:14 (Ref:2038059)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And it was very nice for him to pull out of the race in China, so it wouldn't divert the media's attention from the English rugby team's huge performance on Saturday!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 21:41 (Ref:2038069)   #4
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Outstanding drive this year, hopefully he won't do a Kimi the next couple of years and stay put at McLaren.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 22:12 (Ref:2038087)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, he certainly has surpassed most everyone's expectations. Well done Lewis!

I hope after all that's gone on this year, that LH does not start giving corporate, politically correct responses, like so many of his peers, past and present.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 22:36 (Ref:2038095)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A worthy thread luke.

Whatever happens next week it could be all too easy to underestimate just what LH has achieved in his rookie season - and what impact he can have on F1.

Lets leave the cynicism and politics elsewhere - this thread is a celebration of the achievements of a special driver.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 23:54 (Ref:2038122)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, congrats to Hamilton !
Old 12 Oct 2007, 00:05 (Ref:2038126)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Lewis Hamilton has done a splendid job this year whatever the outcome of the WDC..He deserves to be congratulated!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 02:55 (Ref:2038187)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knowing the kind of driver Lewis is he will be disappointed to not win the championship if he doesn't do it. However let's face it, no-one could've predicted him to be the favorite to clinch the championship coming into the final round. He has managed to do what Schumacher couldn't, rattle Alonso and get under his skin, all this in his first season. IMO he has been the most consistent driver despite the fact that he hasn't been to many of the tracks and indeed 3 of his 4 wins have come on tracks he hasn't been to. He will be a deserving champion and even if he doesn't it surely is only a matter of time.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 03:21 (Ref:2038190)   #10
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations to all the rookies!

First off let me say congratulations to Lewis Hamilton. He was thrown in the deep end at Albert Park, having to contend with the media scrum constantly following him, the pressure of driving for a top team on debut, and having to deal with Fernando, who is definately not the friendliest of people. He has more then proven his worth in Formula 1, and regardless of his result in Brazil, his debut season will be remembered for a long, long time.

But let's not forget that there were other rookies this year! I think they deserve as much appreciation as Hamilton, becuase if he hadn't debuted, their performances would have been more impressive. So, kudos to Heikki Kovalainen, who sits 7th in the championship on debut and snared 2nd at Fuji; Sebastian Vettel, who sits 14th with one 4th (and a possible 3rd had it not been for Fuji...); Adrian Sutil, who sits 19th and was faster than Albers and continues to outshine Yamamoto; and Anthony Davidson (the other other Brit), who I'm sure will be looking forward to 2008.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Oct 2007, 04:06 (Ref:2038201)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here here chatters, congrats to all rookies first off.

congrats to Hamilton, he has driven great all year, and he has upstaged his much fancied team mate (tio what extent the team involment with that is unknown but he has still upstaged him).

congrats to Kovalainen, he has wooped Fisi turned his badstart around, and has driven great in a car that was no where near the best, to fend off speculation that he might be moved out of the team.

Sutill has put that Spyker where it didn't deseve to be, he definatly has done great in a crap team.

the experienced congradulations:
congrats Rosberg, left Wurz for dead he has had a good consistant season and drove well all year.

congrats Webber, i know this is said every year but he has done it this year he has done great things with a less than good car, if it wasn't for Fuji he would be wooping DC in the points, but over the year it has been pretty even with these to with MW slightly in front.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:07 (Ref:2038325)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
However let's face it, no-one could've predicted him to be the favorite to clinch the championship coming into the final round. He has managed to do what Schumacher couldn't, rattle Alonso and get under his skin, all this in his first season. IMO he has been the most consistent driver despite the fact that he hasn't been to many of the tracks and indeed 3 of his 4 wins have come on tracks he hasn't been to. He will be a deserving champion and even if he doesn't it surely is only a matter of time.
Agreed. Whatever happens in the final race, he's had a phenomenal rookie season. His consistency has been staggering - to go through to the penultimate race without a DNF and without making a mistake during a race is really something. Whatever has happened off the track this season, it can't detract from what has been a quite outstanding F1 debut.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2038346)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, Hamilton deserves praise for a wonderful start. It's easy to let the political scandal at Mclaren divert the attention and ruin all good things. It's easy to brush off his performance as "having a good car". But at the end of the day, Hamilton in his debut year beat his teammate on equal grounds (even if Alonso wins the title), and that itself is cause for celebration! ...and considering FA is a 2 time WDC... it calls for double the celebration!

Back to reality though, Hamilton really need to get his feets stuck on the ground. He had won with the best, but look at Jacques.. it can all go wrong very quickly. I've sensed some occasion where Lewis is starting to wander out of his boundaries, using media to take shots at his teammates and all, which may be shaped by circumstances (teaming with Alonso), but not desirable nevertheless. He still have something to prove in less than the best equipment, and as Shaghai has shown.. he has much more to learn in reading the race for himself and looking at a bigger picture.

But so far, he's definitely on the right track. Well done!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2038456)   #14
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My only worry is that Mclaren will suck the life out of him and turn him into a boring grey corporate dullard. Even the colour scheme of the team/cars gives off a 'boring' image in my opinion.

Whether you like DC or not it was nice to see him come out of his shell a bit when he finally left Mclaren. I hope that Lewis doesn't have to leave Mclaren to come out of his shell.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2038472)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The old corporate boring theory! I think DC is now more "Red Bull" corporate than he ever was "McLaren" corporate. I also see that Kimi has come out of his corporate McLaren phase, er.

Anyway. Lewis is himself now and will remain so. Although no doubt he will change as he (still) finds his feet as anyone does.

He has had a remarkable start to his F1 career. He was as well prepared as you could be, but was still a rookie. Imagine when he has some experience too! Crikey!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2038477)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
hmmm....a Lewis Hamilton 'back-slapping' thread.Now looking forward to the 'Alonso-you big loser!' thread. Oh wait,we've already got one.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2038776)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Bravo Lewis! You might give English sports fans something to cheer about for a change
Old 12 Oct 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2038784)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooh, I don't know. Come seasons end our little island could have a World Superbike champion (achieved), a World Touring Car champion (strong possibility if all goes well) and a Formula 1 World champion (again, strong possibility).

We are a truly magnificent country.

Anyhow, nice to see a cheerful thread round here I must say. I must concur, Lewis has been truly majestic in his debut year. My expectations were that he would be very quick but he would not truly find the groove until mid season and then string it together a bit and build momentum for 2008.

How wrong I was. By round six he was winning and he took podiums in his first NINE races.

Forget the car, not everyone can achieve that level of consistency and performance. And it all peaked with that masterful performance in Fuji.

If he takes the title it will be truly deserved. To beat the reigning world champion in the same car, no matter that he's the teams (psychologically) favoured son, is remarkable.

He will make F1 a "boring"series for many years to come I suspect.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2038839)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hamilton has been brilliant and should be proud of what he has done. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, there are a lot of cracking good young drivers about right now so if they can all find their way into decent cars, there could be a golden era of F1 about to start.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2038860)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
He will make F1 a "boring"series for many years to come I suspect.
I told you so...
Old 12 Oct 2007, 22:00 (Ref:2038865)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis has done a great job this year. He'll deserve the title if he gets it. Yes, he has made a few risky comments and moves, but if he does win it'll be one of the greatest achievements in F1 history - making JA cry on air....I mean winning in his 1st year

Even if he doesn't win the title he's proved that he can race with the best. He has outraced all of the other 3 at the top. All depends on what happens at Brazil as to whether we'll be saying in the future that he should've won it or not
Old 13 Oct 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2039126)   #22
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis of course has done an amazing job, no matter which way the championship goes - for a debut season it has been, literally, unbelievable.
But away from his on track achievements, he is a great role model for kids from any walk of life and has also attacted a new generation of fan to the sport. This week he was awarded the Daily Mirror 'Most Inspirational Public Figure' award - bravo!
Old 24 Oct 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2049782)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate Lewis Hamilton again on a "fantastic first season" in F1.. Brilliant driving, and very gracious in defeat..
Old 24 Oct 2007, 01:21 (Ref:2049800)   #24
ICEMAN
Rookie

ICEMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis this year has been absoloutly outstanding for his first year, he is a real talent, and yes he may have a faster car than the rookies but so did villeneuve in 1996, who was also runner up in his first year with 4 wins aswell, so 11 years later we have a repeat performance from a rookie. i just hope Lewis doesnt go and do anything stupid like villeneuve, win a championship and leave a dominant team. But really a fantastic year, i am glad he didnt win (Because Im A Ferrari Fan) but all the same he was enjoyabl to watch! he should be very very quick again next year unless Mclaren build a slow car but i doubt that is going to happen! all Mclaren fans should be very happy about now! im sure there are championships to come.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 13:45 (Ref:2050201)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams weren't dominant in 1998 though when Villeneuve left them.