Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Apr 2004, 12:22 (Ref:946626)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Pitstops could hit British F3"

Anyone seen today's Motorsport News?

I see some nutter (T-Spoon's Russell Eacott) is proposing that compulsory pitstops for tyre changes be introduced to F3.

This makes me very angry. What do you lot think?
Old 21 Apr 2004, 12:58 (Ref:946674)   #2
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps for one race but certainly not for both. F3 is a training ground for F1 and Eacott is right in saying that drivers have very little training on this area. It could work both ways really, it could spice up some of the more processional races that always occur during a season or it could ruin a good battle on the track, if say someone bodges their stop. I'd like to see it in practice before I passed a final judgement but its an idea. I'd say to keep one race as it is now though and one as a pit stopper.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 13:14 (Ref:946687)   #3
Mathias
Veteran

England
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah! You see (i) if you're going to introduce pitstops, the place to do it is F3000, and (ii) if you want consistency between F1 and F3, there's a good argument for removing pitstops from F1 instead.

Plus, I reckon that having pitstops would place an additional financial burden on the teams - they could need more mechanics to pull it off. Plus, it would assume that the number of tyres available to the teams would be increased, and who would end up paying for that?

Add on top of that the fact that not all circuits have a pitlane that is appropriate for pitstops. Hmmm. I say, if it ain't broke...,
Old 21 Apr 2004, 13:16 (Ref:946688)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd have to make the races F3000 distnace for that to work. Pitting for tires every 13 minutes is silly
Old 21 Apr 2004, 15:53 (Ref:946813)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Mathias
Nah! You see (i) if you're going to introduce pitstops, the place to do it is F3000, and (ii) if you want consistency between F1 and F3, there's a good argument for removing pitstops from F1 instead.
But F3000 has introduced compulsory pitstops since the last two races of its 2003 season!!!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 15:57 (Ref:946817)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
You'd have to make the races F3000 distnace for that to work. Pitting for tires every 13 minutes is silly
That's the main point, with which I agree 100%!
adding pitstop to such short races makes no sense.
They should, ultimately, replace two short sessions with one longer, but I'm not sure it would attract so many more fans.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 17:38 (Ref:946912)   #7
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are going to attract more fans to single-seater racing up to and including F3, then the races have to be short sharp sprints. Quick bursts of action and easy to follow, in other words. Long-distance races are a drone and including pit stops is just a false way of supposedly spicing up the action (I personally am not a fan of them). The action in F3 isn't really all that bad as it stands. Sure, you get some boring races, both others can be very exciting.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:37 (Ref:946969)   #8
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there enough marshals to observe, time and report all the stops?

If the pit window is only a couple of laps wide, then that will make to rather dangerous in some of the cramped pitlanes.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:00 (Ref:946991)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silly idea.

And while we're at it, F3 races should be 35-40 minutes.

At the moment they're barely longer than Renault.

If they increased the length it would give a gradual build up, with F3 at 40 mins, F3000 at an hour and F1 at 1h30
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:12 (Ref:947002)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Ive noticed some of the Italian Renault races hitting 37 minutes, where a Brit Zetec race is barely over 20
Old 22 Apr 2004, 09:50 (Ref:947659)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
F3 is a training ground for F1
Why is everything governed by what F1 wants? How many of these drivers are really ever going to get an F1 drive (one? maybe two?)...the art of the pitstop can be learnt in private testing even in the car park at a teams factory if necessary. It's time to stop the tinkering and just get on with the racing...reading Mike Bakers comments in thsi weeks Autosport there are a lot more pressing issues concerning F3 in Britain than messing around introducing pit stops
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:06 (Ref:947674)   #12
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why there in F3 though isn't it Paul? Your right, very few of them will make it but that's why they're in F3 because they believe they will make it and so they should be trained. Whatever they move up into the chances are it will involve pit stops be it F1, 3000 or GT's.

You can practice pit stops in the car park or whatever but you can't replicate a race situation where the pressures on. F1 teams must practice pit stops thousands of times but how many times do we see them getting it wrong?

I like racing pure as well but it could add another dimension to the more processional races? You also have to remember that F3 isn't for spectators it's for the industry. BTCC is for the punters, F3 has a job of training drivers for higher formulae, it isn't here to provide entertainment for the paying punters.

I havn't read Mike Baker's comments about F3 in autosport yet but I will with great interest. I'm sure whatever the man is probably very angry at the moment considering he built his drivers up as title contenders and so far they've both flopped!
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:56 (Ref:947701)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is BUT it really musn't be forgotten that without "the punter" be it trackside or watching on television F1, it's industry and associated feeder series die
Old 22 Apr 2004, 15:08 (Ref:947958)   #14
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think pit stops in F3 would be rubbish. As has been said, you'd need to make the races longer, probably meaning we'd have to go back to one long race instead of two "sprint" races, that the series changed to a few years ago.

Yes, drivers will have to deal with pit stops when they get to F1. They also have to deal with 3-litre engines and a ton of extra horsepower as well - why not introduce that to F3?!

F3 is a feeder series, a learning category. Drivers should be in it to learn how to qualify and race, how to overtake and defend position. Not to learn how to depend on their team to gain them places. The last thing we want is to groom a generation of drivers who don't know how to overtake because they know they can do it at pit stops. Or a great driver to miss out on the championship and the chance to move up just because his team can't change tyres quickly enough.

If you wanted to introduce anything that is needed for F1, in my opinion it should be one-shot qualifying. Drivers like Coulthard and Raikkonen have been messing that up, it's clearly a quality that takes more skill than driving into the pits does, and more likely to be something F1 team bosses look out for.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 22 Apr 2004 at 15:09.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 15:17 (Ref:947970)   #15
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure there'd be a whole host of health and safety/insurance issues to do with introducing pit stops anyway, especially with the teams being new to it. It would cost too much, and would just be a pain in the ass.

Anyway, team bosses have got more pressing things to be doing than standing over their team with a stopwatch co-ordinating a pit stop ballet in the run up to race meetings.

Who suggested this anyeay? Was it that bloody SRO lot? I've got a few suggestions for them, I can tell you...
Old 23 Apr 2004, 05:25 (Ref:948559)   #16
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the poor scholarship teams, running on a very tight budget, some might not even have enough mechanics for each corner plus a controller.

You can just see a drivers Grandmother getting involved in a pitstop.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 11:19 (Ref:948832)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
pitstops, my arse. they didn't work in btcc, and as for preparing the drivers for f1... it's not the most difficult thing in the world, learning how to do a pitstop.

i'd much prefer 2 sprint races, that's bad enough at preparing the drivers for following each other, can you imagine a whole 45 minutes of it? i don't think most of the drivers have that sort of attention span anyway
Old 23 Apr 2004, 12:00 (Ref:948882)   #18
Mathias
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
pitstops, my arse. they didn't work in btcc...
1) They don't bleeming work in F1 either!!!

2) How come you can say "arse"?
Old 23 Apr 2004, 12:01 (Ref:948884)   #19
Mathias
Veteran

England
Oooh! ******* ******** **** **** and ******! I can too!
Old 24 Apr 2004, 10:44 (Ref:949902)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Pit stops would only work if there was a long 40 minute race, with a reasonable length pit window and at a circuit with a nice, wide pit lane, e.g. Silverstone.

They should only have one or per two season at most and the teams would have to be limited to basic equipment, otherwise the likes of Carlin would have an advantage, because they could use whatever kit they have for Nissan World Series.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced. The racing this season has been pretty darn good as it is.

Last edited by strider; 24 Apr 2004 at 10:45.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 04:15 (Ref:950583)   #21
Mathias
Veteran

England
Hear hear.

Pitstops are a flipping red flipping herring in F3 if you ask me.

Oh, nobody was.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 04:45 (Ref:950595)   #22
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be a nice idea.. The races would have to be much longer though, around 45-50 minutes.

From what I saw of F3 there was never much overtaking, if they had the chance to do a hot inlap and outlap to gain a position then that is fine by me.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 00:15 (Ref:951614)   #23
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
From what I saw of F3 there was never much overtaking,
No, there isn't much. So why would you want to extend a race where there's already minimal overtaking just so you can stick something in that means that they're less likely to overtake?
Old 26 Apr 2004, 00:33 (Ref:951624)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Would you prefer 2 25 minute races, or 1 50 minute race (whether there is a pitstop or not)

I guess 2 would be more fun
Old 26 Apr 2004, 04:45 (Ref:951715)   #25
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Rayner
No, there isn't much. So why would you want to extend a race where there's already minimal overtaking just so you can stick something in that means that they're less likely to overtake?
Because I like to fiddle. OK?