Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Apr 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3062350)   #476
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Link doesn't work for me. The site refuses to load.
Try this then: http://www.zinio.com/browse/issues/i...kuId=416218491

or Adobe Flash problem.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3062386)   #477
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I have heard rumors of VAG using the Volkswagen brand since they are not really racing anything right now.
Entering WRC next year, though.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3062427)   #478
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I like the fact that they could at least face each other in 2014. That means a new car from both so would make sense to extend that into at least 2015.

You'd hope by that time the series would have been boosted enough to be okay if either leaves.
This is what I'm thinking. Preparing a new car is a costly exercise for either marque.
Pending the emergence of any Peugeot-esque business issues for either brand, it seems pretty likely we'd see multiple years of competition between the two.

It's too significant an undertaking for a single season.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3062440)   #479
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Guys - I managed to read it.
Nothing really new, except for the fact that Durheimer continues to push for a participation in F1.
As a Porsche fan, I sincerely hope it is Audi that gets the honor of going to F1.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3062450)   #480
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still would like to see Porsche and Audi duke at it at the WEC and Le Mans. Just for the sake of having more manufacturers. Can't have just 1 or 2 competitive manufacturers like what Audi and to some extent Peugeot had the past 5 years. Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Honda/HPD, possibly Nissan or even Jaguar...

mouth watering. Just like the Group C days.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:20 (Ref:3062455)   #481
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Weren't there rumors saying that Audi wants to go to F1?
This article is just over a year old; what a U turn.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/carraci...Is-Irrelevant/
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3062458)   #482
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/carraci...Is-Irrelevant/

Maybe not. It is still not decided who goes to F1. Perhaps Audi will prevail, and Porsche will have to endure going to F1. Who knows.
Remember that Durheimer is ex-Porsche so from Audi's point of view, there is no U-Turn .
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:47 (Ref:3062459)   #483
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe not. It is still not decided who goes to F1. Perhaps Audi will prevail, and Porsche will have to endure going to F1. Who knows.
Remember that Durheimer is ex-Porsche so from Audi's point of view, there is no U-Turn .
Durheimer or not, if that's not a U-turn I don't know what is?
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3062461)   #484
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Not that, because nothing has changed (what Ulrich says in that link is just PR crap). They have flirted with the idea for years and continue to do so. What could be seen an U turn was their lobbying of the Global Race Engine and then suddenly not showing interest: http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/52832.html

Last edited by deggis; 20 Apr 2012 at 07:01.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3062478)   #485
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
I still would like to see Porsche and Audi duke at it at the WEC and Le Mans. Just for the sake of having more manufacturers. Can't have just 1 or 2 competitive manufacturers like what Audi and to some extent Peugeot had the past 5 years. Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Honda/HPD, possibly Nissan or even Jaguar...

mouth watering. Just like the Group C days.
The FIA/ACO need to move heaven and earth to ensure Toyota stay and that another couple of manufacturers are lining up come 2014. It's SO important to get the regulations right so that when car companies begin to return to a position of strength, they see an amazing WEC and want to be a part of it.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3062492)   #486
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They have been doing doughnuts for years
Old 20 Apr 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3062495)   #487
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's just meaningless PR talk for both directions... first they give F1/FIA some good publicity by saying that they would be very interested to come and play in the future if thing X changes but then a few days later they give ACO a helping hand by claiming that the endurance racing is the only true and relevant form of motorsports.

Then they repeat the whole cycle again in 6 months
Old 20 Apr 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3062713)   #488
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks Guys - I managed to read it.
Nothing really new, except for the fact that Durheimer continues to push for a participation in F1.
As a Porsche fan, I sincerely hope it is Audi that gets the honor of going to F1.
My version of your quote...

As a Porsche fan, and F1 fan, I sincerely hope is Audi that gets the honor of going to F1.

I love both F1 and sports car racing. I even probably watch more F1 of the two. But as much as I like F1, I wouldn't wish the meat-grinder that is F1 upon my worst enemy. I don't care who or how big you are, if you jump into F1, I think it can take at least a decade of constant effort to achieve real results (perform at the top). Maybe being an engine supplier might be OK, but even then, that is tough.

Mercedes basically bought the well established Brawn (aka Honda) team. So not to discount their own hard work, they are reaping the benefit (time and money) that was put into that team by Honda for many years. The could buy someone like Force India, etc. but even then it would be many years to dig out of mid-pack.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 20 Apr 2012 at 16:45.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3062788)   #489
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My version of your quote...

As a Porsche fan, and F1 fan, I sincerely hope is Audi that gets the honor of going to F1.

I love both F1 and sports car racing. I even probably watch more F1 of the two. But as much as I like F1, I wouldn't wish the meat-grinder that is F1 upon my worst enemy. I don't care who or how big you are, if you jump into F1, I think it can take at least a decade of constant effort to achieve real results (perform at the top). Maybe being an engine supplier might be OK, but even then, that is tough.

Mercedes basically bought the well established Brawn (aka Honda) team. So not to discount their own hard work, they are reaping the benefit (time and money) that was put into that team by Honda for many years. The could buy someone like Force India, etc. but even then it would be many years to dig out of mid-pack.

Richard
let's not let F1 dominate this thread.

But on a quick note. BMW bought Sauber and in a few years was scratching Ferrari and Mclaren. It can be done - with the right team.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3062841)   #490
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Red Bull bought the remnants of Jaguar, signed one guy name Adrian and had favorable new regs, jumped to a 2 time WDC. Audi or Porsche could perhaps buy into an existing team and do the same. But who, or would they? Regardless of who goes where it'll be a great addition to either series.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3062860)   #491
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Audi or Porsche could perhaps buy into an existing team and do the same. But who, or would they? Regardless of who goes where it'll be a great addition to either series.
Toro Rosso is the theory being banded around.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3062912)   #492
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
And Mercedes as an engine supplier already was established.

Only factory team built from zero was Toyota.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 04:48 (Ref:3062925)   #493
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like F1 because the races are a lot more frequent than the waits i have to go through flollowing WEC/ALMS but I would prefer that WEC suceeded over F1 not that that would ever be allowed to happen.

F1 cars a great spectacle. But WEC seems cheaper and an easier place to use cost capping which would allow more manufactureres who are on the fringe like
Jag, Nissan, Honda!!, GM,Renault! the list goes on.
My mouth is watering and i've already had dinner..

Last edited by Articus; 21 Apr 2012 at 04:56.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3063129)   #494
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I like F1 because the races are a lot more frequent than the waits i have to go through flollowing WEC/ALMS but I would prefer that WEC suceeded over F1 not that that would ever be allowed to happen.

F1 cars a great spectacle. But WEC seems cheaper and an easier place to use cost capping which would allow more manufactureres who are on the fringe like
I remember in the mid '80s, when it was the World Endurance Championship, which became the Worlds Sports Prototype Championship, seasons having 10 to 11 races and the wait didn't seem so long between them.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3063136)   #495
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Not that would ever happen anyway.

Quote:
Add 10 more races and much more increased competition (it's not the seconds that cost, but the tenths) and then try calling a series cheap that costs as much as F1 with fraction of the media coverage.

Quote:
I remember in the mid '80s, when it was the World Endurance Championship, which became the Worlds Sports Prototype Championship, seasons having 10 to 11 races and the wait didn't seem so long between them.
Initially only the name changed for 1986, because manufactures thought the E word was misleading. If Ratel's series didn't exist now, I think they would have taken another name now too.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3063465)   #496
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
F1 use cars that evolve almost every other race. P1's have two different aero packages. There's no way the current WEC even with the level of competition that F1 has (in terms of involvement) would rival it in costs.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3063466)   #497
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
F1 use cars that evolve almost every other race. P1's have two different aero packages. There's no way the current WEC even with the level of competition that F1 has (in terms of involvement) would rival it in costs.
You've got that mixed up, it's LMP2 cars that are restricted to two aero packages (and one of them to be used solely for Le Mans) in the name of cost capping. LMP1 cars aren't, they can bring aero developments whenever they can or like.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3063479)   #498
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
You've got that mixed up, it's LMP2 cars that are restricted to two aero packages (and one of them to be used solely for Le Mans) in the name of cost capping. LMP1 cars aren't, they can bring aero developments whenever they can or like.
That's right, I'm sorry. Even so, updates to an LMP with 8 rounds even at every round is nowhere close to updates at a possible 20 rounds. Not counting the cost of moving the equipment, the motor homes, etc. to all those different events. F1 is way bigger at the moment than WEC. Not just in terms of popularity either.
Old 10 May 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3072188)   #499
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Volkswagen rules out Formula 1 move in the near future

VW, but not VW Group.

Last edited by deggis; 10 May 2012 at 11:59.
Old 10 May 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3072282)   #500
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is true that Porsche will present their car in mid 2013 and race the final WEC races, for testings proposed.