Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3352427)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nissan LMP1 Discussion

As MyNameIsNigel suggested, this is news which really deserves its own thread.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112085

Quote:
Nissan is fully committed to entering the LMP1 class at the start of the 2015 World Endurance Championship, the Japanese manufacturer has revealed.

It had previously stated that it was working on concepts for an LMP1 programme, which is a condition of its 2014 'Garage 56' Le Mans 24 Hours entry with the ZEOD RC experimental racer, and that funding had yet to be signed off.

Now it has revealed that key decisions about the project are being made and that Nissan's first outright challenger for Le Mans honours since 1999 is on course to be on the grid for the opening round of the WEC in 2015.

Nissan global motorsport director Darren Cox told AUTOSPORT: "Any motorsport programme is dependent on the decisions of a company's board of directors, but we are pushing ahead as though it is all happening.

"We are making decisions, entering discussions with suppliers and on target to be at Silverstone [the opening round of the WEC this year and last] in April 2015."

Cox would not discuss details of Nissan's plans, although he did admit that the hybrid powerplant's internal combustion element would be petrol-powered.

"We are not doing this in a conventional way: it will be a global project, so NISMO [Nissan's motorsport arm in Japan] and Ben [Bowlby, designer of the ZEOD], will be involved," he explained.

The next wave of announcements concerning the ZEOD, including confirmation of the configuration of its internal combustion engine, are due at the end of this month.
Looks like we could find out officially about the Nissan's powerplant before we find out about Porsche's!
Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3352430)   #2
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for opening this new thread.

Let's now hope the company's board of directors will stick to this plan.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3352431)   #3
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does that not refer to the ZEOD's powerplant??

This is great news though, although the part about the board of directors worries me slightly, as to me it sounds as if the program isn't signed off yet.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3352434)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's interesting because, again, this isn't a nailed on confirmation.

Everything looks to be going in the right direction - but Cox seems to imply it hasn't been agreed at board level?

Hopefully they'll be in a position to announce something officially soon as a company.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3352441)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's interesting because, again, this isn't a nailed on confirmation.

Everything looks to be going in the right direction - but Cox seems to imply it hasn't been agreed at board level?

Hopefully they'll be in a position to announce something officially soon as a company.
Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird really. I've interpreted it as Cox having the verbal go-ahead, if not the official financial one.

This would be very odd things to be coming out with if not.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3352442)   #6
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Internal company politics---different divisions with different VPs having different views and visions of and for the company. One faction tries to force the hand of another by presenting a fait accompli--"We have already invested X time and money, we would be better off following through and gaining the benefits than cutting our losses."
Old 10 Jan 2014, 15:14 (Ref:3352446)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I call BS.

"It had previously stated that it was working on concepts for an LMP1 programme, which is a condition of its 2014 'Garage 56' Le Mans 24 Hours entry"

With that statement in mind, how can they say anything other than 'Yes, we are working on P1 for 2015...."

My guess is that they will show up with the ZEOD this year, have lacklustre performance - proclaim it as a great success and 'the future' and disappear again.

Please prove me wrong Nissan. PLEASE.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3352478)   #8
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any motorsport programme is dependent on the decisions of a company's board of directors, but we are pushing ahead as though it is all happening.
mmm........sounds quite like a department head asking for budget from the board of directors by pushing his stuff to do something in advance. Not really a solid confirmation.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3352487)   #9
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I haven't got a clue, but considering the lead time required to mount a credible campaign, getting the ball rolling with verbal authorisation while the board dots the i's and crosses the t's must be a good idea. You can do lots of planning without spending huge amounts of money.

Come on Nissan! Japan vs Germany!
Old 10 Jan 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3352497)   #10
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird really. I've interpreted it as Cox having the verbal go-ahead, if not the official financial one.

This would be very odd things to be coming out with if not.
I suspect Nissan's 2015 budget will only be officially signed off much later in 2014, much like every other large company. Thus, Cox probably has the budget to do Garage 56, the LMP2 engine, Race Academy, and design/prep work for an LMP1, but no authority to commit to actually racing anything in 2015.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 18:05 (Ref:3352517)   #11
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I suspect Nissan's 2015 budget will only be officially signed off much later in 2014, much like every other large company. Thus, Cox probably has the budget to do Garage 56, the LMP2 engine, Race Academy, and design/prep work for an LMP1, but no authority to commit to actually racing anything in 2015.
Bingo!
Old 10 Jan 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3352552)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Committed but not really committed = yet another contradictory, nonsensical statement.

Read that before coming here, but the thread title is still misleading if new thread was needed in the first place.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3352556)   #13
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Committed but not really committed = yet another contradictory, nonsensical statement.

Read that before coming here, but the thread title is still misleading and not sure if a new thread is was even required.
Hey, what happened to you? I was missing you these last few days, you disappeared and I was wondering what would deggis say, now that finally the collective has decided there is going to be an LMP1.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3352571)   #14
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Hey, what happened to you? I was missing you these last few days, you disappeared and I was wondering what would deggis say, now that finally the collective has decided there is going to be an LMP1.
Apparently all it took was a major journo to write a wishful headline which is not that connected to what Cox actually said. Pretty disappointed at the "collective".
Old 10 Jan 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3352573)   #15
deltawing
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Apparently all it took was a major journo to write a wishful headline which is not that connected to what Cox actually said. Pretty disappointed at the "collective".
Oh man, I am trying so hard to help you quite while you are ahead, but you just want to hit that wall at full speed, like it is fun!
Old 10 Jan 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3352593)   #16
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
This smells like tactics to appease the ACO since they put their foot down and said no G56 without LMP1 in 2015.

Would I be surprised to see Nissan bring the Zeod, milk it for PR and then announce that the board is sadly not allowing LMP1 to happen? Not at all..

This whole thing is turning into a complete farce. I have never seen a manufacturer be this indecisive about joining a racing series. It's absurd.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3352595)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's just because, as has been mentioned on here before, a normally private process is playing out in public.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3352608)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Nissan wants to win LeMans outright. They cant do that with the zeod. I dont know what it would take besides a car on track to convince some here they are coming back.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3352613)   #19
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Nissan wants to win LeMans outright. They cant do that with the zeod. I dont know what it would take besides a car on track to convince some here they are coming back.
An official announcement (read: press release, not something Cox blurbs alone) mentioning what and when.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3352622)   #20
deltawing
Racer

Read #10.... then wait patiently.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3352626)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But we want it now!

We demand it now! Don't Nissan know who they're messin' with here????

Old 10 Jan 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3352633)   #22
deltawing
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But we want it now!

We demand it now! Don't Nissan know who they're messin' with here????

I for once am very happy that finally there is dedicated battlefield thread for this, so now the G56 thread can finally rest and get back to the actual program!

Old 11 Jan 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3352660)   #23
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I dont know what it would take besides a car on track to convince some here they are coming back.
A statement with no qualifiers. No ifs and possibles.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 00:45 (Ref:3352661)   #24
deltawing
Racer

And then what happens? Are we all going to buy a Versa and put a "P1" sticker on it?
Old 11 Jan 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3352663)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This forum is full of people who try to prove their worth with cynicism. However, frankly, it isn't real until that car is on track. That is because, the press, the posters on forums and even the team talk crap based on no facts whatsoever and you can't tell the difference between that and reality, because the words on your screen look the same. It's internet cry wolf.

If someone doesn't believe it until they see a car on track fair enough. Although being negative to prove you are clever is tedious and simple.