Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Aug 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1693970)   #51
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sophisticated is just not a word that comes to mind for me when we're talking about NASCAR Rex, I guess you and I can just disagree on that point.

No argument about someone else doing a better job managing things than Bernie though, I'll give ya that one.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1695658)   #52
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Sophisticated is just not a word that comes to mind for me when we're talking about NASCAR Rex, I guess you and I can just disagree on that point.

I agree with you, and until recently, I would have doubted that a NASCAR car is sophisticated. However, I was channel surfing and caught one of the many NASCAR shows on Speed. They had several Chief Engineers talking, and had a full-size cutaway car. As they talked about the things they could adjust, change, etc. the complexity (sophistication) came leaping off the screen. These cars are extremely well engineered, and have an almost infinite array of adjustments. In other ways, they can be seen as very fundamental, having a front mounted V-8, IFS and a live rear axle. It's when you go beyond the fundamentals that the incredible level of sophistication is revealed.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1697089)   #53
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Compared to F1 Rex, I just don't see it that way although, I have to admit, I don't follow the sport much. If JV ends up in NASCAR, I reckon I'll find-out.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1697118)   #54
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Compared to F1 Rex, I just don't see it that way although, I have to admit, I don't follow the sport much. If JV ends up in NASCAR, I reckon I'll find-out.
I understand, Last2LiftOff. It's not my favorite either. If you had caught the same show, I know you'd probably see the same thing. If Villeneuve fils and Montoya really do end up there, it might recruit a lot of F1 fans. We'll know soon!
Old 29 Aug 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1697133)   #55
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure NASCAR will get alot of F1 fans on board with Montoya and maybe JV. Last year I didn't even watched 1 NASCAR race and I thought that it was stupid,boring and not real racing but ever since Montoya annouced he was going to NASCAR I found my self more and more interested in the sport, hell I even watched the most of the race at Bristol last weekend, something I never did before. I'm pretty sure that i'm not the only one who followed that path, great move by NASCAR.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1697142)   #56
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molotov
I'm pretty sure NASCAR will get alot of F1 fans on board with Montoya and maybe JV. Last year I didn't even watched 1 NASCAR race and I thought that it was stupid,boring and not real racing but ever since Montoya annouced he was going to NASCAR I found my self more and more interested in the sport, hell I even watched the most of the race at Bristol last weekend, something I never did before. I'm pretty sure that i'm not the only one who followed that path, great move by NASCAR.
I don't think you will be alone!
Old 30 Aug 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1697425)   #57
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, maybe its time to end the whole NASCAR argument and take it to PM or elsewhere because it is not part of this discussion, and it is not in the spirit of ten-tenths for members to denegrate other racing series.

There is still plenty to discuss about JV's situation and his future options in motorsport.

While I agree NASCAR is a possible option for Jacques, I think another is for him to go to Sportscars. He has always been keen on them and racing at Le Mans, and I think it might be something he will enjoy more as it is closer in performance to F1 than NASCAR. Also there are some great circuits to race on of a type he has said that he likes, and he will have a chance to go fast which is a significant motivator for him. Preparation time for him would be a matter of weeks rather than months in NASCAR, and he would be able to make the transition quickly like Johnny Herbert. That's another thing, there are probably some drivers over there he will like to race against, and a lifestyle he will enjoy. If he were to race in the European series then it keeps him a helicopter ride from home, too.

I suspect this is where we will see him in 2007.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1697516)   #58
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
I seriously doubt he would go to sports cars, he already said that he considers it a step down from F1. I think Jacques wants to try something new, he already won in the 2 biggest road racing series(Indycar was really important before the split) and the only thing of interest might be Lemans. Jacques seems to have it's mind set on NASCAR , he probably wants to be the first driver to be F1 champ, Indy Champ and Nascar champ, arguably the 3 biggest autoracing series, i'd be quite a feat too.

This year is one of the best years to come to NASCAR too, alot of teams have not confirmed there drivers(many top team too). Jacques will try his luck in NASCAR but I think he will fail and go to retirement after 2-3 years. On the other hand he has the same blood as his father, who could have won in pretty much any motor racing series IMO, so you never know.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1697680)   #59
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I seriously doubt he would go to sports cars, he already said that he considers it a step down from F1. I think Jacques wants to try something new, he already won in the 2 biggest road racing series(Indycar was really important before the split) and the only thing of interest might be Lemans. Jacques seems to have it's mind set on NASCAR , he probably wants to be the first driver to be F1 champ, Indy Champ and Nascar champ, arguably the 3 biggest autoracing series, i'd be quite a feat too.
Peugeot will be debuting a new diesel prototype next year with a full factory effort. I think that would certainly be attractive enough to at least make a run at Le Mans.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1697725)   #60
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Peugeot will be debuting a new diesel prototype next year with a full factory effort. I think that would certainly be attractive enough to at least make a run at Le Mans.
It was rumored that they asked Jacques and Panis to drive for them next year, it would certainly be a good driver line-up and a good car. The problem is I never heard Jacques talk about Lemans while the word NASCAR comes out of his mouth often. Here's an interview made by Yan Leffort, Jacques's attaché de press, for the french canadian network RDS.

"We are were we were", explaines Yan Lefort, Jacques Villeneuve's agent in a interview for RDS
"Jacques and his entourage continue to reflect on two options: F1 on one side and Nascar on the other. These are the only two championships that are interesting to him. Jacques is studying the possibilities and the conditions related to each. Nothing is finalised, nothing is signed. there will be information soon, we need to be patient. The only thing that is certain is that Jacques will be behind a steering wheel in 2007."

It pretty much writes off the Lemans option, at least JV will be racing somewhere next year.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1697799)   #61
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was rumored that they asked Jacques and Panis to drive for them next year, it would certainly be a good driver line-up and a good car. The problem is I never heard Jacques talk about Lemans while the word NASCAR comes out of his mouth often. Here's an interview made by Yan Leffort, Jacques's attaché de press, for the french canadian network RDS.

"We are were we were", explaines Yan Lefort, Jacques Villeneuve's agent in a interview for RDS
"Jacques and his entourage continue to reflect on two options: F1 on one side and Nascar on the other. These are the only two championships that are interesting to him. Jacques is studying the possibilities and the conditions related to each. Nothing is finalised, nothing is signed. there will be information soon, we need to be patient. The only thing that is certain is that Jacques will be behind a steering wheel in 2007."

It pretty much writes off the Lemans option, at least JV will be racing somewhere next year.
I sure wish I still had my Speed channel recording of Le Mans. They interviewed someone, I'm pretty sure it was Panis, and he talked about he and JV and another F1 driver (dont recall if it was current or retired) being in one of the 2 '07 Peugeot's. IIRC, arent JV and Panis pretty decent friends?

But just because the words 'Le Mans' were not in that statement by Lefort, is meaningless IMO. That quote was talking championship series, and Le Mans is a one day event. If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would put money on the Peugeot rumor (but not a lot of money!)
Old 30 Aug 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1697872)   #62
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
That makes alot of sense curveball, personally i'd love to see Panis and JV together again. I'm sure they could do good results with that Peugots, it's about time some one challenges Audi at Le Mans. The problem is that if JV joins NASCAR Busch series next year, there is a race every weekend in the month of June(Le Mans is supposed to be sometime in June), will his team let him miss a race or 2 to go test and race at Le Mans?
Old 31 Aug 2006, 05:36 (Ref:1698186)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There seems to be a lot of assumption that if JV wants to go nascar, well golly he has a ride just waitin for em.

Well, I haven't heard any interest from any team from the 3 main nascar series. Most of the nextel cup rides are already locked up for next year and i'm sure many of the truck and busch rides are too. Why a nascar team owner would want jv and his price tag when there is plenty of stock car talent already around and ready to go is beyond me.

The ganassi/montoya bit is an exception not the rule. It only springs from ganassi's love affair for montoya and that's it. I don't see anyone in nascar salivating over jv.

If someone can find someone, anyone from nascar that is interested in signing jv please post those comments from the team owner involved. Until then the jv/nascar bit is pure speculation(or hope) not fact as some seem to state it.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1698485)   #64
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
What you are saying is entirely true, we have not heard anything from any NASCAR teams involving Villeneuve. I remember one of the top team bosses saying that he wouldn't take Villeneuve because he has no experience and that’s about it.

On the other hand Pollock seems pretty sure a NASCAR deal is easily obtainable, I remember him saying that getting a deal in NASCAR is no problem.

I don't know how much influence the NASCAR boss has on the teams but he might be pushing hard to get Villeneuve in a car, a former WDC of F1. That'd be big news for the series. The series is also trying to break in Canada and internationally, with a Busch race at Montreal this year we will most likely see some drivers from Quebec/Canada just for that race like they are doing for Mexico. Don't forget how big the Villeneuve name is, if he really wants to go to NASCAR I’m sure he can get a bunch of important Canadian sponsors(Bombardier, RBC, Petro Canada ect.. are all really big companies who might be interested in NASCAR) to follow him, making it difficult for a team to refuse his services.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1698486)   #65
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
There seems to be a lot of assumption that if JV wants to go nascar, well golly he has a ride just waitin for em.

Well, I haven't heard any interest from any team from the 3 main nascar series. Most of the nextel cup rides are already locked up for next year and i'm sure many of the truck and busch rides are too. Why a nascar team owner would want jv and his price tag when there is plenty of stock car talent already around and ready to go is beyond me.

The ganassi/montoya bit is an exception not the rule. It only springs from ganassi's love affair for montoya and that's it. I don't see anyone in nascar salivating over jv.

If someone can find someone, anyone from nascar that is interested in signing jv please post those comments from the team owner involved. Until then the jv/nascar bit is pure speculation(or hope) not fact as some seem to state it.
In other words, "I'm from Missouri, show me!"
Old 31 Aug 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1698521)   #66
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
I'm pretty sure it was Panis, and he talked about he and JV and another F1 driver (dont recall if it was current or retired) being in one of the 2 '07 Peugeot's.
I'm certain the "other" driver would have to be retired as i can't see any current F1 team loaning a rival such as Peugeot one of their drivers. Ron Dennis won't let JPM drive in another team that is owned by the same company his team is (well 40% of his team at least )
Old 31 Aug 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1698531)   #67
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if Panis did mean current F1 drivers it really only leaves the Red Bull roster to pick from as they're not tied to any particular car brand. Coulthard, perhaps?
Old 31 Aug 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1698536)   #68
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Coulthard (to use your example) is still paid by his employers, and used to represent Red Bull's sponsers. He can't do that if he injures himself at Le Mans.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1698634)   #69
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it wasnt DC. I just cant remember who he mentioned. Its possible it was a french driver for the 3rd position, but I dont know my ex-F1 drivers well enough to know which were french. And I also dont think it was Montagny either, it was an older driver. I hate having a bad memory!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1698733)   #70
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Alesi just quit DTM so he might very well be a candidate for that Peugeots team even though he is getting pretty old. I'd like to see Premat or that other French GP2 kid (can't remember his name), they were pretty fast in A1GP. Other then that I can't really come up with any other French candidates. Montagny and Bourdais all seem taken for next year.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1698759)   #71
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's only 42, far older drivers still do well at Le Mans....
Old 31 Aug 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1698913)   #72
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV close to signing with a NASCAR team?

Quote:
Jacques Villeneuve is edging closer to a deal with a Nascar team, according to an Italian sports newspaper.

'La Gazzetta dello Sport' is reporting this week that the French Canadian, whose BMW tenure and formula one career abruptly ended after the German GP last month, is now in talks with a team in the highly-popular American stock car series.

If confirmed for 2007, the news would make 35-year-old Villeneuve - world champion of 1997 - the second former formula one winner to switch to Nascar this year, after Juan Pablo Montoya announced his shock move in early July.
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=40362

There is a thread on this in the NASCAR forum. I suspect discussion of this belongs there, although JV is in a weird netherworld right now, unlike JPM who is officially now a NASCAR driver.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1698948)   #73
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy

There is a thread on this in the NASCAR forum. I suspect discussion of this belongs there, although JV is in a weird netherworld right now, unlike JPM who is officially now a NASCAR driver.

Great, these enthralling Villeneuve threads know no forum bounds
Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1698951)   #74
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
He does have a following that's a for sure.