Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Feb 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2632892)   #51
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
standover tactics wont cut it in WA

HSVDT missed VESA not having the courtesy to stand by the timing VESA gave to the WASCC ....

Yep, the WASCC is a car club & car clubs are the lifeblood of Australian motorsport .. its not in business like Linfox or Bob Jane or most other promoters, it puts any surplus back into motorsport with the support of like minded businessmen e.g Alf Barbagallo:Substantial support was gained from long term sponsor Alf Barbagallo to enable the construction of the short circuit and it was announced that the Circuit would be known as Barbagallo Raceway Wanneroo.

Maybe someone like Kerry Stokes should buy it you think HSVDT.

WASCC since 1927 ... been to the brink of financial disaster before for WA motorsport not a private company out to extract as many dollars from the sport as possible.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2632953)   #52
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVDT View Post
No wonder VESA dumped W.A for 2010, Mr Thornell has said the WASCC don't want to risk there funds which basically says that the WASCC has very little funds yet there demanding a hell of a lot for a small club thats already on a tight budget.

This is NOT VESA's fault due to VESA being a fully compliant FIA championship, with this said tracks these days need to conform to the FIA specs for the particular FIA compliant championship that uses that track therefore the big $$$$$$ are needed and it has been quite common practice for the last 5 years for tracks to become FIA spec tracks. A good example of this is Eastern Creek as its classified as a Grade 2 FIA Spec track, the only reason why the V8s ain't there is due to the current organizers the ARDC, also its well documented that VESA refuses to go to Eastern creek whilst its being run by the ARDC.

If the W.A Government has such a strong commitment to motorsport and demonstrated with the recent $5 million commitment to upgrade facilities at Barbagallo then surely the W.A Government should have no problem finding the money to bring the Barbagallo circuit up to a Grade 2 FIA Spec track and have the V8s return each year.

The above media release of the WASCC lists some high demands and to a point VESA's sanctioning fees maybe high, but if the W.A Government really wants to resolve this they need to act on it now by spending money on the Barbagallo track to bring it up to FIA standards otherwise within 12 months VESA could easily announce that the V8s won't return to W.A period. The ideal thing would be to see someone akin to Lindsay Fox or James Packer to buy out the WASCC and start from scratch and rebuild the entire track, pitbays, and every other facility that is there to bring it up to FIA standards as it's a win win situation for everyone.

As I've mentioned several times;

If VESA want tracks to meet their standards, they need to build their own or buy and upgrade the ones that don't satisfy them.

Anything less is badgering, blackmail and corruption of their publicly stated aims.

Last edited by Malfunction Junction; 14 Feb 2010 at 01:15. Reason: autocensor doesn't recognise context, but then it is only a machine....
Old 14 Feb 2010, 02:06 (Ref:2632992)   #53
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
Anything less is badgering, blackmail and corruption of their publicly stated aims.
Also known as business negotiations.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2633000)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i went into a shop the other day to purchase a book, i thought the price was too high, so i went elsewhere

apparently now i am a blackmailer and corrupt

Seriously some of you guys need a does of reality

Last edited by peckstar; 14 Feb 2010 at 02:41.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2633014)   #55
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i went into a sup the other day to purchase a book, i thought the price was too high, so i went elsewhere

apparently now i am a blackmailer and corrupt

Seriously some of you guys need a does of reality
That's the point I'm making. It is a business negotiation just like any other. Both sides will try and get the best possible deal for their own interests. Spinning the details, positive and negative, is part of the negotiation process which I doubt is finished yet.

Individual allegencies will determine who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Good negotiators rarely become popular but they do become successful.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 05:41 (Ref:2633097)   #56
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, let's check the list of removed / dead / cancelled races and find out why (and who replaced them)?

Calder Park -> TBA -> replaced by Gold Coast (Indy)
Canberra -> change of government -> replaced by a second Eastern Creek round
Shanghai -> TBA -> replaced by Bahrain
Pukekohe -> moved for better crowds -> replaced by Hamilton
Oran Park -> sold for development, no chance of repica -> replaced by Homebush
Eastern Creek -> long-standing spat with ARDC -> replaced by Townsville

So what's going to replace a great track like Barbagallo???

Last edited by pascofi m-sport; 14 Feb 2010 at 05:41. Reason: left out one line
Old 14 Feb 2010, 06:32 (Ref:2633106)   #57
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascofi m-sport View Post
Okay, let's check the list of removed / dead / cancelled races and find out why (and who replaced them)?

Calder Park -> TBA -> replaced by Gold Coast (Indy)
Canberra -> change of government -> replaced by a second Eastern Creek round
Shanghai -> TBA -> replaced by Bahrain
Pukekohe -> moved for better crowds -> replaced by Hamilton
Oran Park -> sold for development, no chance of repica -> replaced by Homebush
Eastern Creek -> long-standing spat with ARDC -> replaced by Townsville

So what's going to replace a great track like Barbagallo???
Probably another bloody street circuit
Old 14 Feb 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2633149)   #58
HSVDT
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
HSVDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Have to say that reply is the biggest load of hogwash I have read for ages. If the track isn't up to the requirements then it won;t have a track licence.

It does and it is.

The sooner this BS about 'track not being up to scratch' is shown for what it is the better.
This is such an informative post (NOT) by you NewsStalker, I was expecting a strong rebuttal from you but you can't even debate the subject, all I will say is watch what happens over the next 12 months between VESA and the WASCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
HSVDT missed VESA not having the courtesy to stand by the timing VESA gave to the WASCC ....
cavvy, can you produce anything that states the exact date that VESA gave the WASCC, because I can't and I've read plenty of articles regarding VESA and the WASCC but none have shown a date to substantiate the claims of what the WASCC are now saying.

Wheatbelt Motorplex

The Dowerin Car Club was reformed at about the same time that the Wheatbelt Motorplex proposal was first put forward. Naturally the Club fully endorses and supports the Motorplex.

This development will see a first rate motorsports complex that's easily accessible to metropolitan and country enthusiasts alike. Not only will it be available for motorsport, but it is planned to have a driver education centre operating from the venue.

Work on the Motorplex has undertaken a number of 'background' stages, which are not apparent to the general public.

Below you'll see a sketch of a current proposed circuit layout. This shows a track that can hold races in either direction, is specified to V8 Supercar standards and, importantly, is also designed with motorbike racing in mind. Additionally part of the infield will house a go kart track.

As of early February 2010, the funding for 'headworks' has been received allowing the provision for power and water to be undertaken. A full site survey is also immenent.

For full details on the Wheatbelt Motorplex visit the Wheatbelt Motorplex site.

http://www.dowerincarclub.com/page12.htm

I really hope VESA goes with the Motorplex circuit once its finished atleast these guys can see the good that the V8s bring unlike a lot of people on here who have nothing better to do but bag the crap out VESA.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2633162)   #59
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cat is out of the bag!
Old 14 Feb 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2633176)   #60
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau View Post
VESA is just getting too smart for its own boots!!

They are fast becoming a 'noise' to governments and just may deal themselves out of favour

Mike
Sigh...
Old 14 Feb 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2633181)   #61
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Probably another bloody street circuit
The calender does seem a but saturated with Street Circuit Rounds...
Townsville, Sydney, Adelaide, Albert Park(NC), Hamilton, Surfers Paradise... I don't mind them as they provide intense action but too much of anything is never a good thing...
Old 14 Feb 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2633201)   #62
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is such an informative post (NOT) by you NewsStalker, I was expecting a strong rebuttal from you but you can't even debate the subject, all I will say is watch what happens over the next 12 months between VESA and the WASCC.

cavvy, can you produce anything that states the exact date that VESA gave the WASCC, because I can't and I've read plenty of articles regarding VESA and the WASCC but none have shown a date to substantiate the claims of what the WASCC are now saying.

Wheatbelt Motorplex

The Dowerin Car Club was reformed at about the same time that the Wheatbelt Motorplex proposal was first put forward. Naturally the Club fully endorses and supports the Motorplex.

This development will see a first rate motorsports complex that's easily accessible to metropolitan and country enthusiasts alike. Not only will it be available for motorsport, but it is planned to have a driver education centre operating from the venue.

Work on the Motorplex has undertaken a number of 'background' stages, which are not apparent to the general public.

Below you'll see a sketch of a current proposed circuit layout. This shows a track that can hold races in either direction, is specified to V8 Supercar standards and, importantly, is also designed with motorbike racing in mind. Additionally part of the infield will house a go kart track.

As of early February 2010, the funding for 'headworks' has been received allowing the provision for power and water to be undertaken. A full site survey is also immenent.

For full details on the Wheatbelt Motorplex visit the Wheatbelt Motorplex site.

http://www.dowerincarclub.com/page12.htm

I really hope VESA goes with the Motorplex circuit once its finished atleast these guys can see the good that the V8s bring unlike a lot of people on here who have nothing better to do but bag the crap out VESA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
That was little flippant of me HSVDT, however even if this complex gets built it is difficult to see how a town with a population of under 400 and no infrastucture of any description located approx 2 hour drive from the nearest "major" centre could possibly attract and sustain the numbers required for a V8 meeting. Even if they do have a, admittedly pre war, motor sport "heritage".
Old 14 Feb 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2633204)   #63
HSVDT
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
Quote:
I also noticed Queensland Raceways Mr Tetley has gone real quiet over the last week I wonder why.

Last edited by HSVDT; 14 Feb 2010 at 12:51. Reason: spelling error
Old 14 Feb 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2633471)   #64
cavvy
Veteran

is your word worth anything

[QUOTE=HSVDT;2633149]

WASCC statement:
The WA Sporting Car Club is disappointed that V8 Supercars have made a decision not to come to Perth this year. What is more disappointing is that this was announced on Monday 8th despite the V8s imposed deadline of Tuesday 9th 1:00 PM Queensland time, and the fact that we have still not been formally advised by V8Supercars as of 9am Saturday 13th February 2010

Now HSVDT, you can claim the WASCC is lying. Alternatively you can take VESAs silence ..

Dowerin:
Between 1927 and 1939, the town hosted one of the major racetracks in the state. The Second World War brought an end to the racing and when it started again afterwards, racers moved to a new track on the former Caversham Airfield near Perth. Later, they moved from Caversham to Wannneroo, which today is known as Barbagallo Raceway.

In May 2007, a vintage car motoring event was run to commemorate the town's history and its association with motor racing in Western Australia. Known as Theo's run, the event is named after a local who raced on the Dowerin track in its heyday in the 1930s and is expected to become an annual event. The 2007 event included a vintage car run from Perth with Jaguar and Riley cars participating.[4]
Old 14 Feb 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2633480)   #65
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
I also noticed Queensland Raceways Mr Tetley has gone real quiet over the last week I wonder why.
Hasnt he rented the track to VESA with the taxpayer underwriting damage to the track?

Is his view of VESA business ethics the same as Peter Thornell ?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 02:07 (Ref:2633617)   #66
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF the WA round doesn't go ahead, what's going to happen to the excess supply of soft tyres designated to be used solely by this round?

Also, did anyone see this in the WASCC release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivola View Post
WA Sporting Car Club Media release 13th February 2010

V8 SUPERCAR EVENT

...and this is in addition to the requirement for us to run two V8 events...
2???
Old 15 Feb 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2633630)   #67
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
IF the WA round doesn't go ahead, what's going to happen to the excess supply of soft tyres designated to be used solely by this round?

Also, did anyone see this in the WASCC release?

2???
Took a bit of understanding I agree.

Financial year is the reference, 2 events in one financial year (2009/10).
Few corporates are willing to blow budgets these days ... only one per annum event in the budget, only one event will be attended.

Not as many white shoed bean counters in WA as Q ?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2633643)   #68
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
That was little flippant of me HSVDT, however even if this complex gets built it is difficult to see how a town with a population of under 400 and no infrastucture of any description located approx 2 hour drive from the nearest "major" centre could possibly attract and sustain the numbers required for a V8 meeting. Even if they do have a, admittedly pre war, motor sport "heritage".
Based on these findings I don't see the project going ahead and if it does, it would be like Mallala... Good but not good enough.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 03:54 (Ref:2633656)   #69
HSVDT
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
lets see how much truth you hold

cavvy, I'll rephrase the question just for you, can you produce a definate date that VESA gave the WASCC prior to the WASCCs 13th of February media release statement. I bet you can't because there has been no dates in other articles that mention a deadline. As I stated earlier I have not found any dates in any other articles that substantiate the claims of a deadline date that the WASCC used in there 13th February statement.

On face value the WASCCs 13th February media statement hasn't harmed them but due to the heavy demands that they want they have lost some creditbility over it. Is the WASCC lying well if we all went off of that statement of theres I would say its 50/50.

The first thing that nailed it was the fact that the WASCC says it had 65,000 attendances in 2008 yet in 2009 that dropped by approx- 50% which doesn't ring true, the best crowd turnout at Barbagallo was close to 100,000 and the worst is 45,000 therefore so to drop another 12,500 just does not add up.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 04:10 (Ref:2633658)   #70
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
cavvy, I'll rephrase the question just for you, can you produce a definate date that VESA gave the WASCC prior to the WASCCs 13th of February media release statement. I bet you can't because there has been no dates in other articles that mention a deadline. As I stated earlier I have not found any dates in any other articles that substantiate the claims of a deadline date that the WASCC used in there 13th February statement.

On face value the WASCCs 13th February media statement hasn't harmed them but due to the heavy demands that they want they have lost some creditbility over it. Is the WASCC lying well if we all went off of that statement of theres I would say its 50/50.

The first thing that nailed it was the fact that the WASCC says it had 65,000 attendances in 2008 yet in 2009 that dropped by approx- 50% which doesn't ring true, the best crowd turnout at Barbagallo was close to 100,000 and the worst is 45,000 therefore so to drop another 12,500 just does not add up.
Clearly you believe Coch0 who is not publicly accountable. The WASCC are accountable to their members, a good many of whom would like to see V8s in WA. Be absolutely clear, the committee & its decisions will be publicly questioned.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 04:27 (Ref:2633662)   #71
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been a constant decline in people turning up to Wanneroo from the end of the group A era to now. Except for two times. Both of these where for superstar Farewells. Last year there was no cue to get into the track on the sunday!

Now what some people on the east coast don't know is anything about the WASCC and the History of these issues with V8 Supercars.

The Wascc has run 3 AGP's one of which almost killed the Club and is also the longest running car club / promoter in the country. All this is done off the back of a core group of volunteer's. ( Cavvy did his time I think )

If the club went under there are massive implications to the members.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 04:47 (Ref:2633664)   #72
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WA has what? 2 million people? There is only so much of an economic base, despite the mineral wealth, that can support a race track, especially to the Yas Marina quality that V8SC seems to want.

I think all this that has been happening for the past few years is just an angle to get a street race.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2633673)   #73
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
WA has what? 2 million people? There is only so much of an economic base, despite the mineral wealth, that can support a race track, especially to the Yas Marina quality that V8SC seems to want.

I think all this that has been happening for the past few years is just an angle to get a street race.

Exactly.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2633676)   #74
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I actually think that VESA gave up on the street race idea over there a couple of years ago Mountainstar - think that they may have even declared that at a media conference or in a release but I could be mistaken on that.

I agree with them that the pit lane & paddock area need work but I'm not at all convinced that all this shenanigans is all about that.

Seems to me that it is more commercially based than that but it also seems as if communications between the car club & VESA have effectively broken down when one is talking of offers to help with virtually nil response & the other is talking about a deadline that has yet to occur.

All a bit strange really as really don't think that the VESA board would lightly walk away from a WA round given its importance to sponsors and the fanbase there only having one opportunity to see the cars live each year without paying a lot of money for airfares etc.

A real shame.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2633723)   #75
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting three stories on the first two pages of MEnews this week.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish