Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 May 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2692070)   #1
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Egg Ford puts a $500,000 bounty on Whincups head!!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1225867446751

Hope the link works...

Essentially, Ford are offering $500,000 to DJR if they can topple JDub in the championship..
Old 16 May 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2692088)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice incentive - 1/2 mill is good in anyone's bank.
Old 16 May 2010, 23:33 (Ref:2692091)   #3
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa there.

That will be like waving a red flag to a bull.

At least JW has a good backup in Lowndes. Courtney, on the other hand, is on his own as Jr really is out of his depth in V8SC.

Looks like Ford are up to their old ways of shooting themselves in the groin.
Old 17 May 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2692132)   #4
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
Whoa there.

At least JW has a good backup in Lowndes. Courtney, on the other hand, is on his own as Jr really is out of his depth in V8SC.
10th in the Championship and out of his depth?

Johnson… 9 spots in the Championship behind his team mate…. And out of his depth.

Will Davison (10 spots behind Tander) and Kelly (12 spots behind his brother)... also out of their depth?

Come to think of it… Johnson’s currently beating Russell Ingall, Will Davison, Jason Bright, Todd Kelly and Greg Murphy… Do we assume that this lot are significantly out of their depth because they’re getting spanked by a guy who you consider isn’t up to the task?

That would seem the logical extension from your statement.
Old 17 May 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2692134)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still struggle with the concept of Ford supporting DJR, given that they have no capacity to build their own cars in the COTF universe..

Surely 888 wont design & build the new Ford Mondeo V8 while at the same time building their own Holden Cruze V8?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 May 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2692147)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure the current cars are sourced from 888, but DJR have built plenty of cars in the past. During its financially troubled period in 2005/06 DJR probably lost a fair bit of this knowledge, but now they are in much better financial shape they can tool up again.

DJR would be a bigger team than GRM I would imagine and they seem to know how to build a competitive car.

I think it would be a given that 888 will not build any more customer Fords.
Old 17 May 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2692151)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who says its not still financially troubled?
Old 17 May 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2692155)   #8
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Sure the current cars are sourced from 888, but DJR have built plenty of cars in the past. During its financially troubled period in 2005/06 DJR probably lost a fair bit of this knowledge, but now they are in much better financial shape they can tool up again.

DJR would be a bigger team than GRM I would imagine and they seem to know how to build a competitive car.

I think it would be a given that 888 will not build any more customer Fords.

The current DJR cars are built by T8, with T8 built and developed suspension and DJR continue to have a technical alliance with T8 Engineering. If DJR were building their own cars they would not be having the success that they are. DJR built cars have not been regular race winners sense the mid 90s when Ross and Jimmy Stone were at the team
Old 17 May 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2692156)   #9
DJR
Rookie

DJR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Who says its not still financially troubled?
There are no longer any financial problems at DJR.

Thanks.
Old 17 May 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2692159)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
There are no longer any financial problems at DJR.

Thanks.
So they dont need the $500k from Ford...
Old 17 May 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2692163)   #11
DJR
Rookie

DJR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not to stay afloat no.

Of course, the $$$ will be greatly recieved though if it does come off, what team wouldnt want 500K?
Old 17 May 2010, 04:08 (Ref:2692181)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Phelps strikes again!
Whincup's heartbreaking bump from Jonathan Webb on lap 44 stripped him of the championship lead.
never mind the deflated tyre there James, but how does that saying go, don't let the facts get in the way of journalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Styring
"James winning races is exactly what we need. He is really holding the Ford flag up at the moment.

"We are delighted with the performance of the team and the investment we have made."

"We are reviewing all of our funding for the next three years,"
of course it is exactly what Ford needs. 2nd in the Team championships, and 1st Ford. I'll bet they are glad they reversed their policy and ponied up for DJR. I wonder if the renewal of contracts will have something to do with the exit of a certain driver or 2 from FPR/SBR?

Quote:
I still struggle with the concept of Ford supporting DJR, given that they have no capacity to build their own cars in the COTF universe..

Surely 888 wont design & build the new Ford Mondeo V8 while at the same time building their own Holden Cruze V8?
why not? its just headlights
Old 17 May 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2692182)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR
Quote:
Not to stay afloat no.

Of course, the $$$ will be greatly recieved though if it does come off, what team wouldnt want 500K?
Depends how much of your soul has to be sold to get the $500k you would think...

If the commercial strength of the team was similar to that of Team Vodafone, manufacturer money would not really be required...
Old 17 May 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2692194)   #14
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some Ford people are getting a bit too excited atm.

T8 have proven time and time again they can rebound quickly... even if they start from the rear of the grid, they are capable of grabbing a win or strong placing. It's not often they are down for long.

And Courtney has had a purple patch lately (which is good for the ch/ship) but he (and his team) has yet to prove he is capable of sustaining the effort.
Old 17 May 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2692197)   #15
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
never mind the deflated tyre there James, but how does that saying go, don't let the facts get in the way of journalism?
I think he gets his 'facts' from our very own members on here.....
Old 17 May 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2692206)   #16
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Depends how much of your soul has to be sold to get the $500k you would think...

If the commercial strength of the team was similar to that of Team Vodafone, manufacturer money would not really be required...
Selling their soul? DJR have always been a Ford team, if one of their existing sponsors wants to up their support that can only be positive. Manufacturer money obviously does matter to Team Vodafone, they wouldn't have done the Holden deal otherwise.
Old 17 May 2010, 05:06 (Ref:2692210)   #17
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

T8 have proven time and time again they can rebound quickly... even if they start from the rear of the grid, they are capable of grabbing a win or strong placing. It's not often they are down for long.

And Courtney has had a purple patch lately (which is good for the ch/ship) but he (and his team) has yet to prove he is capable of sustaining the effort.
Agree with you on that one.... and I think it'd be hard to argue that without the T8 chassis DJR would be in the position they're in at the moment.
Old 17 May 2010, 05:17 (Ref:2692214)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Selling their soul? DJR have always been a Ford team, if one of their existing sponsors wants to up their support that can only be positive. Manufacturer money obviously does matter to Team Vodafone, they wouldn't have done the Holden deal otherwise.
Hah! The Holden deal was done out of pure spite
Old 17 May 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2692257)   #19
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Agree with you on that one.... and I think it'd be hard to argue that without the T8 chassis DJR would be in the position they're in at the moment.
but you always take the bragging rights when you can get them.....especially when it comes to this forum!
Old 17 May 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2692281)   #20
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do you just take Whincups head down to the local Ford dealer and they give you $500,000?

Does it have to be mounted or anything?
Old 17 May 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2692372)   #21
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Whincup has shown in the past he has problems in pressure situations - let's see what the future holds.
Old 17 May 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2692378)   #22
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hah! The Holden deal was done out of pure spite
And look now, they are being spanked by a Ford they built themselves! If after the season is done Courtney has won the series, then I guess they have cut off their nose to spite their own faces!
Old 17 May 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2692820)   #23
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Ford Racing does have a ticker.

Nice way to put a spin on the fact other teams could get reduced funding due to this.

Fantastic way to build up some real old fashioned rivarly, stir the pot with 888 and Whincup. Might even make some of the anti 888 Holden fans side up with them now.

What a pity there is'nt a round for another 4 weeks, by the time Darwin rolls around the media will have forgotten this story. Had it been a 2 week break they could have really pumped this one up if they wanted.

The other problem for Ford is, with the 4 week break the teams will spend the time tinkering with the cars in their workshop. Something 888 are very good at.
Old 17 May 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2692908)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last I checked the championship was not awarded in May, so Mr. Twinkletoes has a way to go before he wins the championship.

Regardless of the fact that I don't like JC the driver, kudos to Ford for adding an incentive for DJR to do well. I'm always a DJR fan. Always have been.
Old 17 May 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2692920)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
So do you just take Whincups head down to the local Ford dealer and they give you $500,000?

Does it have to be mounted or anything?

Well.. if its that much just for the head, how much for the whole body??