Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2852931)   #1
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adjustable rear wing

After watching practice with the drivers getting used to being able to use the adjustable wing everywhere. I was wondering why simply limit the wing a certain circumstance only in the race before even seeing it's effect in a race when they can use it everywhere?

They are a replacement for the F-duct, which they thought enabled overtaking and they could be used anywhere so why not use this wing in the same way. I don't see the problem with trying that for a race or two and if it doesn't help overtaking then they can limit it.

At the moment it seems like a complete gimmick to artificially help the guy behind by giving him a faster car. I don't see why the guy behind deserves this as he obviously hasn't driven as good a race or qualified as well. They don't activate outboard motors on rowing boats to help out a slower crew if one boat falls a length behind!
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2852938)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's been brought in explicitly to aid overtaking. If every driver could use it at any time under race conditions it wouldn't serve any purpose at all. The defending driver could simply open his slot, cancelling out any advantage gained by the guy behind.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2852944)   #3
browney
Racer

Australia
But doesn't it seem completely artificial then? Like playing a computer game and getting a boost because you are falling behind.

How did the F-duct help overtaking, as you could use that anywhere?
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2852945)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
But doesn't it seem completely artificial then? Like playing a computer game and getting a boost because you are falling behind.
It certainly is artificial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
How did the F-duct help overtaking, as you could use that anywhere?
The f-duct wasn't mandated throughout the field by the FIA. It was introduced by McLaren to exploit a gap in the rules and gain an advantage. It ceased to give them an advantage once their rivals had copied it.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2853052)   #5
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It didn't seem to be helping Vettel get past Alonso in P2 when most teams were simulating race conditions yesterday....
Old 25 Mar 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2853136)   #6
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'race simulation' in practice, when the teams are trying to get tyre data, aero data, engine data etc etc without breaking their car, or showing their hand too early, is not the place to draw conclusions about the system.

When Vettel is faced with passing Alonso with 5 laps remaining and a win at stake, then we shall see how good it is.

Also bear in mind that the Renault engine is underpowered, so Vettel passing Alonso will be much harder than a Mercedes engine passing Alonso. This isn't an issue, as otherwise the Red Bulls will pass everyone and win every race. We can't stop them winning from the front, but we can try to stop them winning from further back!!!
Old 25 Mar 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2853294)   #7
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa_Rob View Post
It didn't seem to be helping Vettel get past Alonso in P2 when most teams were simulating race conditions yesterday....
I think they were only simulating the actual positioning of the wing use zone, not the one second rule, so probly both of them were using the wing at the same time - not just the guy behind as it would be in a race
Old 26 Mar 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2853505)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should let them use it whenever in a race. Being unable to defend your position is just outrageously silly.

We did, however, see the downside to ARW today with Sutil having his moment.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2853514)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the idea of the ARW, I'm just not sure if this whole "thunderzone" one place on the track thing is a good idea. Perhaps during the race limit it's use to anywhere on the circuit but once per lap (with the lap start/end being the first corner for this purpose)? If it's once per lap it would be tactical like KERS, for example at Silverstone you could use it down the Hangar Straight or on the run down to Brooklands.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2853528)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
They should let them use it whenever in a race. Being unable to defend your position is just outrageously silly.
I suppose that you could defend your position as you normally would when confronted by a faster car. See a Mr M.Schumacher for suggestions on how to do so.

Quote:
It's only has a downside if you use it the way Sutil did.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2853546)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I am 100% with you on this one..
Old 26 Mar 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2853550)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If you let them use it whenever in a race, then it just cancels itself out. A bit like everyone having an F-duct to use. And as Liuzzi showed, there is a skill to using it correctly when you can use it.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2853554)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's clever but very artificial as others have said..
Old 26 Mar 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2853562)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not really clever as such, it is the most last resort piece of thinking in the history of F1.

As duke_toaster said, it would be better if there was a strategic element similar to KERS. I was genuinely shocked when I found out they were limiting it to one straight. You should have to fight to pass your adversary, not effectively be waved past.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2853614)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's hope it doesn't lead to too much overtaking. Otherwise the fans will not like it.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2853618)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I have created a device which turns my telly off whenever someone uses the adjustable rear wing to make a pass.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2853623)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm skeptical it will do any good. By midseason you will see it not even being an issue. Just like KERS and the Pirelli tyres.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2853624)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I am calling AT&T U-Verse for a refund...
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2853625)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am still convinced the best way to improve the show is to put the cars on good tracks.

Interlagos, Spa, Canada always produce corkers regardless of the rules.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2853628)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Let's hope it doesn't lead to too much overtaking. Otherwise the fans will not like it.
Most would much rather just watch Alonso struggle to get by Petrov, and maybe even tomorrow they will still prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I have created a device which turns my telly off whenever someone uses the adjustable rear wing to make a pass.
I've got a similar one which turns my telly off whenever team orders are blatantly used. I suspect that it won't be half as active as your device, however.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2853636)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
I am still convinced the best way to improve the show is to put the cars on good tracks.
Relieving them of the majority of their downforce would ensure that they could race on any tracks. But F1 fans would then be up in arms about F1 cars being too slow, which is why we now have the ARW to ensure that the cars are still F1 fan friendly and still have a chance of getting by the car in front.

If only all of those other series would slice a chunk of downforce off of their cars we might not then get the complaints or the gimmicks.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2853638)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I told you people would be complaining..
Old 26 Mar 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2853660)   #23
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

It's only has a downside if you use it the way Sutil did.
Hehehehehe. He used it to good effect there. Was lucky he got away with that.

I wonder if the wing would help with drifting into a corner? I am thinking of a Piquet style around the outside of Senna (in Hungary 1986). Sutil certainly used it nearly that way.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2853816)   #24
browney
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I like to see overtaking, but seeing a driver with a faster car overtaken by a slower one, on the straight, just because of a rule is not what I had in mind. Where is the driver skill in that?

What would be wrong with drastically reducing downforce and giving them more powerful engines so that lap times don't blow out, rather than gimmicks? That way the cars would be slower mid corner and we might see more possible overtaking lines (like watching 1000cc motorcycles race, especially if there is not traction control).

All said, I actually thought last year was a fantastic season with only one or two tracks that had bad races (ie. Circuit de Catalunya). I think we were 90% of the way last year. If those cars had more restrictions on the front and rear wings, no double decker diffusers and maybe slightly larger engines (or raise the rpm limit, allow more engines per season or have KERS, etc.), I'd be happy enough to let it alone.

Last edited by browney; 27 Mar 2011 at 01:32.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2853837)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Most would much rather just watch Alonso struggle.
Fixed.