Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2023, 13:49 (Ref:4168086)   #1
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apple/Brad Pitt F1 Movie

I am creating a thread as a home for discussion on the topic of the new movie that is currently under production. To kick off things I had a few items I found interesting...

First is the sponsorship shown on the car. It's a mixture of existing F1 sponsors and new. As they are not a real team, but will be in front of the target audience of F1 sponsors, it is interesting to me as to who and how the sponsors showed up on the car.

Existing F1 sponsorship/supplier
* Pirelli
* MSC Cruises

Shared sponsorship with Mercedes
* IWC Schaffhausen
* Tommy Hilfiger
* AMG

New via Apple
* Expensify
* Shark/Ninja
* Geico
* EA Sports

The article below talks about how Apple sold sponsorship on the car. I wonder what the rate card was for this for the new sponsors? And if the shared sponsors with Mercedes/F1 were maybe part of compensation for both of their contributions (F1 in general and Mercedes for the body on the GP2 car)

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...brad-pitt.aspx

Second is the topic of Brad Pitt and F1

Sky had a good interview between Pitt and Brundle. I assume all is now well after Pitt shrugged off Brundle's interview attempt at last years US GP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjC5l3cYug

In the interview Brad says he really hasn't had time in a race car. But in another article it calls out that as part of the project work with Mercedes, they talk about how Mercedes sent him off to a racing school in France

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ovie/10493113/

As to the movie itself. I post earlier in another thread and will try to not fully repeat that post...

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...86#post4167186

But in general, the movie will have to work hard to not use common racing movie tropes that we will roll our eyes at. And while there is good non-fiction drama in F1, it may not always be enough to carry a movie. So we should expect things to be overly dramatic for entertainment purposes. I assume like most I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst when it comes to motorsports movies.

Richard
Old 12 Jul 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4168088)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why on earth would I want to watch a fictional Hollywood account of F1, using fictional Wannabee F1 cars, when I can watch the real thing either live a couple of dozen times a year to saturation or on demand 24/7 from the comfort of my lounge-room?

Asking for a friend.

Last edited by E.B; 12 Jul 2023 at 14:17.
Old 12 Jul 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4168097)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Why on earth would I want to watch a fictional Hollywood account of F1, using fictional Wannabee F1 cars, when I can watch the real thing either live a couple of dozen times a year to saturation or on demand 24/7 from the comfort of my lounge-room?

Asking for a friend.
I view that sort of like ask why would you watch Star Wars if you can just watch SpaceX launches on YouTube on a nearly weekly basis.

I am not saying this new movie is going to be Star Wars level of cultural impact, but if you look at the few good racing movies, how much "on track" action is there? For sure there is always going to be some set piece racing scenes (such as the extended Monaco and Monza scenes in "Grand Prix"), but overall it is going to be a story set within the F1 universe.

But this is going to be how many F1 fans will look at it. Lets say the movie is considered to be "good" by the average viewer. They may call out things like "I really enjoyed the story of how the experience driver helped the new driver" while F1 fans will say "Did you see the driver close ups in the car? No tear offs on his helmet! Complete garbage of a movie!! Unwatchable!!!"

Richard
Old 12 Jul 2023, 14:45 (Ref:4168102)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder what the end product will be like because Hamilton, as well as "coaching" Pitt, is also one of the producers of the film. I assume that that means he may have had to put his hand on a chequebook too.

To add to the question about "sponsors" on the car and racing apparel, as Hamilton is involved in the project, it is possible that he has had some influence on who came on board as they may also be his personal backers rather than Mercedes.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 12 Jul 2023 at 14:50. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 12 Jul 2023, 14:50 (Ref:4168104)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Q: Will it be as good as "Rush"?

A: No.
Old 12 Jul 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4168107)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I wonder what the end product will be like because Hamilton, as well as "coaching" Pitt, is also one of the producers of the film. I assume that that means he may have had to put his hand on a chequebook too.
I agree. Plus Mercedes involvement. I hope it results in the F1 universe being relatively accurate. Based upon that interview between Pitt and Brundle, it sounds like they are trying to get it right.

While I will have access to Apple TV+ content, I can't help to be a bit disappointed that distribution is limited to a relatively smaller platform. And this may result in limited viewership vs. a wider distribution deal. I assume that the movie was pitched to various studios and Apple Studios/Apple TV+ are the ones who won the distribution rights.

Richard
Old 12 Jul 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4168113)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I agree. Plus Mercedes involvement. I hope it results in the F1 universe being relatively accurate. Based upon that interview between Pitt and Brundle, it sounds like they are trying to get it right.

While I will have access to Apple TV+ content, I can't help to be a bit disappointed that distribution is limited to a relatively smaller platform. And this may result in limited viewership vs. a wider distribution deal. I assume that the movie was pitched to various studios and Apple Studios/Apple TV+ are the ones who won the distribution rights.

Richard
It is having a global theatre release too.

Guaranteed minimum of 30 days, possibly extending to 60 days before moving to the streaming platform.
Old 12 Jul 2023, 15:20 (Ref:4168115)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Guaranteed minimum of 30 days, possibly extending to 60 days before moving to the streaming platform.
thats what i was thinking and same as what Apple is doing with their new Scorsese movie and the same that Disney does for most of their movies now.

it will start with the traditional wide theatrical release and then after a couple of months it shows up on their streaming platforms.

make money money!

and im looking forward to it....if its good then great and if its bad i can look forward to moaning about it!
Old 12 Jul 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4168117)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But in general, the movie will have to work hard to not use common racing movie tropes that we will roll our eyes at.
endless upshifting always has me wondering how many gears does a movie race car have!
Old 12 Jul 2023, 15:46 (Ref:4168119)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
endless upshifting always has me wondering how many gears does a movie race car have!
Haha. Yeah, the endless upshifting.

My favorite is the two cars side by side down a long straight. The two drivers look at each other. Their eyes meet. The "evil" driver sneers, the "good" driver downshifts, gives it gas and passes. The "evil" driver wonders what just happened!!!

In short, the downshift and pass thing is just ridiculous. Maybe that is what DRS is today.

Richard
Old 12 Jul 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4168120)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My favorite is the two cars side by side down a long straight. The two drivers look at each other. Their eyes meet. The "evil" driver sneers, the "good" driver downshifts, gives it gas and passes. The "evil" driver wonders what just happened!!!
And then there's the silly runway scene in Fast and Furious 6, where the runway itself must be almost 30km long to make the scene work at the speeds they're doing

In fairness though, that franchise never attempts to be anything other than endless machismo and explosions. A bit like Helmut Marko
Old 12 Jul 2023, 19:59 (Ref:4168152)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

In short, the downshift and pass thing is just ridiculous. Maybe that is what DRS is today.
Many a true word spoken in jest!
Old 13 Jul 2023, 02:14 (Ref:4168174)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Many a true word spoken in jest!
Haha. You know I think DRS is a necessary evil, but I did put that comment in for those of you who don't like DRS. I mean... it is sort of true.

I can imagine that in the movie when there is the eventual mano e mano on track scene. That they are just not gonna have a driver push a button to pass and resolve the conflict. The audience will be like WTF? He could have just pushed a button all along???

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4168191)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was intrigued to see how the film would go, despite the Drivel style plot. However Pitt playing a driver who's making a return after a 30 year absence just does not make sense. I can't see that happening in any sport, let alone F1. The youngest driver who last raced in F1 30 years ago is Emanuele Naspetti, who is 55
Old 13 Jul 2023, 08:00 (Ref:4168193)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
However Pitt playing a driver who's making a return after a 30 year absence just does not make sense. I can't see that happening in any sport, let alone F1. The youngest driver who last raced in F1 30 years ago is Emanuele Naspetti, who is 55
Remember it's Hollywood so a bit of poetic license in terms of what is realistic is expected.

Just because something has not happened previously, doesn't mean it can't happen in the future.

If you want an example of a long break from top level motorsport before returning - Sobies?aw Jan Zasada is your man.
Old 13 Jul 2023, 08:38 (Ref:4168198)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Cool. Will it have a gym / workout montage, set to some upbeat inspiring music, whereby the fat old overweight driver transforms themselves into a chiselled hunk with a 6 pack?
Old 13 Jul 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4168206)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I will go and watch it "at a theatre near you". I've been disappointed with many listed here (not forgetting LM66 so stupid imo) and my favourites remain the real Le Mans by Steve McQueen and Grand Prix even if I'm quite aware they mainly used FJ's in F1 guise. Still love the sound tracks too. Age and bad taste help to make up my choices sometimes. And John Frankenheimer was second to none to chose the right cars.

Thanks for the thread, good idea Richard Casto!
Old 13 Jul 2023, 15:08 (Ref:4168249)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Cool. Will it have a gym / workout montage, set to some upbeat inspiring music, whereby the fat old overweight driver transforms themselves into a chiselled hunk with a 6 pack?
They clearly need to do a homage to this (maybe only those who enjoyed the 80's will get this) including using the same music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgJenz0ZK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thanks for the thread, good idea Richard Casto!
Your welcome! And feel free to call me Richard.

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2023, 15:33 (Ref:4168253)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
To be honest most motor racing films have on release been dissapointing but after a time they seem to get better, however some do hit the mark first time, le mans 66 was great and Rush was brilllant in MHO
Old 13 Jul 2023, 23:16 (Ref:4168307)   #20
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
As long as you don't over analyse every finer detail and just appreciate it for some entertainment I'm sure it will be great.
Old 14 Jul 2023, 06:30 (Ref:4168328)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Rush was ok, although for me the weakest parts of racing films is the actual racing. They rarely get it right and nearly always use the same “press the gas pedal harder” in order to overtake cars at an “emotionally crucial story moment” crutch. Also I think I spotted every real location for what it was in Rush, filming at Brands Hatch and putting a few Agip, Ferrari and Italian flags in the background didn’t fool me into thinking it was Fiorano.
Old 14 Jul 2023, 06:35 (Ref:4168329)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
As long as you don't over analyse every finer detail and just appreciate it for some entertainment I'm sure it will be great.
Point well made!
Old 14 Jul 2023, 06:37 (Ref:4168330)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Rush was ok, although for me the weakest parts of racing films is the actual racing. They rarely get it right and nearly always use the same “press the gas pedal harder” in order to overtake cars at an “emotionally crucial story moment” crutch. Also I think I spotted every real location for what it was in Rush, filming at Brands Hatch and putting a few Agip, Ferrari and Italian flags in the background didn’t fool me into thinking it was Fiorano.
I think these two comments go well together. As 'F1 Fans' we will over-analyse every final detail, criticise all of the corny 'press the gas pedal harder' moments and try to spot the 'real' film locations.
I know I will and will take great enjoyment from doing so!
Old 14 Jul 2023, 07:42 (Ref:4168337)   #24
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I spent the entire length of Rush muttering "Donington Cadwell Snetterton Brands Oulton" at the racing scenes. Some bits I found really uncomfortable as they were going in the wrong direction!

Except the Lauda crash, which they filmed at the actual site in Germany. Cleverly, from the same camera position as in the original footage.

Good film. I enjoyed it, even with the embellishments.

As to the Pitt film - I got a close look at one of the cars in the Merc paint shop a couple of weeks ago, the way they'd tweaked the base GP2 car was really clever. We did hear though that the engine noise will be overdubbed as the cars still have the older V8 in them!
Old 14 Jul 2023, 08:26 (Ref:4168341)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I thought the Lauda crash in Rush was done perfectly frame by frame. It really did look like the real accident