Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2023, 14:22 (Ref:4168909)   #51
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The statements made by the guy in the car, and spending the money, beg to differ. But sure, we'll go internet expert over dude who's actually been seen in the car, with cameras, and has the video to support him. And even if they don't use any of it, what's it to you?? Were you the extra they were gonna use, were you somehow inline for that time on track, did they steal your car?? If he wants to have fun with the car he has at his disposal why does it require YOUR approval of the ends, maybe he just is tired of hearing internet experts cry and put a helmet on. Maybe he wants to know a bit of what he perceives the speed and look as to know what he is looking for first hand
Here we go with the bedroom keyboard warrior, who’s never been to an F1 track ever.

I was there and I never saw him drive, nor heard any suggestion he really did drive, apart from the aforementioned journo told me he did ‘a lot of the driving’ but one of the actual drivers just laughed, and I’ve known him a long time.

I don’t care if he drove or not. And it doesn’t require my approval. But there would be a lot of legal issues around that, especially if he drove with the public in attendance, which I doubt.

Also, as I said, a GP2 is a nightmare to pull away in and without a high level of fitness you wouldn’t even be able to turn the steering wheel at any speed, as it’s ridiculously heavy.

Last edited by peebee2; 18 Jul 2023 at 14:27.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4168913)   #52
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Difficult to believe anyone would insure a 59 year old actor driving a modified 600 bhp GP2 car.
I expect there are limits imposed upon the production along those lines, but I also expect that within specific conditions it would be allowed.

Quote:
In fact I’d be surprised if he was capable of even getting it out of the garage.
Why?

I believe I read that Mercedes sent Pitt off to a drivers school not just for basic driving instruction, but also to work him up through a series of formula cars. I can't imagine they just brought him to Silverstone and dumped him into a GP2 car (even for slow laps).

While we might want to look down on celebrities as being some type of sub-humans, we have plenty of examples in which journalists, entertainers, celebrities have driven race cars and powerful formula cars including F1. Not to say they didn't have problems or that they are even remotely quick when in the most extreme cars, but it is doable. Granted "getting out of the garage" probably is challenging given the sharp turn and working the clutch is a tall order. Pulling away in the pit lane would be much easier. But otherwise I see no reason that with appropriate training and with constraints as to what he will be done, it should be completely doable (driving in general, not pulling out of garage... I doubt they ask him to do that)

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 18 Jul 2023 at 15:05.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 15:04 (Ref:4168914)   #53
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But there would be a lot of legal issues around that, especially if he drove with the public in attendance, which I doubt.
I suspect Pitt being in the car on track was likely done in advance of most of the race weekend. I think most of the weekend filming was probably pro drivers and the actors intermingling with others outside of the cars.

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2023, 15:09 (Ref:4168915)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This is a big step, very few racing films have really worked on the big screen.

I am just not sure this film will do the job, despite all the work that is going into it. I think Pitt needs to think carefully for this, but at least he's trying. At least the GP2 car looks good

Really I have no problems with celebrities in general, plenty of them have worked hard to get where they were. And yes plenty of people from outside racing have tried their hand at it. Some have done nothing, some have done alright and some have achieved quite a bit. Certainly driving a racing car, especially a single seater is no easy feat, but there's no reason why it can't be done, but it can take time
Old 18 Jul 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4168918)   #55
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I suspect Pitt being in the car on track was likely done in advance of most of the race weekend. I think most of the weekend filming was probably pro drivers and the actors intermingling with others outside of the cars.
Also, Pitt driving in the car for close ups may not even have been filmed at Silverstone. So Pitt's comments about driving the car, maybe it was done elsewhere. What is interesting is the surprising lack of details on any of this online.

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2023, 16:38 (Ref:4168928)   #56
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Why?
Because it has a knife-edge hand clutch, a throttle where 1% input is the difference between stalling and revving the tats off it, and steering that a layman would need to be prime Schwarzenegger to turn the wheel even a tiny amount!

Last edited by peebee2; 18 Jul 2023 at 16:53.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 17:04 (Ref:4168929)   #57
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Also, Pitt driving in the car for close ups may not even have been filmed at Silverstone. So Pitt's comments about driving the car, maybe it was done elsewhere. What is interesting is the surprising lack of details on any of this online.

Richard
Toto Wolff: “We were involved pretty early when they had the first discussions. We sent Brad to a driving school in France, going through the formula cars from Formula 4 all the way up and that was important.”
Old 18 Jul 2023, 17:13 (Ref:4168931)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And as I have already said, he was supposed to be driving at Silverstone on the Monday after the GP; the film producers booked the circuit for that purpose.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 17:19 (Ref:4168932)   #59
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And as I have already said, he was supposed to be driving at Silverstone on the Monday after the GP; the film producers booked the circuit for that purpose.
Maybe you’re right. I’m sure you can teach him to drive the car. But I can tell you he’s not strong enough to steer a GP2. I’ve seen him.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 17:40 (Ref:4168935)   #60
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe you’re right. I’m sure you can teach him to drive the car. But I can tell you he’s not strong enough to steer a GP2. I’ve seen him.

I don't know how heavy the steering may be, but has it occurred to you that Mercedes may have installed power steering because of that. I don't know, but I would guess that you don't either. We also wouldn't know about whether they installed modifications to the clutch, or anything else for that matter to make it easier to drive. I assume that money was not a major problem, and things that would help him drive shouldn't cost the end of the world.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4168937)   #61
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
But I can tell you he’s not strong enough to steer a GP2. I’ve seen him.
Did you lock eyes? Did you have a moment? Did you talk about "fight club"? Sorry, that was ridiculous of me to say. About as ridiculous as being so certain the he would be unable to turn the wheel on a GP2 car. We have no idea as to his fitness level. I mean he "looks" decently fit to me from the photos of him at Silverstone.

It sounds like I am pumping up Brad as some type of racing god. I am just saying the man is probably perfectly capable of running a few laps at a slow pace after having gone through some training. They also probably don't put him in a position of having to make sharp turns at low speed where steering force will be the greatest. As stated earlier, nobody is going to ask him to drive out the garage as if that is some type of bar that needs to be met.

I can't believe I am discussing Brad Pitt's fitness level. I am done!

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4168942)   #62
peebee2
Veteran

Decently fit and GP2 steering don’t mix. I’ve seen good level F3 drivers unable to turn the wheel properly.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 19:16 (Ref:4168948)   #63
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
only actor who can drive an F1 car is Tom Cruise...just saying!

how come he's not in this movie?
Old 18 Jul 2023, 19:53 (Ref:4168954)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
only actor who can drive an F1 car is Tom Cruise...just saying!

how come he's not in this movie?
He couldn't reach the pedals........
Old 18 Jul 2023, 19:55 (Ref:4168955)   #65
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many spectators thought that Pitt was behind the wheel as the cars started the formation lap on Sunday, however, what most had failed to spot was that Pitt, who drove two hot laps on Saturday, had not walked all the way back to his car’s cockpit. Amid the high stakes of having just one shot to get the scene right and additional fears of a Just Stop Oil protest, the film’s directors were taking no chances. Instead of Pitt and his co-star Damson Idris featuring behind the wheel, former racers turned stuntmen Craig Dolby and Luciano Bacheta stepped in.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 23:00 (Ref:4168964)   #66
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
This thread is so classic ten-tenths, a bunch of intellectual d*** measuring, I know this famous guy, I've seen this guy one time and know everything about him, no you're wrong, rinse and repeat
Old 19 Jul 2023, 02:32 (Ref:4168972)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Old 19 Jul 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4168988)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
.....Pitt and his co-star Damson Idris.....
Is that a real name? Presumably he has the 'plums' for the job......
Old 19 Jul 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4169020)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Is that a real name?
Technically no - his real name is 'Adamson', but when growing up he was always known as Damson so stuck with it for his career.

(and before anyone asks - I don't know if he has the strength to drive a modified F2 car)
Old 19 Jul 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4169036)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think I saw that the movie will be on hold while Brad Pitt joins the Hollywood picket line
Old 19 Jul 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4169040)   #71
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pitt: I drove the car
TenTenths user: WELL I DIDN'T SEE IT

You haven't seen me hike mountains either, doesn't mean i didn't do it. christ.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 12:09 (Ref:4169044)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think I saw that the movie will be on hold while Brad Pitt joins the Hollywood picket line
Good news, hefting all of those heavy placards should build his muscles up a bit.......
Old 19 Jul 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4169053)   #73
S griffin
Veteran

Mind you he was at Wimbledon, wonder if he’s going to incorporate a bit of tennis into his film . Judging by what the storyline is I wouldn’t be surprised
Old 19 Jul 2023, 13:01 (Ref:4169055)   #74
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Good news, hefting all of those heavy placards should build his muscles up a bit.......
But will it be enough to drive two laps in a modified F2 car?
Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4169068)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

he has driven a RB (show car of course) before tho...did pretty well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyW8FdzH9dg

with bonus cruiser doing rolls in the RB helicopter at the end!